98 Z28 suddenly running rough, vibrates .. - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

98 Z28 suddenly running rough, vibrates ..

Hi everyone, Newby questions here. My Z was running great, then last night I leave work and immediately feel a differance. sort of a vibration under my seat, it starts fine , no hesitation, no check engine lights, but it felt wrong, steering is tight, shifts fine etc.. sounded differant, felt differant, and that bumpy feeling under thendriver seat.my husband took it for a spin and said its not firing on all cylinders.. he will be checking this out, he is good with cars especially older ones, but my wife to husband automotive communication skills are lacking, he is a Brit and sometimes uses differant terms too. he is a sports car and roadster guy, but once he drove my Z28 he loves it too, this is my my dream car and I want to understand it, not sit back and let the men take over totally, lol...so, does " not running on all cylanders" mean the same as misfiring ?
Any ideas what we should look for ?

Thanks,
Lori

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
CZ Staff
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Yes, 'not running on all cylinders' would likely mean a misfire. You would for sure be throwing a code if that is the case.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

but no lights came on, except the low coolant light came on a few times the week before (previous thread) but coolant level was ok, though needed topping off once, only had the car about 2 weeks. vacation this coming week, we have time to really deal with it all now.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

ok, so now the car is running great again, no misfires, no nothing.. like it never happenend..and i was all gloom and doom and "blown head gasket arghhh" glad my husband drove it yesterday and heard and felt the same thing i did, at least he doesnt think i am nuts. what the heck.. ?? well, its still time for a thorough checkup, tune up tighten up this week.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

so, new water pump, new belts, AC charged, not throwing any codes, putting in a new thermostat today.. it hasnt misfired since that one day, but its really bugging me that it did it for a half a day and i dont know why.. the hood was up while i topped off coolant before drive home, and t was sprinkling out, could something getting wet have caused it? the vwry next day it was all better. cars dont get the flu and recover, lol, it neeeds a reason.. any thoughts?
thanks,
Lori
Old 06-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
CZ's Audio Yoda
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriFlex55 View Post
so, new water pump, new belts, AC charged, not throwing any codes, putting in a new thermostat today.. it hasnt misfired since that one day, but its really bugging me that it did it for a half a day and i dont know why.. the hood was up while i topped off coolant before drive home, and t was sprinkling out, could something getting wet have caused it? the vwry next day it was all better. cars dont get the flu and recover, lol, it neeeds a reason.. any thoughts?
thanks,
Lori
It's possible. Just keep a close eye/ear on how it runs for a few days.

2001 Camaro SS LS1
T56
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #7

Check your transmission dupport mount if it got loose it could csuse the vibration metal on metal.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySka View Post
Check your transmission dupport mount if it got loose it could csuse the vibration metal on metal.
Hi . thanks for answering. it only did it that one day, and has been running great since i replaced the waterpump and thermostat. will double check that however! a couple other things were loose when i got it. (wires, battery)
Sincerely,
Lori
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #9

yes I would because I had the same problem for awhile it showed up once in awhile and would never figure out what the problem was until.my Tranny went out n they told me ur support mount that holds ur tranny is broken! (Causing vibrations) Did not know I was suppose to check that.lesson learned! tranny had to be rebuilt.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

was your transmission auto or manual? dont know if that would matter though.. was the fact it was bouncing around what messed up the tranny or is it just that once it went they saw the problem?

by the way, i saw that you are new to CamaroZone, welcome! did you see the intro thread where everyone says hello?
thanks again!
Lori