Camaro Zone Forums banner

Bad Maf?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  jrflint93 
#1 · (Edited)
I believe ive narrowed down the issues that my auto 02 Trans Am has been having too the MAF. When driving sometimes the rpms will surge up a few rpms then back down to cruise speed. Also the car would stall when I would come to a stop and after changing to D or R. At WOT the tranny wouldn't shift at the right time. I cleaned the MAF with some MAF cleaner today and it shifted better at WOT but it did take a while to shift and hit the red line before it did. Its been so long since it shifted normal that I forgot what normal was. I haven't seen it surge or stall out on me for the short time I have drove it. Do the symptoms match up with a dirty or bad MAF? Should I consider buying a new one entirely? Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
Did that test a few days ago, idle was rough and it stalled a few times, but it drove smooth and a little bit better. It was throwing some codes, but I had the battery out so the computer reset itself and took the codes away. Just off the top of my head I remember there was 02 sensor codes, knock sensor code, and a maf code. I'm waiting for them to pop back up so I can get the exact codes.

#5 ·
Post ur exact codes when you are able to find out what they are. My 98 acted in a similar way and it was the MAF

98 camaro ss torch red Ls1 .10 speedpro pistons, XR281HR Comp cam,rr,springs 5.3 tsp heads / typhoon intake, 36lb inj / procomp 102mm tb, 3.73, 3000 edge converter

#6 ·
So a little bit of an update. I replaced the maf and it seemed to fix the stalling and smoothed out my idle a bunch. Still having some issues with shifting it seems, haven't had a good chance to test it due to icy roads. Some codes finally poped, P0430 and P0420, and has low efficiency on bank 1 and 2 for both the codes. Does this mean its time for new cats or could something else be causing this?

#9 ·
I would check your o2 sensors and wiring/plugs to them. Thats where i believe your problem is. Could be cats but i would check sensors first

98 camaro ss torch red Ls1 .10 speedpro pistons, XR281HR Comp cam,rr,springs 5.3 tsp heads / typhoon intake, 36lb inj / procomp 102mm tb, 3.73, 3000 edge converter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.