Electric Door locks - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 03-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Electric Door locks

Sup guys. So iam trying to get a alarm installed in my 01 Camaro but the shop is trying to charge me like 150 to fix the door locks( crazy ppl )...
Since ive bought the car they haven't worked. The windows work great on both drivers and passengers but when you hit the switch to lock or unlock all I hear is a click coming from the passenger side lower panel. But no movement whatsoever. I changed the whole electric switch on the driver side and still no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
camaroguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy1 View Post
Sup guys. So iam trying to get a alarm installed in my 01 Camaro but the shop is trying to charge me like 150 to fix the door locks( crazy ppl )...
Since ive bought the car they haven't worked. The windows work great on both drivers and passengers but when you hit the switch to lock or unlock all I hear is a click coming from the passenger side lower panel. But no movement whatsoever. I changed the whole electric switch on the driver side and still no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
If you are hearing a click, then they are working...... But, reason for not actually unlocking could be an actuator problem. or the rod is bent, not allowing the locks to unlock.

I will guess the $150 charge is more for labor. Requiring door panel removal to fix your issue. Yes, this is something you can do yourself. If, you know what to do.

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercsaudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercmann View Post
If you are hearing a click, then they are working...... But, reason for not actually unlocking could be an actuator problem. or the rod is bent, not allowing the locks to unlock.

I will guess the $150 charge is more for labor. Requiring door panel removal to fix your issue. Yes, this is something you can do yourself. If, you know what to do.
Well im no door expert but I can deff. take of a door panel. Im going to remove it and check if I see anything bent like you said. Do you think replacing the actuator might do the trick??
The doors lock and unlock manually perfectly fine, but if im going to get a alarm id rather it be working properly.
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Definitely don't have a shop do the repair until you know what the problem is.

Neither door locks when you press the lock button? Or is it just the passenger door that doesn't lock? I think the only possible cause we've eliminated is the driver's door switch so far.
Quote:
...when you hit the switch to lock or unlock all I hear is a click coming from the passenger side lower panel...
By "Passenger side lower panel" do you mean perhaps the lower passenger side of the dashboard, roughly behind and below the glovebox? That is where the Body control module is, which houses the door lock relay.

I would suggest opening the door panel, then unplugging the door lock actuator, and then putting an LED test light (or voltmeter) on the leads to the door lock actuator. Then cycle the lock button a couple times for lock and unlock. If the LED flashes (or the voltmeter registers) at either lock or unlock, then you have a bad actuator. If the LED doesn't flash, then your BCM has a faulty door lock relay. Repairing that will be a bitch if you don't know how to do circuit board repairs.They are flashed to be VIN specific, so your options are to buy and flash one, or repair the one you have if it is damaged.
Quote:
Do you think replacing the actuator might do the trick??
Not just yet - the actuator is a pretty expensive part to just throw at the problem. There's still some diagnostics to be done.

just for shits and giggles, pull the RADIO, GAUGES and COURTESY fuses (Should be 8, 9, and 17 on your drivers-door-jam fuse panel) and make sure that they are not blown, and that they are not corroded. I had a fuse that got corroded so much that it didn't conduct electricity anymore, and got my dome lights working just by scraping off the blades of the fuse with a pocket knife.

Quote:
If you are hearing a click, then they are working......
Not necessarily... the click just means that a solenoid or relay is working at least partly.
Quote:
But, reason for not actually unlocking could be an actuator problem. or the rod is bent, not allowing the locks to unlock.
The electronic lock actuators are directly on the latchplate assembly. The rods that go to the key cylinder and the slider on the interior trim wouldn't stop the door from locking electronically without making it impossible to also manually cycle. An internal solenoid failure could cause the symptoms that he's describing, and since it's been that way the whole time he's owned the car, he wouldn't have heard the failure lead-up.

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

Thanks man I appreciate the info. I might be able to get a hold of a actuator for dirt cheap thanks to picapart. I will be removing the panel today to take a look at it. Do you know if the actuator is held by any special bolts?

Its actually both door switches. Neither work. Like I said manually the both work but neither the passenger or driver work when I try to lock or unlock. and yes I believe the sound is coming from where the bcm is located.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Guess I misunderstood. I was thinking the clicking was coming from the doors

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercsaudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate the info. I might be able to get a hold of a actuator for dirt cheap thanks to picapart. I will be removing the panel today to take a look at it. Do you know if the actuator is held by any special bolts?

Its actually both door switches. Neither work. Like I said manually the both work but neither the passenger or driver work when I try to lock or unlock. and yes I believe the sound is coming from where the bcm is located.

Thanks
That sounds most likely like your BCM has failed internally... most likely just a bad solder joint. They are kinda low-key known for that.

I think the door latch assembly is held with torx screws. When you open the door, it's the three screw heads you can see right there at the latch area.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's a loose wire somewhere.

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement