Camaro Zone Forums banner

Finally actually bought a 98 z28

6K views 77 replies 13 participants last post by  BK047 
#1 ·
I want to thank all of you again for all help. I finally bought a 98 Camaro z28 with 4l60e last week. I got it for 4100$ out the door with tax tag and title. It has just shy of 122000 miles.

Test drive was great with no issues.
I went to drive it home and the 3rd-4th clutch pack start to give out.

I had bought it as is no warranty and the dealer said I could take it back and they will pay for the rebuild.

I called the transmission shop and am having them drop in a performance rebuild with a shift kit.

Hopefully will get it back later today or tomorrow. Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle
Vehicle Car Car seat cover Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Those floor mats are coming out first haha

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

See less See more
#12 ·
Like they said, avoid the shift kit. A tune is much easier on the trans and rear since it wouldn't be hitting hard all the time.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#15 ·
I've done oil
Fuel filter
Tranny fluid is new from rebuild
View attachment 31833
Took some sand paper to the tb and maf. Looks way better

Slowly getting started
Next day off I need to do plugs
It has msd wires on it so if their in good shape I'll leave them

Be careful with the Maf. Porting it isn't really necessary. It can flow fine up to 500hp iirc.

#17 ·
Ok just wanted to give you a heads up. A guy I went to school with "ported" his and had to buy a new one.

#19 ·
Because they think it helps. They think it removes wind resistance and gets rid of unwanted turbulence.

#20 ·
If that sucker comes off....

Wouldn't risk it

Now I need to find out what type of coolant is in my car

Seems they went to some type of green

But coolant is either hoat oat and iat

And been reading about the flush

Idk if I should go back to dexcool or another type

Seems there's so many mixed reviews on both

#21 ·
I have used prestone on all of my cars and never had any problems. Just get the straight antifreeze because if not you're just paying for less coolant and some water.

#22 ·
Dexcool is perfectly fine to use, and was meant to work better with the aluminum componets. But make sure it never touches another type of coolant. Dexcool will clump up if mixed with other coolants. If there is green stuff in it in most cases it will be fine to continue with it. But if you want to go back to Dexcool make sure to flush out the system well before.

#24 ·
As long as you dont mix the orange dexcool with the green regular coolant everything should work as it should. Maybe the green is safer (I only use green), but regardless, the worse thing you could do is mix them. That absolutely won't work, because the combination of coolants will just turn to sludge and be a huge mess to try to sort out and flush the engine and entire cooling system of.

#26 ·
Don't ever use stop leak, in the leak in the radiator or in the end caps? It's common for the plastic tanks to fail and leak. A good radiator shop can replace the tanks in a hour or less. $60 seems pretty cheap for a radiator, probably isn't very good quality.

#28 ·
I just did a radiator in my 98 z28. I believe its 4 bolts on the upper radiator support, the 2 13mm nuts for the in radiator trans cooler, then just some hose clamps. You could change radiator hoses if they look rough. The thermostat is easy to get to also so you could change that too.

#30 ·
I would just change the radiator hoses and the radiator. The fans are kind of a pain, I didn't unplug mine I just pulled them up and off of the radiator and laid them on the ground. You understand what I mean when you see it.

#31 ·
I pulled with all my might and couldn't get the fans to budge
They have to be connected to something

Maybe someone zip tied them?

I can't really get under and see without getting covered in coolant

Also idk what coolant is in it
Is it ok to run just distilled water in it for a little or no?

#32 ·
You have to pull up on the fans to get them out of the clips. What color is your antifreeze?

#33 ·
Do you live somewhere it's really cold? If so distilled water wouldn't be a good idea as it poses a freeze risk. If you're somewhere warm enough it won't freeze, water would be fine for a temporary use, although coolant is better due to it having a higher boiling temp, and lower freezing temp. But water does work, to answer your question. The range is supposed to be somewhere between a 50/50 ratio and 70/30 ratio. 70% coolant to 30% water. Or even a litte more water, but no more than 50% water. They have testers you can see where your coolant is currently at, and if you have 70% coolant, it would be perfectly fine to add water and you could leave it like that.

#36 ·
Do you live somewhere it's really cold? If so distilled water wouldn't be a good idea as it poses a freeze risk. If you're somewhere warm enough it won't freeze, water would be fine for a temporary use, although coolant is better due to it having a higher boiling temp, and lower freezing temp. But water does work, to answer your question. The range is supposed to be somewhere between a 50/50 ratio and 70/30 ratio. 70% coolant to 30% water. Or even a litte more water, but no more than 50% water. They have testers you can see where your coolant is currently at, and if you have 70% coolant, it would be perfectly fine to add water and you could leave it like that.

I'm in Florida

I just don't want to mix the wrong coolant with something else

And I can't get off the lower hose. Some idiot tightened it up where you can't get to the clamp unless I put it on a lift.

I'm 6'1 and 210lbs. I tried and almost got stuck trying to get under there haha

#37 ·
Running straight water isn't really a good idea you these motors run hot enough to boil straight water the chemical properties of coolant prevent it from boiling.... Actually running straight water is a really bad idea.

#40 ·
My 98 z28 runs right at 185 also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.