Camaro Zone Forums banner

Fuel Level Sensor...

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  cvashang38 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else have an issue with this sucker? When I bought the car I quickly found out there was an issue with the FLS. Easy to figure out after running out of gas on the side of the highway when your fuel gauge reads full, or just filling up and and after a mile of driving it drops to E. Anyway... I was quoted an epic amount for parts/labor/replacement at the stealership (go figure), and decided it wasn't too big an issue. I just keep track of my mileage at every fill up, yadda yadda yadda. Well, I really would like to clear that SES light that's always up, and the Check Gauges light that comes up and makes the fuel needle drop to E. The fuel gauge used to be accurate around 3/4 and then at 1/4 tank. Now it's usually always at E, no matter what. It's a small thing to worry about, but it kinda bugs me, and I'd like for the car to work properly. I was checking out RockAuto Parts Catalog (because of cnype's sweet discount code, thanks bud!) and found the part:
ACDELCO Part # SK1077 {#25316321}
SENSOR KIT,FUEL Level

With the discount it's like a buck cheaper than other places I've searched for it at.

Question is, would this be the fix to my issues? How hard is it to replace?

#5 ·
I sure hope so!
every car I've ever owned has done something like this...maybe not to always on E but they always stay at about an 1/8 until you're dead on a road...
I just don't let mine drop below half a tank, better safe than sorry.
True story, but... money is tight, so if I have the extra cash to fill it up, I'm going to drive it till I use up every last drop!...which I do. haha.
My camaro is doing something similar. It stays at full no matter what. I'm not sure what the problem is..
The needle might be stuck, or you might have a similar issue as me. Try using an additive or fuel cleaner or something in your next fill up. The sensor might just be dirty. It worked for mine for awhile. I think it's dead now. lol.

So... where are all the techs/mechanics on here?

#7 ·
.....I'm right here, lol. Yes, it should fix your problem, but it's not really too easy to replace. If it were me, I'd replace/upgrade the fuel pump and filter, while I was at it. You're gonna have to get the car as high off the ground as you can, remove your exhaust, unbolt your shocks and let the rear drop as far as possible(remove you rear wheels too)....then, finally, drop the fuel tank. Make sure to watch your fuel lines, and wire harness. The fuel sender/fuel pump assembly just unbolts from the top of the tank. Make sure it's clean, before you unbolt it, so no crap falls in the tank. Assembly is just reversed. It'll probably take you all day, so set aside some time. :icon_neutral:

#8 ·
I just noticed today what happens with mine. When I turn the car on it starts at full and slowly goes down to maybe like half or a quarter tank and stays there, but as soon as I start driving it goes back up to full and never moves no matter what. Do you think I have the same problem?

#9 ·
Sounds like it. You buy any kind of fuel additive? Try it out, yours isn't as serious as mine, it might just be dirty. Does your check gauges light come on?
.....I'm right here, lol. Yes, it should fix your problem, but it's not really too easy to replace. If it were me, I'd replace/upgrade the fuel pump and filter, while I was at it. You're gonna have to get the car as high off the ground as you can, remove your exhaust, unbolt your shocks and let the rear drop as far as possible(remove you rear wheels too)....then, finally, drop the fuel tank. Make sure to watch your fuel lines, and wire harness. The fuel sender/fuel pump assembly just unbolts from the top of the tank. Make sure it's clean, before you unbolt it, so no crap falls in the tank. Assembly is just reversed. It'll probably take you all day, so set aside some time. :icon_neutral:
Could you go into more detail about upgrading fuel pump/filter? Benefits, etc. I'm probably not going to be able to do this on my own. Fail... Now to find a credible place that wont charge me an arm and a leg to install the part. I'm considering saving up for the part...

#10 ·
.....there's really not much more detail. When the sending unit comes out, the pump is attached. While you are in there, I'd change it to a better pump, or at least, a new one. Chances are, if it hasn't been changed yet, it's gonna need it soon. Probably, just after you fill up.....that's usually how that goes, lol. :icon_sad:

#11 ·
Well, I know there's a new filter in there. Just had my whole fuel system flushed in the beginning of January. Idk about the pump though. Check that price from the link I posted in the OP. Is that a decent price for a new sensor? Seems like alot...

#15 ·
fuel level sensor

Superman
I just joined this site because i was looking for info because i went to get my smog test and the ses light was staying on. To make it short i had diagnostic done/Fault codes P1404= egr valve or Fuel Level Sensor. I am giving you website to check out-tristarrradiator.com. I believe this will solve our problem.
sincerely
Cvashang38

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.