Camaro Zone Forums banner

My new 2000 camaro z28

53K views 727 replies 45 participants last post by  transambrandon 
#1 ·
Figured now that I bought it, I'd make a thread for it instead of my test drive thread.

It's a 2000 chevy camaro z28 auto. It has ttops,leather interior, monsoon sound system, and pretty much anything else u could think of. It's fully loaded for a z28.

Current mods: longtube headers, ORY to stock system.AIR, egr and cat is all deleted. Horsepower sales down here tuned it. He told me the tune is pretty mild and that I could get more out of it. Also 17x9.5 vette wheels on all fours !

PO used as a daily driver, he did all the mods to it and has kept the car pretty clean.

Here's a few pics I snapped . I just started cleaning the engine bay in the second engine pic

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Another reason I bought the car... All these came with it!! All in great condition!

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I've been driving it around today. It's soo fastttt. It chirps through the gears!! I just had a little tango with a ls1 ws6 . It seemed stock and some lady was driving it. She ended up following me for blocks. So at the light we had some fun .

The first thing I'm doing is changing the oil and making sure all fluids are good. Then a slp lid will be going on. And I'm installing the ram air system from my bird onto this.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I've been driving it around today. It's soo fastttt. It chirps through the gears!! I just had a little tango with a ls1 ws6 . It seemed stock and some lady was driving it. She ended up following me for blocks. So at the light we had some fun .

The first thing I'm doing is changing the oil and making sure all fluids are good. Then a slp lid will be going on. And I'm installing the ram air system from my bird onto this.
Don't wreck it before you get to enjoy it bro. Not advised.

Nothing like an auto that can chirp the tires! :)

Still prefer my 6-speed :icon_twisted: lol

#11 ·
They are nexen tires with some aggressive looking tread.(I'd have to go look and see wat they are exactly) They still have plenty of tread left . But the car has little traction wen I get on it and The wheels spun through the gears . I'm thinking wen I do need tires I will get something grippy, cuz these don't cut

#12 · (Edited)
Just switched my Ssra ram air system to the camaro and did the free ram air mod. It should help out a lot compared to the stock intake setup.

The bird has the free ram air mod with a slp lid . Plus the bird has a tranny cooler that will now see more air since this ram air intake won't be in front of it.

#13 ·
Nice buy, man. She looks pretty clean, especially for a modded car. I've enjoyed reading about your V6 build, I look forward to seeing what you do to this car!

#14 ·
Thanks!! Yea she's clean. This car won't be modded any further for a while. Just a slp lid and maybe some exhaust. Down the rd it might get some major mods like heads and cam. But it's just a sweet DD for now.

The v6 Is balls to the wall modded. I still got more mods planned for it if I keep it. But now I'm in love with my LS1 and would rather sell the v6 and mod the z28.

#17 · (Edited)
Qtp headers to 4in ORY . Not any time soon. It actually sounds great through the stock 2.75 catback

#19 ·
Yea I'm on it!! I did the free ran air mod and put my Ssra on it. But the silencer and all that bs need to go!!

#20 ·
Ok guys my oil change light has been coming on when I start it up. So I'm looking to change the oil . I've never done an oil change on a ls1 so If anyone has any pointers let me know! I'm going with mobile 1 oil 10w30 and a mobile 1 filter. Also how many miles is a synthetic oil change good for?

#23 ·
I didn't catch that. 10w30 is only ok if running Pennzoil Platinum.
More than likely, it won't make a difference, unless it will be getting a lot of very cold starts.

#25 ·
Had pep boys change my oil.... It was the first time I paid for a oil change in my life. But $16 for them to change my oil is better than buying a drain pan and jacking it up. Plus it was nice to get it on a lift and take a look underneath. Also the mechanic sold me a clear intake lid for $30. So it all worked out. Next I plan to change my rear diff fluid.

#26 ·
Well I got some general maintenance to do.... The brakes are pretty low and rotors will need to be turned. Also gotta still change rear diff fluid. Next might be to get the tranny fluid changed..... It's kinda my motto to change all the fluids on a newly bought car.

As it stands now the mods are:
Air lid
Free ram air mod
Ssra ram air
Qtp longtubes
4" ORY
PCM tuned

My plan is to stick with the stock cat back. It sounds plenty good to me, but I want to add a cut out ! It's cheaper than a catback and gives me that loud sound wen I want it.

Any thoughts on cut outs, been thinking a DMH cut out?? Looking for one with a good wArranty and these have 4yr!

#28 ·
Any thoughts on cut outs, been thinking a DMH cut out?? Looking for one with a good wArranty and these have 4yr!
Those are what I used. One locked up, they covered it without question.

Also, a $16 oil change isn't a good thing. Shit oil, shit filter, etc...

#27 ·
Engine pic after lid install:

Attachments

#30 ·
Ah....ok.
Yeah, I called them up and they took care of it. I may have paid shipping to get the busted one back to them, but not for the one to come back.

#31 ·
Ah....ok. Yeah, I called them up and they took care of it. I may have paid shipping to get the busted one back to them, but not for the one to come back.
Did u ever have problems with them rattling or leaking?? From what I've read those are common problems... But it could be those people abused them and opened the cut out up at WOT or something.

#33 ·
Thanks for the info

My next quest is to change the pinion seal.... It looks like it's leaking :( . I checked fluid and added some just to make sure it's full. Any1 change it before? Is there a write up somewhere? I realy need to know what size the pinion bolt is.

#34 ·
Restored my headlights with a $5 kit from pep boys I got!! They look 100x better. Before they looked hazy and realy bad

Attachments

#35 ·
Just washed the f body's.

#36 ·
Back to the cut out. Now I got a weird set up with my exhaust. My y pipe is a massive 4"....,. Why? Idk, it's what the PO put on it. But it goes from 4" to a reducer to the stock exhaust which is 2.75 IIRC. It looks like it would be choking up the flow. Now I was thinking , maybe I should get a 3" cut out and place it right after the y pipe, so it reduces from 4 to 3 and then 3 to 2.75. That way it's not such a drastic change in pipe size. What do you guys think? I've never had a cut out, but I've read place them in the I-pipe on our cars.

Still up in the air on what brand , DMH seems great but I also see Badlandz with a 5yr warranty and $20 cheaper. Choices

#38 ·
Current issue , a bit of a rough idle, on and off. Here's the codes I got and here's a pic of the LT fuel trim leannnnn at idle. Also notice b1 o2 is reading much different than the b2 o2. Not sure if that had to do with anything. I have a brand new O2 that I can install. Jw if that would help??

Attachments

#39 ·
I guess the saying goes when you have lemons, make lemonade..... I live in apartment now with no garage.....or so I thought. 4 stories high in the parking garage right outside my apartment worked just fine!! It's a public parking garage, residents can use the 3rd floor and up for over night parking if they please.... I had other uses for it. I changed out the O2 sensor, it was a very easy task. Hardest part was jacking up the car lol. Here's some pics I took while I was up there

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.