neutral safety switch - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

neutral safety switch

1998 Firebird 3.8L auto trans. Car starts and runs if I leave the ignition key on and jump from the positive to the S wire on the solenoid. Will not engage starter from the key switch. Tried a new neutral safety switch. Still does not work. I jumped some wires on the neutral safety switch plug, with the neutral safety switch disconnected. I got the car to engage the starter and run. The neutral safety switch plug has 6 connectors. Starting from the bottom with the black wire, I'll call it number one. Number one is ground. With key on number 2 and three become hot (12V). Number 5 and six (two wider connectors at top) stay dead. With key on I can jump from number 6 to 2 or 3 and the starter engages and cranks car. So I know number one (black) is ground. 2 and three are hot with ignition on. 4 and 5 I don't know what they are for and 6 goes to the solenoid. Can anyone tell me where each wire goes? Any suggestions as to what may be wrong with my Firebird?

Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Send a message via AIM to Superman
Do you have a SECURITY light displayed on the cluster/dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #3

No security light. Besides the car wouldn't run moire than a few seconds if it were vats because it would shut down the fuel pump, I think. I let it run for about 20 minutes no problems. I forgot to mention it has a remote starter installed. The starter won't engage via the remote start as well.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
on the auto shift position array, the 2 that are really big are the neutral safety switch starter wires. they are brown and yellow if I remember correctly. (the car is about 5000 miles away with now, lol) they would be 2 and 4 I think. 2 wires are the reverse light switch, and the other 2 go to the neutral safety switch for the hatch.

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookel View Post
1998 Firebird 3.8L auto trans. Car starts and runs if I leave the ignition key on and jump from the positive to the S wire on the solenoid. Will not engage starter from the key switch. Tried a new neutral safety switch. Still does not work. I jumped some wires on the neutral safety switch plug, with the neutral safety switch disconnected. I got the car to engage the starter and run. The neutral safety switch plug has 6 connectors. Starting from the bottom with the black wire, I'll call it number one. Number one is ground. With key on number 2 and three become hot (12V). Number 5 and six (two wider connectors at top) stay dead. With key on I can jump from number 6 to 2 or 3 and the starter engages and cranks car. So I know number one (black) is ground. 2 and three are hot with ignition on. 4 and 5 I don't know what they are for and 6 goes to the solenoid. Can anyone tell me where each wire goes? Any suggestions as to what may be wrong with my Firebird?
You can bypass the switch if you can identify the two wires. There are 5 wires in total, two for the reverse switch, two for the neutral safety switch and one for the internal light. If you bypass, then the car can be started in any transmission position so a real potential safety hazard. These are military style connectors so rig a 6 inch wire with two military ends, I believe one male and one female ... could be wrong. You can "jumper" the neutral safety switch. Install a piece of 8" long wire as a JUMPER around the neutral safety switch by connecting the jumper wire to each side of the switch. Be careful after you install the jumper because now your truck will start in any gear. I hope this help you and other future readers of this thread! Cheers!

Last edited by hallpearl; 11-25-2010 at 04:06 PM.
hallpearl is offline   Reply With Quote