Camaro Zone Forums banner

Steering wheel column question

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ercmann 
#1 ·
So some jackasses apparently tried to steal my 01 ss Camaro. According to my key guy the column is broken and missing a couple of things. My steering wheel has working stereo buttons which I love. But he is telling me to get a new steering wheel column, but it has to be off a ss. Cant I just use any other Camaro column and not have to be ss? and did the buttons on the steering wheel only come on the ss?
Thanks.

#2 ·
The 2001 and 2002 steering wheel is the same one as the one in the 1995-2001 Chevy Lumina and 1995-1999 Chevy Monte Carlo. You have to find an LTZ Lumina or Z34 Monte Carlo. I think the LS had em too but that's where you can source the steering wheel. The V6 Camaro had the SWC as well but the yard will usually have the base V6 Camaros. Not many had the upgraded sound system. Most of them just have the power window and lock option and the T tops. It might be easier to find a W body over a well optioned V6 F body.

The steering column is the same as the V6 one. It's GM... They used the same Saginaw steering column for 40 years with modifications specific to each car. The steering rack is the same regardless of engine option as is the column.

#5 ·
No it does not

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I know you guys said most gm columns are the same but here is my question. Will a 97 camaro steering column be a direct fit to 01 camaro? Wiring and all? I found a 97 5spd camaro but i just want to be 100℅. Sure if t fits before i pull it.
Thanks

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I know you guys said most gm columns are the same but here is my question. Will a 97 camaro steering column be a direct fit to 01 camaro? Wiring and all? I found a 97 5spd camaro but i just want to be 100℅. Sure if t fits before i pull it.

Thanks
It should. Really, the only difference between those is the front ends. 97 was the year of the interior change. 97-02 is the same except for the front end in the 97.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Camaro Zone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.