Camaro Zone Forums banner

Switching to Synthetic Oil

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  dokevnz 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I wanted to get your opinion on something.

I have a 99 Z28 with 188,9XX miles that supposedly has a crate LS1 swapped into it that had about 30,000 miles when I bought the car with 174,XXX miles in November of 2014, I have since put about 14,000 miles on it. I don't ask if he had a receipt for the engine or anything, I think I was just too excited, but I know it does have 241 heads on it instead of the the 853 I believe the 99s were supposed to have.

So here's my question, would any of you switch to synthetic oil knowing that information? I know I've read on here that switching to synthetic can clean out sludge and stuff that have been blocking potential oil leaks and could cause on oil leak.

I was thinking of PMing Superman to see if he still got Amsoil at supplier pricing. I know he offered to sell is some if we asked when he was still around.

So, what do you think, should I take the "risk" of switching?

#2 ·
If your engine has leaks, you should get them fixed. Switching to synthetic won't cause leaks, it'll just make them more noticeable. The thinner viscosity is the reason why it can slip through and leak more than conventional can.

You could also try using a synthetic high-mileage formula that helps old seals and gaskets stay supple. Won't solve the problem of them probably needing replaced, but it'll make them swell back into their places and reduce the chance of leaking.

I switched my 1999 Accord to full Mobil 1 high-mileage full synthetic and I did find some leaks. But I'd rather get them repaired and overall improving my engine's health instead of plugging it up with thicker oil and hoping for the best. That's my opinion on it :)

#3 ·
Thank you very much for your answer. I haven't noticed any leaks since I've had it, but I never got a good look at the underside of the car. I want to try and get my car on a lift at school to check it out, honestly I'm kind of nervous about that haha, there's bound to be some rust on the underside of a Indiana/Illinois daily driver with 188,000 miles, haha.

I plan on getting a new daily in the next couple months and store the car in my parents garage to work on it some. So, since I'm in school to be an auto tech I'll try to fix any leaks myself to get myself some experience.

I meant to mention, the computer reads about the same mileage as my odometer (there's a three mile difference). So, if the engine was swapped they kept the wiring harness. I don't know if that really means anything though, I guess I'm just a little mistrusting of others, haha

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Your car originally came with an LS1, there would be no reason to swap computers for another (crate) LS1.

As far as synthetic oil. Harlock was spot on with her answer. Like Harlock said, synthetic is a thinner oil than conventional oil, being thinner is the reason synthetic "can" leak. synthetics "don't cause" leaks.

If you want to switch to synthetic oil, by all means switch. It doesn't hurt anything to switch back and forth from conventional to synthetic oil. If you use conventional oil, just make sure you change the oil every 3,000 miles. Synthetic oil costs more, but can go longer between changes.

#5 ·
This is from the 1998 owner's manual, just for reference:

It also heats up and gets moving through the engine faster than thicker viscosity oils, so it's better on your engine in the winter on cold starts. Less time spent with "dry" components upon startup = happier engine [emoji4]

#6 ·
Thank you for your responses. I didn't mean to word my post as synthetic causes leaks, I just meant some leaks could show up. I should be worded it better, haha. I think I'm going to go ahead and make the change. Thanks for the help!

#7 ·
No worries; I can tell you know what you're talking about. I just like to remind people that synthetic does not, in fact, cause leaks. I've heard so many people claiming this that I try to spread the word that it doesn't, haha.

#8 ·
I changed my oil to Amsoil full synthetic with an Amsoil filter. Both the filter and the oil say they guarantee to last 25,000, but that seems WAY to long, even for synthetic. When do you guys think my next oil change should be. Somewhere between 3-5,000 miles?

#11 ·
If you just changed over from conventional, you may shorten the interval from the recommended the first time around because you're likely going to be clearing up some sludge and deposits. I wouldn't go over 7500 on the first change (about 2000 if you bought their OE line). Your subsequent changes can use the extended intervals though.

In fact, I believe AMSOIL recommends that your first interval be shorter than their "guaranteed" interval right on their bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#12 ·
Very useful info guys, I want my Daily driver 3800v6 with 170,000 to be up to full potential for the Cali summer. What viscosity should I get for a synthetic swap? Thanks.

I know old thread is Old

#14 ·
7500-10000 miles or how many months on a weekend driven only in the summer car that doesn't see 5k a year?

#15 ·
I believe Amsoil recommends at least a yearly change for weekend drivers. Even synthetics break down over time.

For motorcycles, they even recommend a seasonal change--store it with fresh oil during winter and then change it at the start of riding season.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.