Camaro Zone Forums banner

Tracking down a leak in my A/C

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  94z28 
#1 ·
Running down my fix list on my 98 Camaro,

.....and after clearing off my Top Items I'm now down to fixing the slow leak in my A/C. I've pumped in a recharge can of Pro A/C with Leak Sealant and had cold A/C for about 8 weeks, although a lot of that was sitting time. I threw another 'cheap' can of Freon in this past weekend and it charged back up to 40 and cooled off again.

So, I'm thinking a seal kit would be a good start. I'd like to run a can of Leak Detector thru to see if any one seal is the problem, but would think if one seal is bad the others are questionable. Any thoughts?

Also, is the compressor the most likely point of failure?

Thanks

#3 ·
Most people just say freon since thats what it used to be. I doubt the op is buying a lot of freon unless he has someone he can order it through.

I would run leak detector first, and see where its coming from. I would only replace the bad seal(s).

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#4 ·
Yeah,....freon is left-over from the old R12 days.......guess I've dated myself now ;)

So the can of Leak Detector is visible dye or does it require UV Light and Glasses? With the nature of my leak is a single seal the likely culprit and I can rule out my compressor? Obviously anxious to repair, as well as scope the repair.

#5 ·
The ones ive seen require the light and glasses. I would guess that its just a seal if i had to make a guess.

#6 ·
The dyes typically require UV light and glasses but if the leak is large enough you will be able to see without that. The light and glasses come in handy when dealing with a small leak. Typically if the compressor is working when recharging it then I would assume your compressor to be good, just have to find that place its leaking and replace that.

#7 ·
Are you recovering with a vacuum what is in left in the lines? Contaminates will also affect AC performance. Vacuum out the system, charge it to spec, and put dye in it. You can also look at all the connections and components for the AC system. Even without dye, sometimes you can see wet areas and that will end up being your leak.

#8 ·
Found a couple of these UV Glasses & Flashlight kits under $20, that don't instill a lot of confidence, but I really don't need one for daily use,.......just long enough to find my leak. Also found one with multiple Blue LEDs that is also suppose to detect UV dye.

One of these and a 134a recharge can with dye look like my next step

#11 ·
Just keep running it intil it gets where its not blowing cold, and see how long it took to lose it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.