Camaro Zone Forums banner

Turbo

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr. Luos 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about eventually turboing my ta anything u may need to know besides probly go with a smaller cam than I have? And any ideas and opinions?

#2 ·
94 T/A is our resident turbo expert. (or one of them, at least)
Just wait till he gets a moment to respond.

#3 ·
Do you know what cam it is? I thought you were not sure, maybe that was someone else.

First things first, expect to pay roughly $7K for the system.
Motor will need forged, compression ratio lowered, transmission worked, rearend replaced, etc....
Good $20K project really.

#4 ·
As mentioned already expect to spend around 20k by the time it's all said and done and that's for the motor and turbo setup. I'm not sure what you mean by smaller cam. You still want more lift than factory and LSA varies based on your setup. When it comes to the cam that's one of the very last parts you buy. With a cam on a turbo build your best off calling a cam company like comp and talking to a rep they will do a custom grind for your setup.

There's tons of small things you need in the process of the build; oil lines, oil pan (or have your current one modified) intercooler and all the piping for it, Gauges, blow off valve, wastegate, wide band O2 sensor, heat shields, exhaust wrap , radiator. The factory heads are a big restriction when it comes to FI.

#12 · (Edited)
Here are some of my friend's builds at sloppy mechanics on facebook. Usually they take 5.3L 'junkyard' engines and throw them in their cars with tons of boost/spray until they blow. They get these engines for under $500.

Here is a junkyard build.

Video of junkyard fbody
5.3 LSX TT 2 step - YouTube

Then here is a 404, with gt91mm turbo.

Video of 404LSX with turbo
Street launch - YouTube

Finally, this is the main guy/owner of sloppy mechanics, his newest build is the 5.3L inside a chevy2500, you can see all his ridiculous under the username DENMAH. Truck runs low 11s, all motor and a big turbo. Again these builds are done for under $5k. Get a junkyard motor and a turbo, they don't forge ANYTHING. Most of them run around 700rwhp and the engines make it a few dozen 1/4 mile passes plus constant hammering of the gas pedal. :rock::D
51-13 wheelspin, wheelspin, and wheelspin - YouTube

The point is, you don't need 20 grand

#17 ·
I see both sides. Random junkyard builds are badass, but can end up being costly.
If you are not doing the work yourself, two lost motors will end up at the same total had you built the first one correctly.

All in what ya want.

#18 ·
In theory, if you were to lower the boost a bit, and say make 500 and something to 600 horsepower,instead of the 700+ hp, wouldn't that relieve some of the reliability issues? ...... In theory....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.