Camaro Zone Forums banner

Won't start again

3K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  SergheiS 
#1 · (Edited)
'02 3.8 Camaro

So here I'm driving all as normal, and here at 3am I pull into 7/11. So first, when I turn the key the car will not crank. The electronics go on, but no crank. When I took the key out, the dash lights stay on and the dash arrows went insane. I tried to replug the battery and same happened. Plugged in my OBD reader and it seemed to reset itself, so now when I took the key out the car turned off as normal. So the fuses click and all else went on, but no crank. Fuel pump also primed.

We pushed it downhill, and on the way down I tried to start it. Suddenly my starter kicked in, but it still wouldn't fire. I parked, and it cranks. However, I no longer hear the fuel pump priming when the power is turned on.

So what can I be dealing with here?

Also, on occasion, immediately after startup up it threw the code p1220, but I could clear it and everything ran as normal.
Sent from my XT1060 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#2 ·
Sounds like the starter has a bad spot. Check your fuel pump relay and fuse for the other.

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app

Reactions: Harlock
#3 · (Edited)
OK so..... I switched some fuses and relays around, still just crank no start. Well, basically, when I plugged in my basic bulls**t OBDII reader my fuel arrow moved. it only starts with that reader plugged in.... no codes thrown.....

Update: runs as normal when my $10 OBD reader is in....soon as I unplug it, the car stalls....

I can leave the ACC on, and plug/remove the OBD reader, I can hear the fuel pump prime every time it is plugged in.

Computer....?

#4 ·
OK so..... I switched some fuses and relays around, still just crank no start. Well, basically, when I plugged in my basic bulls**t OBDII reader my fuel arrow moved. it only starts with that reader plugged in.... no codes thrown.....

Update: runs as normal when my $10 OBD reader is in....soon as I unplug it, the car stalls....

I can leave the ACC on, and plug/remove the OBD reader, I can hear the fuel pump prime every time it is plugged in.

Computer....?

Try replacing the fuel pump relay
Also P1220 is a throttle position sensor code.

#9 ·
Would anyone here by chance know the ground wire locations on the 2002 3.8? I remember one on the back of the driver side head, but I can't recall many others.

There should be one from the negative battery post to the block.
Usually near the starter.

#10 · (Edited)
So I was looking through my grounds, and found G110 (above the AC compressor?). Loose. Took it off, cleaned it, put it back. So now it'll prime the fuel pump when key is turned to ACC, but soon as I turn to start, starter lightly clicks once, and the system dies again. I take the key out, and the arrows on the dash are lightly jiggling even with the key out. After, the fuel pump will not prime and the SES light will not turn on until I redo the ground again, which yet again, clicks, no start, dies.

Now, I plug in the OBD reader, turn the key and the starter lightly clicks a few times, stops, and nothing. The starter will not make any noise without the OBD reader plugged in.

Battery also seems not to be charging according to the dashboard, and dies quickly....

EDIT/UPDATE: put it in neutral to push it in my driveway. Pushed it about 10 feet. It started, but weakly, like the battery was dying.....

#12 · (Edited)
There are two other grounds you need to look for too.

One is a strap that goes from the starter to the frame (drivers side of car). My car did the "click once then nothing" bit too until I repaired that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
I'll have to lift the car in the morning and look. What's the second one?

EDIT/UPDATE: Got near stranded again, after several battery replugs and some angry yanking at the g110 I got her to start to get home, the OBD reader did not save me this time.

The grounds to the starter all seem ok, and the wires at g110 do not seem frayed.... I'm getting way too confused right now, it ran after messing with that ground, but the battery gauge stays in the red....

Really getting stumped here, does this sound like anything particular to anyone?

#13 · (Edited)
So I'm still lost here.... I had someone tug the marked in red ground wire and a bit up from it, and with the key in ACC, the SES light came on weakly, turned off, weakly came on, etc etc..... (still G110(?))

Arrows still jiggle when I pull the key out, wire tugged a little and they settle. Trying to crank the car, get a click, dies until the wire is tugged at again....

When the car did run last night, the battery gauge showed weak charge.

Does this sound like a harness problem, or should I still look into the BCM, Ignition switch, and all the rest? And are there any tests I can conduct to isolate the issue?

EDIT/UPDATE: Removed the stater, and tried to turn the key to start with the starter wires hanging loose. The systems all stay on, nothing seems to short out, if this helps at all.

Attachments

#14 ·
So I'm still lost here.... I had someone tug the marked in red ground wire and a bit up from it, and with the key in ACC, the SES light came on weakly, turned off, weakly came on, etc etc..... (still G110(?))

Arrows still jiggle when I pull the key out, wire tugged a little and they settle. Trying to crank the car, get a click, dies until the wire is tugged at again....

When the car did run last night, the battery gauge showed weak charge.

Does this sound like a harness problem, or should I still look into the BCM, Ignition switch, and all the rest? And are there any tests I can conduct to isolate the issue?

EDIT/UPDATE: Removed the stater, and tried to turn the key to start with the starter wires hanging loose. The systems all stay on, nothing seems to short out, if this helps at all.

If you have dash indicator lights that stay on with the key off, I would suspect that the electrical ignition switch has failed internally.

#16 ·
Define arrows bouncing.
You mean the turn signal arrows?

#17 ·
The RPM, oil pressure & fuel pressure arrows on the dash moved up & down some millimeters when the key was taken out.

Right now the car seems to start every time, however, it always hesitates as if the battery is always weak. Also the oil pressure gauge seems off. Alternator is pushing out normal voltage, battery seems to always have 12.45 volts when off. Anywhere I should check next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.