Camaro Zone Forums banner

Is my exhaust too big?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Zspoiler 
#1 ·
I have a 67 Camaro with a crate 350 motor. It is the 290hp delux crate motor. When I had the car, it had a mish-mash of 2.5", 2.25", and 2.0" exhaust and the factory exhaust manifold. It had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and sounded pretty good. But I wanted to add headers.

I had the exhaust changed to full length headers and a Flowmaster 2.5" kit with the "H" pipe and super 44 mufflers. The exhaust looks great and sounds good at idle, but when you stomp on the gas the tone is trumpet-like and the motor sounds lazy.

I thought the timing was off, but it seems that the timing is good and the Holley 650 is properly adjusted. My buddy thinks the motor sounds lazy because it is flowing better now, and the next step is to add a top-end kit (cam and heads) to pick up the compression and HP.

I am torn if I should go that route or not. Should I restrict the exhaust back by adding a reducer from the 2.5" to 2.0 inch? Would that help with the tone? Or is my mechanic buddy right? I just hate to spend the $$$.

Maybe I should have kept the old exhaust.

Here is the video of the sound today...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would leave it, especially if you're going to do cam and heads. Personally I don't care for flownmaster. I don't like the sound or the quality I've gotten from them. Can you do a run with the throttle wide open? That might help us understand how it sounds. It sounded like it's not winding up quick, do you know what the rear gears are?

98 z28 bolt-ons with no tune drag radials 8.60@86mph

02 firebird v6 almost all stock except slp lid and k&n filter

#4 ·
Hard to tell without a WOT pull but advancing the timing a bit more on a 290 horse 350 isn't going to hurt anything and a 650 carb is a bit much. As mentioned a better muffler like a magnaflow may be all you need to get the sound you're after. You would be hard pressed to find many flow master fans on this forum.

#5 ·
I have magnaflow on my z28, and love the sound and quality. If you can get a wot run so we can hear it that will let us know how it sounds more.

#7 ·
That's the same setup I have on my z28.

#9 ·
2.5" Is perfect, that 290hp small block would only be held back by a smaller system, I've sold many 2.5 magnaflow systems and Flowmaster for Camaro's, Nova and mustangs you name it I've probably sold it, never had a problem, I personally put a full Magnaflow 2.5" kit on my 71 Camaro fit grate, but I hated the way it sounded so I swapped out the magnapoo's for a set of Flowmaster original 40s, and now I'm really happy with it. Nothing beats flowmaster if your doing a muscle car

71 Camaro. 355ci, comp xe274 with 1.6 rockers, performer RPM intake, aluminum heads 2.02 1.60 valves 64cc combustion chambers 180cc runners, 2400 stall converter, 3.73 posi rear end

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
2.5" Is perfect, that 290hp small block would only be held back by a smaller system, I've sold many 2.5 magnaflow systems and Flowmaster for Camaro's, Nova and mustangs you name it I've probably sold it, never had a problem, I personally put a full Magnaflow 2.5" kit on my 71 Camaro, fit great, but I hated the way it sounded so I swapped out the magnapoo's for a set of Flowmaster original 40s, and now I'm really happy with it. Nothing beats flowmaster if your doing a muscle car

71 Camaro. 355ci, comp xe274 with 1.6 rockers, performer RPM intake, aluminum heads 2.02 1.60 valves 64cc combustion chambers 180cc runners, 2400 stall converter, 3.73 posi rear end
The reason 99% of the members on here do not like Flowmaster, is because of the crap quality. Flowcrapper, at best, is made of "aluminized" material. Yes, Flowcrapper can sound good, but Aluminum will corrode over time, especially in high humidity and winter climates. The reason most members on here recommend MagnaFlow is because their systems are a great value. Great quality (stainless steel) and sounds for your dollar.

I guess it's really a matter of taste. Magnaflow sounds different than Flowmaster. I have heard great sounds from both manufacturers, But Magnaflow will last waaaaaaay longer than Flowmaster. Stainless steel will always outlast aluminum. if one is planning on keeping ones vehicle for any length of time, Stainless Steel will always be the better choice.

#11 ·
It's totally a personal preference thing, magnaflow will last longer no doubt, but it's not like a flowmaster muffler going to rot out in a year or two, I live in Canada and have had the same mufflers on my car for six years, and they are still in grate shape. My decision was made when someone asked me at a car show when I pulled in, if my car was a V6. Switched to the flowmaster latter that week, that never happened again I can guarantee that.

#12 ·
Only an idiot couldn't tell between a v8 and a v6. I wouldn't have let that make me change my muffler.

#14 ·
Haha your right, the guy was a idiot! But I was not happy with the tone of the car as it was, and had planed on swapping them, so no i did not do it because of some fool at a Friday night Cruze. I did it because I did not like the way it sounded at idle...

#15 ·
Ok, that's the best reason to change it in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.