Camaro Zone Forums banner

not getting gas from tank how to fix?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Charlesjplowden 
#1 ·
So I bought a 79 Camaro, took the motor 350 small block out of another car, it runs good. when I put it in the car, hooked everything up, nothing. The car has guaranteed 4 gallons in tank. No leaks anywhere so im not loosing fuel. But in order for me to get the gas from the tank up to the fuel pump on the front passenger side of motor, I have to seal the vent that runs up the driver side, and blow in the tank. Then when I gets fuel up there, it'll run for about 10 minutes, until im guessing the pressure is not there.

#2 ·
When I take the fuel line off the tank and put it in a gas can full of gas, it will run no problem. But when I hook it up from the line from the tank, it will not pull the gas from the tank unless I cover the vent, and blow in the tank, then it will push the gas up the line to the fuel pump and it will run until the pressure is gone.

#8 · (Edited)
sounds like there is a problem with the fuel line in the tank its self. when u cover your vent and blow in to your tank your creating pressure in the tank, which allows pressure to draw fuel from the line inside the tank, but if there is a break in the line and the tank isn't pressurized it wont draw fuel.
Exactly what I was about to suggest. My Jeep fuel pump died (didn't even make noise) and when I went to replace it, I found that the rubber tube inside of the tank had completely rotted AND slipped off the pump fitting (since it was an in-tank pump).

#9 ·
Check it out!!!! I replaced everything; gas tank, gas cap, metal and rubber hoses, and fuel pump. so, I was still having the same problem! I went to my local mechanic at an old shop, my father knows him. He said he'd check it out so I got it towed there. I showed him how I could put the pressure there and it would run for a minute, and then would die, he walked off and said he had to go find something. About 10 minutes later he came out with a GAS CAP. It looked identical to mine. He said that's what I need. He took mine off. Looked at it for a minute, threw it in the trash and put that one on. Said he'd replace it if he was wrong. He got in the car, it turned over about 30 times and blame. she was running. I asked him how, he pulled mine out the trash and took the one off he put on my car. His was vented!! I needed a vented gas cap the whole time. The fella even gave it to me, said he had it for 10 years and never had a use for it and probably never would. I looked them up, cheapest one I could find that looked good like the one he gave me, $120. Vented gas cap made it work. I even driver her home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.