Camaro Zone Forums banner

2012 Build/ 2014 Demod

55K views 822 replies 43 participants last post by  AmorPatriae 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I am starting my research on what I will be doing to the Camaro when I get home from Iraq.

So this is what I'm thinking so far:
-Strange 12 bolt with 3.91
-Spec Stage 3 + clutch
-BMR Adj panhard
-BMR LCA w/ relocation bracket
-UMI Torqure arm relocation cross-member
-Pacesetter LT coated
-Texas Speed Y pipe
-Catch can
-ZR1 replicas 17x11in rear, 17x9.5in front

Also still trying to figure out what cam to use. Looking for something with good mid to high range. Im looking for low 11s. Will be starting the search for a driveshaft too. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Curious as to why you were thinking of going with a Strange rear end.

Also why a 12 bolt and not a 9 inch? With high RPM launches on the street or drag strip, the torque arm is notorious for distorting the housing on 12 bolts, resulting in quite a bit of gear whine. IMO the 9" is also a bit stronger due to several design differences, but I guess that is a moot point if you never plan to exceed 550 hp or something like that.

12 bolts and 9" are all about the same price as well

#10 ·
Curious as to why you were thinking of going with a Strange rear end.

Also why a 12 bolt and not a 9 inch? With high RPM launches on the street or drag strip, the torque arm is notorious for distorting the housing on 12 bolts, resulting in quite a bit of gear whine. IMO the 9" is also a bit stronger due to several design differences, but I guess that is a moot point if you never plan to exceed 550 hp or something like that.

12 bolts and 9" are all about the same price as well
Not sure just how true this is, but it seems the cost of getting a 9" to work, will out weigh the 12 bolt. The 12 bolt is primarily favored with us Chevelle guys as being basically bulletproof behind high horse big block Chevelles, granted we don't use torque arms. I'd need to see enough proof to believe the torque arm issue.

9's take a lot more work to make them work remember.
They also eat a lot more hp/torque.

#5 ·
I'd still go with a 9", you never know, speed is like an addiction and once you have it you want more and more power. You also never know when you will want to perform a high RPM launch and then you'll be glad you don't have the 12 bolt. They're also like the exact same price :)

#12 ·
Well, thats surprising as hell because with Chevelle guys, a well set up 12 bolt is the bullet proof holy grail of rearends.

#13 ·
They make them like they used to :D

my GF has a ford 9 in here garage so she tells me...humm might have to go find it.

#15 ·
Im in search of the cat back now. Opinions? I was thinking Magna Flow.

edit: I just remembered. When is that 1 year up when Sniper was going to have the faster car on FBO? I just thought of that the other day.
He retraced his statement.

#16 ·
Id go with the Magnaflo. true dual 3in

who has the fastest car here? I know Slowass was probilly the fastest when Mr. Luos had it but since its gone who takes his place?

#19 ·
I'm sure my online time would be limited also, with you know fighting for your country in a war.

#22 · (Edited)
Alright so I pretty much have most of this build figured out. Im shooting for mid 10s maybe low 10s. What do you guys think?

-Thunder Racing T-Rex Cam w/ 7.350 push rods and patriot extreme valve springs
-LS7 lifters
-LS6 ported oil pump
-LS2 timing chain
-Strange 12 bolt w/ 4.11 gears
-Strange drive shaft
-Spec Stage 3+ clutch
-BMR LCA
-LCA relocation brackets
-BMR adj panhard
-Torque arm relocation trans x-member
-Poly motor and trans mounts
-Catch can
-Hooker 1 7/8 LTs
-Custom dual 3" exhaust
-C4 ZR1 replicas fronts 9.5x17 rears 11x17
-Tires: NT555 Extremes 275/40R17 & NT05R 315/35R17
-125 shot Harris Speed Works Plate Kit w 15lb bottle (many other parts added for this setup)
-New brakes all round from Rotorsonline.com
-Converting to LS1 rear disc brakes from 96 drum brakes

#33 · (Edited)
I'm gonna suggest some cheap high flowing cylinder heads, or having 241 cylinder heads gone through by Advanced Inductions if you want to keep the "stock" casting number.

It has its benefits and associated issues... lol.

#31 ·
why run a 555R up front? Just run a NT 450 or something, makes more sense.

Goodluck on the build, should be fun.

#32 ·
why run a 555R up front? Just run a NT 450 or something, makes more sense.

Goodluck on the build, should be fun.
It was supposed to be the NT555 Extremes. They dont have the NT450 in 275/40R17 Ill change it, thanks for catching that.

#34 ·
I'm a fan of AFR heads, you should look into a set! If you plan on juicing, check into the AFR 215cc or 230cc.

Air Flow Research

#36 · (Edited)
Update on the parts.
Bought:
Katech rod bolts
Valve spring compressor
Spark plug air fitting
LS6 ported oil pump
LS2 timing chain
LS1 and LS7(to reinstall) crank bolts
BMR adj lca
BMR adj panhard
Torque arm relocation xmember
poly engine/trans mounts
catch can
Hooker 1 7/8 LTs
Hooker Y-pipe
Magnaflow catback
QTP Electronic Cutout
LS1 rear brake parts(to convert from drums)
A/C hoses
150mph gauge cluster

Still to buy:
TRex cam package
Strange 12bolt w/ 4.11s
Strange driveshaft
Spec Stage 3+ clutch(still unsure, might get something else)
21mm rear swaybar w/ poly links
C4 ZR1 replicas
NT555 and NT05R tires
Pads and rotors all round from RotorsOnline
Wideband
HSW Nitrous kit w/ 15lbs bottle + other nitrous parts

Now I just need to fast forward to 2012 so i can build this monster!

#37 ·
So how are you going to put the rods and pistons back in once you have installed the Katech rod bolts? When replacing the rod bolts with ARP or Katech, you must pull the rod and have it resized to be perfectly round so that you do not put excess pressure on the bearings. Have people put them in without resizing? YES. Have they spun rod bearings shortly after? YES. Have they worked fine without resizing? YES. It's your choice - just pointing out that it is definitely a risk.

#38 ·
Ive read with the Katech bolts you dont have to. With the ARP bolts it was def recommended. I also know a few people that replaced them without resizing. The way I am doing it is pulling 1 bolt then installing the Katech bolt. Then pulling the other bolt then installing the Katech bolt. Then off to the next rod. So well see how things play out afterwards:lol::icon15:

#41 ·
Update:
As my deployment nears the end I have started buying some more of the parts.

Just bought this week:
-TRex cam w/ 7.400 pushrods and Comp 26925 springs
-Catch can
-Poly engine and trans mount
-AFX Wideband
-Valentine One(I know its not really part of the car)

Im waiting until FEB to order
-Strange 12bolt w/ 4.11 and lca relocation brackets pre welded
-Monster Stage 3 clutch
-Strange driveshaft
-Black ZR1 replicas
-NT555 and NT05R tires
-Brakes all around
-HSW nitrous kit and goodies

I cant wait to start tearing into my baby.

#43 · (Edited)
Haha hell yeah it has. :rock:

-JUN09 bought as 3.8 auto
-AUG09 T5 swap and LSD swap
-MAR10 bodywork/ paint
-MAY10 LS/T56 swap
-MAR12 full bolt ons, cammed, nitrous and tons of other parts

When I bought the car I told the salesman it was going to be my project car. I had no idea that I would do so much with it:lol:

#44 ·
Well heres my update.

-Still waiting on the cam from Thunder Racing. I guess there was a massive recall on Patriot valve springs so the Comp springs I ordered have been on back order. Thank God I don't need the cam till MAR.
-ZR1 wheels are ordered and should be on the way soon.
-Monster Stage 3 clutch is ordered and on the way.
-NT555 275/40R17 and NT05R 315/35R17 are on the way.
-Just got my Lingenfelter oil pump
-Next thing to order is my 9in from Midwest and then time to wait till MAR :)

#45 ·
so now you're going 9inch?

what size shot? plate kit? wet?

WTF did u change your username?

#46 ·
lol yeah. New user name.

Im going to be going with a HSW plate kit. Im looking to do a 100-125 wet shot. It depends on how much power it makes N/A. The rep at Midwest talked me into getting one of their 9in rears. In the end it pretty much costs the same and will be more durable.:icon15:

#47 ·
good stuff, i wanna spray this year. wet plate kit 125shot.....just waiting on taxes.

4.11s and a 125 shot is gonna be a blast, especially on the street. Its gonna rip

#50 ·
:lol: Nope! :D The only thing I would have a possibility of not having on the car would be the nitrous. That I'm not sure when I am doing. But the N/A build and suspension work is all being done in MAR. Right now its looking like my road trip will take me as fast as TX. Sorry all you west coasters:( Thank Obama for ending the Iraq war early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.