Caliper Mounting Bolts - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > General Camaro & Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Caliper Mounting Bolts

So on my way to work, I lost the bolt that goes through the bracket and into the bottom of the caliper. So at that point any time that I touched the brakes, the pressure would push the caliper off of the rotor and grind into the inside of the wheel. This has happened to me before so I knew exactly what it was. I babied it to work, touching the brakes only when absolutely necessary (the brakes would still work if I needed them to). After work, I became an embarrassment to the entire F-Body community by having to pull the wheel in the parking lot of Autozone and finding a temporary replacement bolt.
Now the first time this happened, I chalked it up to an improperly torqued bolt that just came loose, even though I hadn't touched the brakes in months. But now that it happened a second time, there must be a reason this is happening. I am told by a friend that I should just put some loctite on it and call it a day, but I am unsure if this is the proper solution. So what do you guys think the proper fix would be?

Also I am having a bit out trouble finding a proper replacement bolt. I can't get them through GM without ordering a metric ****ton @ way too much money a piece. The hardware store I went to didn't have what I needed either. There are bolts on ebay, but there appears to be confusion as to what the proper name of this bolt it, so I can't be sure if I will get the right part. So if anyone has a couple of these laying around, I would gladly buy them from you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3136376162.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	22414

The red circle is the remaining original bolt that a need another one of. The blue circle is the my replacement bolt, obviously different than the original, but it works for the temporary.

Edit: I meant to post this in General tech, so if a mod could move it for me, that would be great.

Last edited by redbird98; 08-28-2013 at 11:58 PM.
redbird98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird98 View Post
So on my way to work, I lost the bolt that goes through the bracket and into the bottom of the caliper. So at that point any time that I touched the brakes, the pressure would push the caliper off of the rotor and grind into the inside of the wheel. This has happened to me before so I knew exactly what it was. I babied it to work, touching the brakes only when absolutely necessary (the brakes would still work if I needed them to). After work, I became an embarrassment to the entire F-Body community by having to pull the wheel in the parking lot of Autozone and finding a temporary replacement bolt.
Now the first time this happened, I chalked it up to an improperly torqued bolt that just came loose, even though I hadn't touched the brakes in months. But now that it happened a second time, there must be a reason this is happening. I am told by a friend that I should just put some loctite on it and call it a day, but I am unsure if this is the proper solution. So what do you guys think the proper fix would be?

Also I am having a bit out trouble finding a proper replacement bolt. I can't get them through GM without ordering a metric ****ton @ way too much money a piece. The hardware store I went to didn't have what I needed either. There are bolts on ebay, but there appears to be confusion as to what the proper name of this bolt it, so I can't be sure if I will get the right part. So if anyone has a couple of these laying around, I would gladly buy them from you.

The red circle is the remaining original bolt that a need another one of. The blue circle is the my replacement bolt, obviously different than the original, but it works for the temporary.

Edit: I meant to post this in General tech, so if a mod could move it for me, that would be great.
Same thing happened to me twice I just put a locking washer and some loctite on it and it hasn't done that since

Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Garage
Well I realize that I could just do that, I just feel like that would be just keeping the bolt in instead of fixing the reason why they are falling out. The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the caliper threads.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
CZ's Audio Yoda
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Well I realize that I could just do that, I just feel like that would be just keeping the bolt in instead of fixing the reason why they are falling out. The only thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the caliper threads.
If the caliper is the issue, maybe a replacement (new one) would cure the issue. I really can't see "threads" being an issue tho. As long as the bolt screws in, and not being cross threaded.

2001 Camaro SS LS1
6 Speed Manual
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/...thread-178452/

Last edited by Ercmann; 08-29-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Ercmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
It may be loosening up due to vibration. Use loctite.
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojuana View Post
oh! And some tacky mother****er with a green 05 or 06 V6 Stang on some 22's" on the corner of my block. **** that dude.
Michaelrulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelrulaz View Post

It may be loosening up due to vibration. Use loctite.
If that were simply the case, I guess my confusion lies in why would this only happen to one bolt, and not on any other caliper bolt on this car or any other car I have done a brake job on? I realize that I may be over complicating the situation, I would be happy to know that when I need my brakes to work properly, they will be there.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:

If that were simply the case, I guess my confusion lies in why would this only happen to one bolt, and not on any other caliper bolt on this car or any other car I have done a brake job on? I realize that I may be over complicating the situation, I would be happy to know that when I need my brakes to work properly, they will be there.
Could be slightly damaged. Only real solution is replace the whole thing
Kawasaki Ninja500
150cc Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojuana View Post
oh! And some tacky mother****er with a green 05 or 06 V6 Stang on some 22's" on the corner of my block. **** that dude.
Michaelrulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

Garage
i had this happen to me but slowly(the back side of my rim looks like shit) and luckily when i finally lost the bolt i was able to retrieve it. also on my friends car it happened and one great way to help limp it somewhere is to swap bolts if possible so it will do it backing up instead of forward.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Addicted Member

Garage
If you can't find the GM replacement bolt, my suggestion is a junkyard. I'm cool with the people at my junkyard, so if I need a bolt, they let me have it for free if I go snag it myself. I'm guessing you could get the same if you ask.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodd View Post
If you can't find the GM replacement bolt, my suggestion is a junkyard. I'm cool with the people at my junkyard, so if I need a bolt, they let me have it for free if I go snag it myself. I'm guessing you could get the same if you ask.
Well up until today, my salvage yard of choice did not have a 4th gen. So I was going to go on tuesday, but a trip to another hardware store provided me with exactly what I need. I also grabbed some loctite, and I will put them on in the next couple of days and hopefully that will end this problem.