Driver Side Power Window Problem - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > General Camaro & Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Driver Side Power Window Problem

Hey everyone. I bought my v6 94 Camaro around July last year. About a month after I had it I began to have window problems. I go to college in NC and drove it down, as soon as I drove from NY to NC my driverside window started to basically die on me. It would go down but take forever to go back up. Sometimes I would have to drive around a little and put it up a little at a time. Eventually it kept going down less and less until it wouldn't go down at all. This past summer my uncle and my dad (who have been working on cars their whole lives) replaced the motor. For about a month after that my window went up and down fine, but now it seems like the window is off track. My window is lopsided and doesn't fit in the door. The gap between the door and the window grew bigger and bigger and now I have about a 5 inch gap between where the window is and where the top of the door is. It will not stay up. I have to pull it physically to make the window stay up but once I get riding down the road it just slips back down. Now, my brand new motor has stopped working as well. I tapped the window to the car, but after awhile the adhesive on the tape just gave out. I was wondering if anyone else had a problem similar to this and how they are fixing it. I'm tired of getting a wet ass when I try and drive my car and it's been raining.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Try #2 here

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Oh and welcome to CZ....

Last edited by frumpy; 10-09-2013 at 03:51 PM.
frumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Welcome

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 192k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 189k miles
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

It sounds like the window motor and/or the window regulator (the arm/lever contraption that the window sits on) has become separated from the door. I bet if you take the door panel off you will see that a rivet has broken, or a screw is missing, and the motor/regulator has become separated from the door panel.

It happened to me. I had to reinstall the regulator and motor to the door panel, properly.

If it turns out the mounting holes in the fiberglass door are enlarged and too big, you can use a little fiberglass-friendly epoxy to fill the hole before drilling a smaller hole back into it, or you can try to use a longer bolt/nut and large fender washer combo to get the bolt tension spread out over a larger area.

A fix for the motor being slow and not working, if it's still an issue after fixing the regulator, is here:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...tors-pics.html

I've got my D1SC in a box.

Last edited by ZexGX; 10-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote