Heat for winter. - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > General Camaro & Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 12-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Heat for winter.

Ok so this really doesn't fit in this section but really not in any other either. I figured I'd share how I got heat for the winter after removing All of the heat/ac components this summer. What I did instead of buying a $150 ac delete box @7-9lbs is I made my own that weighs about 14 ounces out of black aluminum flashing from Home Depot. When removing components on engine side of firewall pick a spot about an inch or two outside the fender towards engine. Use a cutoff wheel to cut the box out here as straight down as possible. Then remove the bolts and remove box/evap core/expansion tank. You will now have part of the box left to mount your home made box to using rivets. Now remove what you want to remove from inside, or you can leave if you choose. If you leave it is as simple as just building your new box. If not you can just go to parts store and pick up a heater core or if you trust yours reuse. I went and got a $25 core and used rivets and weatherstrip to seal to the opening in the firewall. The opening that will need to be covered in engine bay is 6-1/2x 9". I made it 2" deep but 1-1/2 would work. It is easier to start on side closest to engine and work towards box. You will want a 1/2" flange to fasten with and weatherstrip the back, but that really isn't necessary as there will be a ton of air flowing now with no evaporator and such. Cost $10 and about two hours including bending. A little trick to bend the flashing straight is get two rulers or paint sticks and screw together at one end. You can open like scissors, slide metal in close up squeeze the end not screwed tight and bend. The inside will be boxed and slits blowing left,right, and in front up and down. You could also use 2" PVC capped on end and holes drilled where you want heat to blow. The duct tape will be replaced with silicone or rubber. Pics. Saved about 20 lbs and got rid of clutter so I can hide things under dash when it goes back in. May move msd in and a few other things now. Then that will clean up the bay and inner fenders.

1978 Base Model Camaro. 396 Stroker. Protourfbody suspension, afco racing chassis parts. Dart heads. 2200 stall,350th. 3.42 moser/eaton 30 spline. Hankook Ventus H101 400 treadwear street tread. 7.59@92.5 1/8. 1.77 60' Ballasted to 3778 lbs. driven 500 miles to and from track.
Flex trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Garage
Evidently you can't edit or I can't figure out how. The box does not weigh 7 lbs. don't know why I put that got mixed up.
Lol will let me edit this but not original....

1978 Base Model Camaro. 396 Stroker. Protourfbody suspension, afco racing chassis parts. Dart heads. 2200 stall,350th. 3.42 moser/eaton 30 spline. Hankook Ventus H101 400 treadwear street tread. 7.59@92.5 1/8. 1.77 60' Ballasted to 3778 lbs. driven 500 miles to and from track.
Flex trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Korndogg
There is a time limit on edits.

Korndogg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Korndogg For This Useful Post: