Camaro Zone Forums banner

Help please!!! Urgent!!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  freebird67 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what my engine came out of. I recently bought an 81 TA with a blown up 301 and 400 that was supposedly out of a special edition TA. Ive looked at every "engine code" page on the net and all I've gotten is more confused:dunno:. I'm not trying to see if it matches the VIN I already KNOW it doesnt. I just wanna know what i got so I can figure out what HP I got without dynoing it and so I can get the right parts for it.

Here are the numbers....

pwh
29L168905........is the engine code and the # that supposedly has partial
VIN# located on frt pass side just below the head by timing
chain
481988............is the block casting # located by the distributor

K167...............is the casting date also by the distributor and on pass side
head

K227 ...............is on the driver's side head

6X...................head # on both sides

4....................small 4's stamped into heads

GM 5 XX..........not sure what this code is but its on bottom pass side of
block

All the #'s are cast except pwh 29L168905 and the 4's. These 2 are stamped.

Can anyone help decode these #'s and then explain which numbers they used to identify it?

All I've come up with is casting date is 11-1-67 (k167) 69 pont ram air using the wh from (pwh) and conflicting info when refrencing the block casting # (481988) cuz that indicates 71-74 firebird, and trying to match the engine VIN# to a car wont translate out because there is only one letter in the whole #(29L168905) when using the XX (GM 5 XX) theres several different 6.6 firebirds that come up. and the small 4's on the heads indicates its W72???? So do I have an engine that was thrown together out of a scrap pile lol or what the heck am I doing wrong??

PLEASE HELP, I'm so frustrated it aint funny...lol... btw what is rpo and is it on the block somewhere?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm trying to think about when I ran some numbers on my bosses old 350. I want to say under the valve cover is a number may 6-8 digits long. that was the one that told use the heads when I looked them up. were not very good heads. just your old XXXXX882's

#3 · (Edited)
Im a little confused here. Is it a 301 your looking for parts on or a 400. The pwh indicates a 400 and the 6X-4 heads will not fit the 301. So I am assuming your looking for 400 numbers. The number 481988 indicates the block is 1 of three years 71,72,or 73. They were used in Grand prix, firebirds,catalinas and tempest models. With a hp ranging from 185-300. With the 6x-4 heads I can only assume that is a 250hp motor if it is stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.