Camaro Zone Forums banner

Keep Building Or Crate?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SpecialK 
#1 ·
ok I recently came into a bit of extra cash per-say and Im in debate. My lt1 has 180k miles on it. Was rebuilt right at 133k.In excellent running condition.I wanted everyones opinion should I further invest in a "tired" block?!?! My projected goal is 420-440 hp.I was thinking heads/custom cam,intake,stall convertor,stainless headers and some suspension components..Or should I just spend 5500 on the Golen 383 400hp? My friends are all blah blah just build your lt1 and save cash.But Im just a little hesitant to think it be as good an investment as a fresh 383.
THANKS AGAIN GUYS

#3 ·
No offense, but getting upset at 17 views, (most of which are google bots) isn't going to get you information. You only posted that last night. Most of the guys probably work during the day so they didn't see it. Not sure what you're looking for...

#4 ·
not offended at all man sorry if text read that way.I was just saying instead of making new thread.Just hope i took right route i think i did just very limited knowledge on the ls2 always been lt guy.I emailed a couple local shops about install prices. Also about getting headers on ls2 on 96 camaro.

#6 ·
don't go w/ that golen 383, my friend pete did that golen 383 combo w/ big stg 3 heads and a custom cam...etc... he didn't make shit for power after his custom tune. only like 404 rwhp. Hell, there are cam only LS1's that make better power than that 383 h/c combo.

If all you want is mid 400's to the wheels, go w/ a H/C/I/E/stall combo. Just make sure that the vendor you talk w/ will make sure to match the cam and the stall to your likings for max performance. Get gears too. You will be at or near your goal, just remember you have the iron block LT1, as long as you keep up regualr maintainance, you should be good to go for many miles to come. I have seen well maintained LT1's w/ 200,000+ miles on them and still run strong.

#7 ·
found ls2 throught lots of free time to google away at work lol.It was actually referenced for sale on someones myspace.As far as the Lt1 im going to keep it and build prolly always wanted to Im a die hard camaro fan this my 5th.Just never had a spare block lyin around.what does the E in H/C/I/E/ stand for ..heads.cam.intake..?

#8 ·
exhaust....lol meaning large: 1 7/8 headers, 3" x pipe & duels.

#9 ·
Lol

ohhh ok DUH dont know why i didnt see that. Yeah the ls2 was just such a good deal and my lt1 has 180k on it rebuilt like 33k ago but it still has a lil oil leak prob so figured be in best bet to get whole new block with less than 18k on it.I hope it all works out who knows i may get ls2 and just build it I just had to get it paid 2400 with freight to my house so hell couldnt argue with that i figured

#10 ·
That's a great price for a LS2. Grab some L-92 heads(preferably lightly ported, and with behive springs or similar), L-76 intake if you can find one. And then a Mild Cam with a set of custom headers with 1-3/4" primaries. That should get you about 440 WHP / 400 TQ. Just make sure that your tranny gets a bot of lovin too cause it won't last long with you doubling the power it has to handle.

Painless Wiring shoudl be able to give you everything you need for the conversion save for the ECU (god I hop you got the ECU with that deal, or you might be in for a bit of headache.) Talk with em, tell them exactly what you need and they'll make you a harenss that'll fit perfect. Sure ut'll cost more than snipping wires, but honestly. Do you want a harness that'll last as lon gas the motor, or risk something shorting out? Not baggin it's just having a ground when you shouldn't is the BIGGEST pain in the ass in the car world, especially when you gotta hunt down that ground out wire in a harness. $500 (exaderating here) up front beats the shit out of spending a month worth of free time finding that one wire rubbed raw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.