New to manual trans. Hard thud when shifting. Tip? - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > General Camaro & Firebird Tech

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

New to manual trans. Hard thud when shifting. Tip?

So I just got my first stick shift car. Was bored of auto. This problem doesn't happen when my dad drives, so I'm assuming it's my fault and not my car's. Whenever I'm shifting later, as if I were "racing" (6-7k rpm) from 1st to 2nd, I get a loud thud that sounds bad for the car. What am I doing wrong? Am I releasing the clutch too fast? Am I pushing the gas down to early before I fully release the clutch? What am I doing wrong to cause this thud? Ideas?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Garage
Number one: DONT DRIVE LIKE THAT. 1st gear is not for going fast its meant to get you going into 2nd. You'll wear out your tranny faster than a hooker burns rubber.

The loud thud is more than likely you releasing the clutch too hard. Slow down Mario Andreotti

Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Garage
Sounds like your diff is hitting the bump stops on changes.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 Bird View Post
So I just got my first stick shift car. Was bored of auto. This problem doesn't happen when my dad drives, so I'm assuming it's my fault and not my car's. Whenever I'm shifting later, as if I were "racing" (6-7k rpm) from 1st to 2nd, I get a loud thud that sounds bad for the car. What am I doing wrong? Am I releasing the clutch too fast? Am I pushing the gas down to early before I fully release the clutch? What am I doing wrong to cause this thud? Ideas?
You haven't learned how to synchronise engine speed with drive line speed.
Also, release the clutch slower.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 192k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 189k miles
NavyVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

x2 to what 1987 iroc z28 and navyvet said. Does it do it under normal driving; shifting around 1500/2000rpm? if so replace the tranny mount.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01camaro View Post
x2 to what 1987 iroc z28 and navyvet said. Does it do it under normal driving; shifting around 1500/2000rpm? if so replace the tranny mount.
To add to what 01camaro said, look at the condition of the torque arm bushing
Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 Bird View Post
The problem is you're shifting to soon. The engine needs to hit at least 9 grand before you shift to 2nd. Then slam it into gear as hard as you can to make sure it shifts. Then sidestep the clutch, it's that easy. One or two times shifting this way will eliminate all the noises you hear, because the engine, transmission, and rear end will all be scattered all over the road. Just kidding, don't do any of that.
Seriously though, you're driving your car way to hard. Sounds like you may have a bad transmission or motor mount. Who knows it could be anything.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Garage
Well, learn to drive normal better before you try to do intermediate stuff. This is how bad things happen.

Also check your tanny mounts. Could be bad, allowing movement under massive stress..

2010 Camaro SS, 2SS, RS pkg, 6-Speed. (When privileged to drive)
2002 S10 LS Crew Cab 4x4 ZR5 (Up for sale soon)
2004 Cavalier LS Standard (DD)
March 2012 COTM (01' SS)
Ooorah! Semper Fidelis
GhoSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383 Stroker View Post

The problem is you're shifting to soon. The engine needs to hit at least 9 grand before you shift to 2nd. Then slam it into gear as hard as you can to make sure it shifts. Then sidestep the clutch, it's that easy. One or two times shifting this way will eliminate all the noises you hear, because the engine, transmission, and rear end will all be scattered all over the road. Just kidding, don't do any of that.
Seriously though, you're driving your car way to hard. Sounds like you may have a bad transmission or motor mount. Who knows it could be anything.
Hahahaha I was reading this thinking WTF?? And then finished and it made me laugh