Camaro Zone Forums banner

Question about SS camaros

15K views 196 replies 18 participants last post by  sharkbait54 
#1 ·
I'm looking to maybe purchase a SS camaro it's really nice but I have a few questions. First of all it's clothe interior I thought they were all leather? Second the little badge by the stereo reads "Camaro" shouldn't it read "Camaro SS"?

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It should.
I would imagine you could order a cloth SS, and I would think that badge inside would be pretty much the same across all of the trim levels.

Once you have the VIN, you can check options pretty easily.

Reactions: sharkbait54
#8 ·
I want to say they did. I taped the SLP episode of American Muscle car and I want to say they claimed that all the SS cars were sent to SLP as Z28s and left as SSs, with the level of modification left to what the customer put on the order sheet.

#9 ·
That very well could be.
I always thought there were two SS's though.....an SLP SS and a "base" SS. Clearly using "base" very loosely.

#11 ·
Maybe you're thinking by The Firebird system? Maros only had Z28 as far as v8 f-body from the factory and Firebird having the formula and the trans am? And the SS is like the WS6? And Firehawk I guess is its own beast?

Just throwing shit out there.

#12 ·
The LS1 WS.6 is from ASC Global. The LT1 WS.6 is SLP. The LS1 Firehawk is SLP.
I always thought there was an SS and a SLP SS..... :dunno:

#14 · (Edited)
I didn't know that the LS1 WS6 wasn't SLP like the LT1. I thought it was. I'm way more of a Camaro guy, I know them inside out. Never read much on Pontiacs. When I first got on here, it was the first time I learned that Firebird automatics had the performance button. Lol. I was like "wow, that's cool." Lol.

I knew the Firehawk was SLP, just thought the WS6 was too.

#17 ·
Ya, ^^^^^ the VIN will only say its a z28, not an SS. Idk why Mr, Luos said to check the VIN. RPO codes will tell you if it is or not. I have never seen an SS with cloth seats tho. And I've seen a lot of SS's. But guess one could have been ordered with them. Doubt it tho.

#20 ·
Well, when I first got mine, I was overseas. But when I came home I called SLP directly, all you need is the VIN.

Mine has all the goodies, leather included, but my interior badge says CAMARO only, in white though, so imagine this is aftermarket, its usually red in every other car I've owned with it.

#22 ·
Based on the pics you posted in the OP of this thread, I found the listing here:
Used 2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (Silver Car) | Indianapolis

I ran the VIN through SLP's site and found this:

So it has the base options with the SS00 package.

Seems like a high price for that many miles and not the cleanest car. That's just my opinion, though.

#23 ·
#24 ·
You have to register, but this is cool. Easier than calling, lol.

#26 · (Edited)
I got a Camaro white book, and I started looking through it after the conversation yesterday about the SS and SLP, in 96-97 the RPO code was R7T and it was available through dealers, but was a non- Chevy modification by SLP. in 98 the code changed to WU8 and was an "in house" option. In 96-97 Z28s were built at Ste. Therse and converted to SS by SLP, beginning in 98 SSs were built at Ste. Therese and shipped to SLP in nearby LaSalle with a temporary hood. SLP would add the new hood, spoiler, and any SLP exclusive content.

So SLP still put their hands on every car, but the 96-97 got there as Z28s,(I guess is why the label Z28SS is stronger in those years) and starting in 98 they arrived as Technically SSs ( With the suspensions mods only I guess, shocks, springs, swaybars, etc) and got like, the finishing touches, with the hood and other stuff at SLP.

Edit: aren't the shocks SLP exclusive? Maybe they got their with stock shock?

#28 ·
Ok well I went to go look at it and I bought it lol. The paint is absolutely immaculate the suspension is nice and tight the top looks new, the interior is clean, everything works, rims are clean as can be, I floored it a few times it's so much faster than my V-6 (lol), the engine pulls like nothing.

The guy ended up taking 1k off asking price and I got a decent deal financing it. Drove it all the way back (5 hours). So I really got to take it for a real test drive. All I can say is it's fast. I couldn't be happier I got a couple complements at the rest stops even lol.

Thanks for the help verifying it being an SS

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
Congrats and enjoy!

Were the headlights and taillights covered or actually tinted? In the previous pictures all 4 were tinted or had covers on but in your recent pics they are not.

IMO, the first thing you should do is to clean that engine bay, it looked filthy from the listing pictures. :lol: Get yourself some rags and simple green (maybe a stiff bristled toothbrush for crevices), and spend a few hours scrubbing. It's tedious work but you'll be very happy once you're done.

#32 ·
Congrats and enjoy! Were the headlights and taillights covered or actually tinted? In the previous pictures all 4 were tinted or had covers on but in your recent pics they are not. IMO, the first thing you should do is to clean that engine bay, it looked filthy from the listing pictures. :lol: Get yourself some rags and simple green (maybe a stiff bristled toothbrush for crevices), and spend a few hours scrubbing. It's tedious work but you'll be very happy once you're done.
They were covers I liked them but ran the risk of getting pulled over.

I made them clean the engine bay before I bought it. They cleaned up top but the bottom needs some attention I'll get right on it. While I was there I couldn't find a spot of oil I was. Very pleased.

#33 ·
congrats man! its clean looking!

#35 ·
You didn't mention is was a vert! Sweet!!! Love verts.

Yea someone threw some C5's Z06's on there. Look good though.

Reactions: sharkbait54
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.