Camaro Zone Forums banner

rear end

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  slayer74 
#1 ·
anyone lnow how to check the size of rearend gear, mine might have been changed, and also where is a good place to look for a 99 Camaro z28 373 or close to it?

#2 ·
Yukon makes pretty tough gears check with them. If the rear is out of the car open the cover and the gears are usually marked, if not jack up the rear put it in neutral and have someone spin the tire slowly noting a spot on the tire that they can see easily. Have the tire do I revolution and count how many revolutions of the driveshaft with 3.73:1 gears the driveshaft would turn roughly 3.75 turns.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#4 ·
Count teeth on pinion and ring. Divide ring number by pinion number. Thats to get ratio.
To measure the size simply measure the ring gear diameter. It should be either 7.5 or 8.5 inches. 99 came with a 7.5.
10 or 12 refers to the number of bolts attaching ring to carrier.
You should be able to find one in a junkyard. Autos should be 3.42 manuals 3.73. Swap housing and all or just buy a new ring and pinion and install in your housing. Used gears will whine if swapped from diff housing.
What's going on with yours? Just looking for a ratio swap or old one crapped out?

#5 ·
Autos came with 2.73 and 3.08 manuals came with 3.23 and 3.42s if I remember right.

#8 ·
I should have posted those were for v8 cars still could be wrong on part of it but I do know my 94 z28 had 3.42s factory and my 98 z28 auto had 2.73s factory.

#11 ·
not trying to hi jack anyones thread,but flex what RPMs are you clocking at 65-70mph,currently running 3:90s and want to switch to 3:42s for a more highway friendly ride? thanks sean
Transmission has an effect on cruising RPM also.
With my 6 speed 70 mph is around 1650 RPM in 6th with 3:42 gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.