Nice spray paint? - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > Appearance and Car Care

Join Camaro Zone Today

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nice spray paint?

Okay guys, I need some help. Me and my friend are talking about spray painting some stuff on my car. My k-member, torque arm, various stuff before I install new ones. I have seen jobs come into the body shop and not believed they are spray paint as long as the proper measures are taken. And I think I am going to paint my tranny as well, but I'm going to do that legitly.

Now, A) do you guys have any examples of good looking spray paint work? (sanded cleaned primered painted and cleared, and looking awesome)
And B) when painting the tranny do I have to do any extra steps to do it right? Do I need special paint, or special primer to help adhere the paint to the housing? Also should I do like 2 clear coats? Or should I do more (because of the exposure to rocks, muck, and road grime) and risk getting a bubble or two?

P.s. I tried to contact the tranny master sniper, but his inbox is full so that's just no F'in bueno.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Addicted Member

Garage
Now are you talking about rattle can spray paint?

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
CZ's Audio Yoda
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
The suspension parts would be better off powder coated. More durable than paint and looks great! Reason after market companies powder coat their parts. As far as the trans, a good high heat paint would work just fine. Clear coating is JUST an option. Personal preference really. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the trans. Just clean the underside of your car regularly.

2001 Camaro SS LS1
T56
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Eh yeah I think some of the smaller parts I would spray paint. I did my ebrake handle and if you hold it up to my fender you can barely tell the difference. And I'm probably gonna take off all the parts that are small and go to a buddys and use his home radiowave part washer. Then start the painting process. And I would love to powder coat them but I dont have the stuff for powder coating and don't want to pay someone. The tranny I would do like any bodyshop does.
Yeah meatwad I'm talking rattle can. And ercmann, other than price you also can't do touch ups to powder coat correct? I may very well leave the tranny alone but I would like it red, so still in the middle lol
Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Garage
I'm sure it would look great if done right. But don't expect it to last! You risking price and looks or longevity and quality.

And what body shop rattle cans valve train parts? You sure your not confusing specific paint in a can type products meant for valve trains and outer parts, over counter bought crap like Duplicolor?

Don't Race Inspired Cosmetic Engineer your car man. I once did on interior parts, looked good, but didn't last for shit, and I sanded and primed the parts. I attached a pic, this lasts about a year or two.

And forgive my steering wheel cover, I was young and didn't know what taste was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	19405  

2010 Camaro SS, 2SS, RS pkg, 6-Speed. (When privileged to drive)
2002 S10 LS Crew Cab 4x4 ZR5 (Up for sale soon)
2004 Cavalier LS Standard (DD)
March 2012 COTM (01' SS)
Ooorah! Semper Fidelis
GhoSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhoSSt
I'm sure it would look great if done right. But don't expect it to last! You risking price and looks or longevity and quality.

And what body shop rattle cans valve train parts? You sure your not confusing specific paint in a can type products meant for valve trains and outer parts, over counter bought crap like Duplicolor?

Don't Race Inspired Cosmetic Engineer your car man. I once did on interior parts, looked good, but didn't last for shit, and I sanded and primed the parts. I attached a pic, this lasts about a year or two.

And forgive my steering wheel cover, I was young and didn't know what taste was.
Well I meant how a body shop would paint the tranny. I'll take that to my booth and treat that right, but I was thinking I probably just rattle can the small stuff. And I love that interior. Mines a little diff since its a third gen, but still love it.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Although I would have went with red on the ashtray cover and the e brake too lol. Yeah I have done a few cars, but now that I'm on mine I'm really looking at what I want. And as far as the tranny goes I'm hoping i can paint that like I would a fender or something if I decide to do that.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #8

Garage
Here's my interior still looks badass and it was done 4-5 years ago don't mind the terrible seat covers I'm running just the red cloth origional seats now haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2019798320.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	19412   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-408445633.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	19413  
Old 07-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice guys. That's sickk iroc 88.. Who knows I might break down and actually paint everything the right way. I was just thinking the tranny mount I could spray paint and little stuff like that because no one will look at it that close, and it'll still look decent...
Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc-z 88 View Post
Here's my interior still looks badass and it was done 4-5 years ago don't mind the terrible seat covers I'm running just the red cloth origional seats now haha
So what did you use on the dash? That could be his answer. I used Duplicolor

2010 Camaro SS, 2SS, RS pkg, 6-Speed. (When privileged to drive)
2002 S10 LS Crew Cab 4x4 ZR5 (Up for sale soon)
2004 Cavalier LS Standard (DD)
March 2012 COTM (01' SS)
Ooorah! Semper Fidelis
GhoSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #11

Garage
I can't remember but for my rear end cover I used rustolium high heat chevy orange paint 2 coats with no clear
Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ghost I actually liked the ways your interior looked. Now obviously I couldnt see it age and and stuff, but idk. And I use duplicolor's primer for small parts, and krylon paint for the clear and actual color.
Pics of said rearend???