Camaro Zone Forums banner

shaving door handles

4K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  enjoi2129 
#1 ·
well if you read the FWP thread youd know someone decided they liked my car without lock cylinders more than i liked it with them. called insurance looks like i dont have comprehensive, i never have according to them but i thought i did...anyways my parents said theyd call homeowners insurance and try to get them to fix my door, the person who busted them out ruined the door pretty much from what it looks like to me and other people so i was just wondering if anyone has had their car handles and locks shaved and how much it most likely would be? because my insurance agent said that if its really bad they may just total my car out and i really dont want that so i am just looking at my options for going around it and i dont want my parents to call homeowners because i dont want their insurance to go up because of me, or if you guys/gals have anymore suggestions to what i could do that would be great.

im taking it to a body guy tomorrow so he can tell me if the doors are junk or not.

thanks for lookin and helpin!

#2 ·
At the worst you can replace the doors.
However the outer skin is composite and can be repaired with fiberglass.
Also, you or your parents buy insurance for a reason. Use it.

Reactions: ZexGX
#3 ·
At the worst you can replace the doors. However the outer skin is composite and can be repaired with fiberglass. Also, you or your parents buy insurance for a reason. Use it.
Yeah I called my insurance company but I guess I've never had comprehensive which is what vandalism/break ins cover I guess. So my insurance won't do shit but my parents are more than likely gonna call homeowners for vandalism on property. But I just hate having them to use their insurance on me. I'm 21 Tryin to take care of this on my own but ill probably just let them call them on Monday and maybe I'll be able to glass it all together then.

#4 · (Edited)

Attachments

#9 ·
My son and I have been working on shaving his door handles in his car.

I did to his what I did to a 4 banger I had back in the day....

He couldn't afford to shave and buy the door popper kits, so I cut the rod going to the handle and welded it to the door lock.

Here it is installed and blacked out....

Here it is installed on the car (we shaved the side markers also). It's a work in progress. Since the picture was taken he's put a T/A nose and front kit on it...

At any rate, all you do is insert key and turn, voila, the door opens with no electricity and you don't have to worry about batteries failing...

#17 ·
That I know. I've thought about all of this. I gotta talk to a shop about how much it would be to do what I want and how much it would be and then my parents are gonna see about the home owners thing.

#29 ·
maybe on one of the side view mirrors? and have a key fob that will open it? so basically the buttons are a last resort

#24 ·
I mean, if the body guy is worth his salt, he should be able to straighten it out with hammers...if not, and he's going to shave the lock, why not just cut out the bad part of the door and weld in another lock area from a donor door...

#27 ·
Yeah I know. But they never got into the car when they did it. We think someone did it just todo it. The body work is taken care of if I go that route. It's really just getting the locks set up and how much that'll be. But I understand what you're saying

#30 · (Edited)
Not a clue lol but the shop just said to put unlock and lock key fab thing installed on the car is 300. So I'm going to do that. If the key fab stops working I will just crawl through the hatch like I've been doing to unlock the door. Boom. Problem is solved!

#35 ·
Well holes are in the doors still. The shop got the door locks keyless entry and new actuators in and my inside locks still work because the polarity is reversed as well as the aftermarket keyless entry so I can use a keyfab to unlock my doors and I parked the Camaro on Wednesday. Engine then holes then whatever else I think of during winter. Thanks for the help fellas and welcome sarge! Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.