Camaro Zone Forums banner

3800 to z28 swap

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BigBowtie85 
#1 ·
I was wondering how easy is it to swap from a 3.8 to the beautiful mustang killer 5.7

Sent from my MotoG3 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
The easier, less time consuming and less costly would be to sell your car and just buy a V8 car.

The swap isn't easy at all. It's costly and time consuming. Plus working out the bugs after the swap.

There are a couple members on here that have done it. Do a forum search.

If you really want to know:

Example of the parts needed:

-Complete LS1 w/ pcm and harness (I got a 02 w/ 36k miles. The 01-02 already have the LS6 intake on them.)
-T56 for LS1 (Mine was from a 00 T/A)
-LS1 exhaust (your old V6 exhaust wont bolt to the LS1)
- LS1 K-member (I got mine complete with steering rack, brakes, 1LE sway bar and shocks w/ springs.)
-LS1 steering rack (It is needed for clearance issues, mine came w/ my K-member)
-LS1 Front brakes are optional (I got them since they came with my K-member)
-LS1 Throttle cable
-93-97 LT1 T56 cross member (LS1 cross member doesn't bolt in to a 93-97 car!)
-99 Corvette fuel filter (you need this since the 3.8 has a return fuel system and the LS1 is return less, it also is going to be your fuel pressure regulator)
-LS1 radiator
-All radiator and heater hoses
-Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel (mine were OEM and still attached to the motor)
-98 Coolant temp sensor (98 uses a 3 wire so that I was able to use my temp gauge)
-The bolts to bolt the transmission to the engine if you don't have them.
-Butt connectors (the ones that can be melted and sealed with a heat gun)
-Extra wire

Link to an LS1 write-up:

http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f16/ls1-swap-write-up-174263/
Posted from iPhone 7 Plus using Camaro Zone Mobile App

#3 ·
x2 on what the member above me said. I've been generally checking out a LT1 to LS1/2 swap and it seems to be a bit more worked than one would think. As with any build where you're making major changes to the drivetrain and powertrain, you're better off just buying the car that is already built that way.

#5 ·
So the best option would be to just swap another 3.8 in

Sent from my MotoG3 using Camaro Zone mobile app
Does the current engine have issues? If the engine just "needs" replaced or rebuilt, then yes.

If you "want" a v8, the best and cheapest option for that is to buy a car that already has a v8.

Posted from iPhone 7 Plus using Camaro Zone Mobile App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.