Camaro Zone Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm air. Cooling system question

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  1987 IROC Z28 
#1 ·
1988 300zx

First things first I replaced the heater core with a guaranteed working one. (Pressure tested no leaks). I noticed the coolant reservoir was pretty dried up so I added coolant to it and continued on to burp the system.

In order to expel air from to coolant system I need to burp the system. So I burped it and burped it. But now the air coming from the heater is warm but not hot like a normal working heater should produce.

I also drove it a bit to buy a Turkey baster and when I got home to look at the coolant level, I removed the main radiator cap and there was seemingly no pressure. Now I kno that a faulty radiator cap can cause the engine to overheat, however, there's been no signs of overheating that I'm aware of.

I digress, what should I do next to solve the low temperature heated air coming from the vents?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Camaro Zone mobile app

#4 ·
For the radiator thing, you can borrow a test tool from AutoZone. I think it's called radiator pressure gauge or something like that. Super easy to use and lets you test both the rad cap and radiator system. The pressure should remain consistent for a few minutes. If not, something's most likely leaking.

For the heater issue, sorry I don't have any advice. Actually having the same issue on my own car.

#8 ·
Coolant control valve might still apply though?

#10 ·
Did you get all of the air out of the system?

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#11 ·
Yea to my knowledge I did burp it and everything topped it off and closed up the radiator cap. I could still squeeze the rad hoses with the cap on pretty easy. To the point where I could squeeze the hose to where it touches the inside together.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Camaro Zone mobile app

#12 ·
You are probably beating a dead horse then with the water and coolant...can you find the heater core hoses inside the engine compartment at the firewall? With the engine at temp, are they hot? If so, then you are probably looking at a bad diverter door under the dash...either the door, the dashpot that runs it, or the vacuum line(s) that run all of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.