Camaro Zone Forums banner

I got a serious problem.

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  1NCZ28 
#1 ·
I went to the farm this afternoon to see my mom and as I got out of my car I heard a bunch of barking so I went to see what was happening. figuring it was a Raccoon chased up a tree.

What I found, was a pack of wild dogs, along with my brothers dogs that he brings with him to work with him every day. Ganging up on my parents dog.

She's in sad shape and I think I'm going to have to have her put down.

The problem is, I don't think I have it in me to do it. We've had her for 6 years. and she's a good dog. But she can't walk, and she was breathing pretty hard when I put her in the garage so I think they got her lungs.

Vet is not an option. They'll put her to sleep because the guy is a dick like that.

So what I'm asking here is... what do I do?

#2 ·
Personally, I'd call everyone I knew and would see if they could suggest a vet who wouldn't want to put the dog down unless it was necessary. If you do have to put it down, as horrible as this sounds, make sure it's something powerful enough to do the job the first time.

#3 ·
Hi, I'm Roadrockets wife and a Vet Tech. If the dog has been lung compromised , she will try and stay up on her chest, like when she's just laying around. It sounds as though she is real shocky, and she will be exhausted from defending herself. Check her gums to see if they are white instead of dark pink, if white, she is in shock and has possible internal injuries. If she has punctured lungs, she should be bleeding and bubbling through her mouth. If the damage is toward the back of the lung, you may not see any blood. If she isn't walking, it sounds like a back injury or spine injury. If a tooth punctured her spine, she is hopeless, I'm sorry.
The only way to properly diagnose the dog is at the Vets, she needs xrays and fluids to bring her out of shock and dehydration. Antibiotics will be needed and plenty of quiet.
The emergancy clinic is super expensive but may be the last resort for her.
Please keep in mind that if she survives this,the dogs WILL attack her again until they kill her. She has lost a major battle and the alpha bitch and dog will always go after her in the future. There are no kill Humane Societies that can recommend a no kill Vet, but you can't talk to them until the morning.
Keep her down and quiet, keep plenty of water next to her and mark the bowl to see how much she drinks( the Vet will want to know), do not feed her tonight but wait and she if she is able to eat in the morning, then just a small amount. If she is real bad off, The Vet will need to knock her out for xrays, and anisthesia to stitch her up.
I hope this helps but past experience tells me that this dog should be at the Vets. Most Vets follow the rule of thumb, that death is permanet and saving the life is what they were trained for. If you don't trust your Vet, then call freinds and ask about the ones they use, surely there is a good Vet in your area. Keep her warm, give her fresh cool water, and you might stay with her and reassure her. Right now she is totaly confused and in pain, so be careful, she may snap because of pain, not being mean. Clean the wounds with peroxide and cool water and use antibiotic cream on the wounds. Check her belly and neck closely, that's a soft spot in a fight. Do not give her asperin or any human drugs because after all , she is a dog and won't react like a human. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I hope she makes it and gets well soon.
Please keep in mind that if she stays with the other dogs that this will happen again, a pecking order is maintained by dogs and if she has been seperated from the pack, they will not accept her back, next time they will kill her. Please keep us posted and if I can help , Please let us know. Cate

#6 ·
I myself have always had dogs, so I know your feelings about putting one down. But, you can't be thinking of yourself here.....the dog has to be in considerable pain and does not need to spend her/his last days suffering. The dog needs to be put down by the vet, plain and simple. Sorry to say it that way, but that is the simple truth of the matter. I had a dog that got hit by a truck and had massive internal damage, I could see the pain in her eyes and that alone was enough for me to say to mysel " it will be better for her to go in peace than to suffer for my self gratification" So, she was put to sleep. Hope it all works out. sorry about the dog, they are always your best friend, weather you have had a good day or bad day, sick or feeling well, they love you anyways.

#7 ·
^x2, my dog was getting old and had heart inflamation, wanted to spend money and keep him alive but all he did was cough in pain. Gotta look past everything and realise that she needs to go down. Its tough.

#10 ·
As stated before there wasn't a good vet around, and I wasn't gonna put her through a 2 hr trip to a vet. We took her into the vet I didn't trust, her backs paralyzed. She's got trauma to her organs. She's blind in both her eyes now. For while I thought she'd be fine, she was drinking like a horse. Ate only a little though.

Tonight though she basically has given up, if she makes it through the night we're taking her in to be euthanized. The dogs that attacked her, save for one, has be dealt with. Last thing we need is one of my nephews or niece getting attacked. Proof enough was my brother told me after I nailed 2 of them was that he saw those dogs chasing his cattle the morning following the attack on the family dog.

#12 ·
Better hurry this last oen has till sunrise to get the hell out of here.

#13 ·
Just give them a painful death like they delt out: soak some raw hamburger meat in anti-freeze and set it out for the wild dogs. Within 3-4 days they will shrivel up and die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.