Camaro Zone Forums banner

Street/strip project

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  redbandit87 
#1 ·
Hey I'm having trouble deciding a street/street setup for my third gen it's a 5 speed car but t5 aren't that strong what would be a good engine to start with sbc, bbc or ls1 I just need ur opinions what would be worth the money without breaking the bank and I'll be using a t56 but is there a way to upgrade to a better rear end than buying a 3000 dollar rear end please give me some ideas and opinions thanks

Sent from my SM-S975L using Camaro Zone mobile app

#6 ·
Hey I'm having trouble deciding a street/street setup for my third gen it's a 5 speed car but t5 aren't that strong what would be a good engine to start with sbc, bbc or ls1 I just need ur opinions what would be worth the money without breaking the bank and I'll be using a t56 but is there a way to upgrade to a better rear end than buying a 3000 dollar rear end please give me some ideas and opinions thanks

Would it be really expensive I heard some people did it without breaking there bank so what would be a good mods on a lsx that would be worth putting money into it?

Not wanting to break the bank, I will guess you are looking for a "budget" build?
Swapping parts in unlike generations is never cheap. LS1/t56 in a 3rd gen has been done numerous times. But, it ISN'T just a simple plug and play. If you can find a "wrecked donor" car with a good LS1/t56, that would be a good start. Most of the time, these are tough to find, cause usually the person selling is keeping the Engine and Trans and parting out the rest of the car. Or, the Engine needs to be rebuilt. An LS1/t56 combo by themselves isn't going to be cheap.
You can have your t-5 built, then just go with a built 350/383. This would also be a good start.
As far as the rear differential goes, spend the money on a good 12 bolt or 9" modified for a 3rd gen........yes, these are costly, but well worth the money in long run. They will stand up to whatever is thrown at them.

Be realistic here: building a strip/street car is not cheap. If you cut corners, you decrease reliability tremendously.

Posted from iPhone 5s using Camaro Zone Mobile App

#7 ·
Ik a street/strip car ain't cheap what I mean breaking the bank I mean what's a good setup that ain't a waste of money pretty much the best bang for ur buck I'm looking for a setup where money is well spent I had thoughts of a 383 sbc but the lsx is proven alot to me that it has a little more potential than a sbc but I could be wrong so ny question is this what would be the best build that I do once and never look back

#8 ·
You will also tend to see better mileage out of a lsx based motor than the sbc. Not that that is a huge concern, but it doesnt hurt either.

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app

Reactions: redbandit87
#10 ·
So your saying a sbc can be as good as a lsx if it's built right

I don't think that's what he's saying. You can build your gen1 sbc pretty well for pretty cheap. You already have the engine and Trans.

To build a gen1 to be as efficient, powerful and tough as an LS will cost a lot of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.