Camaro Zone Forums banner

Ball joints.

4K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  ZexGX 
#1 ·
Anybody ever replaced their ball joints in there firebird? I have some bad ones in my car and I really don't have the money to fix right now so I'm trying not to drive it as much until I can fix them. Should I really take it as easy as I am or is it not as big of a deal as a lot of people say? It does rumble when I'm driving, not a whole lot, steering wheel has minimal to no shaking but it does shake.

#2 ·
I'm more inclined to think the rumbling is from worn hubs, and the shaking is from an out of balance wheel / tire.

Reactions: ZexGX
#4 · (Edited)
Jack the car up so that the tires are about an inch off the ground...place a tire iron under the tire and gently lift up...do you feel the tire move before then suspension starts to resist?

Next, grasp the tire and move it side to side...any clicking noises?

Theses tests aren't absolutely definitive but usually will tell if you have a bad ball joint and should be followed up by a visual inspection...

Oh, and the steering usually shakes from bad tie rods or out of round tires...ball joint usually leave the car drifting all over the road and excessive tire wear from bad camber...

#6 ·
Jack the car up so that the tires are about an inch off the ground...place a tire iron under the tire and gently lift up...do you feel the tire move before then suspension starts to resist?

Next, grasp the tire and move it side to side...any clicking noises?

Theses tests aren't absolutely definitive but usually will tell if you have a bad ball joint and should be followed up by a visual inspection...

Oh, and the steering usually shakes from bad tie rods or out of round tires...ball joint usually leave the car drifting all over the road and excessive tire wear from bad camber...
I'll have to try that, it's storming out here where I live for the next few days so I can't right now but I've read up about it a bit. My sound is more of a rumbling sound that gets faster/louder as I accelerate. Do ball joints make a rumbling sound?

#13 ·
Okay guys jacked the car up. I have play at 12 and 6 o'clock but pushing and pulling and 9 and 3 no play at all. Any idea? The play is minimal, not even a half inch but the noise while I'm driving is very loud, very strong. Especially when I turn to the right. And idea?

#19 ·
Yeah, the front wheel bearings are all 1 piece with the ABS sensor and wheel hub assembly. You can't just replace the front bearings alone. If someone says you can buy just front bearings (especially at $25) they are mistaken and are probably looking at a part number for rear axle bearings.

#25 ·
And when you get it all back together, drive it and the rumble is still there, you'll take it back apart and replace the hubs.:18:

#28 ·
Find a not busy street and drive about 30 mph.
Listen for the rumble and turn the steering wheel side to side.
If the rumble changes with direction changes, it is the hubs.
Mine failed and were noisy as all get out.
When removed they were still just as tight as the new ones.
I changed them myself.
Could not believe how much noise the old ones had been making.

#29 ·
I don't have a rumble but when I turn the wheel side to side at around 30mph it makes a clacking sound. I *do* have some vertical play (12-6 o'clock) so I'm pretty certain it's the bearing. Does that description of the sound seem right?

The plan is/has been to replace both front hubs after I finish my engine project on my truck.

#30 ·
That sounds more like upper control arm bushings.

Had mine done recently.

#33 ·
Hey, you don't have to replace anything unless it's damaged.

Try to grease the ball joints and you are fine .......

Good luck
Factory ball joints on these cars are non-serviceable. No grease fittings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.