Camaro Zone Forums banner

what fuel pump to get for 98 ws6

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  94z28 
#1 ·
I think my fuel pump is going out. I let the car run low on fuel. Now the car will not start right away. Also make buzzing sound. What fuel pump do you guys recommend for a 98 trans am. I had the f98 racetronix in mind, but is the hot wire kit really necessary or? Any info would help thanks.

#3 ·
The hot wire kit is worth it!!! Constant voltage to the pump is a wonderful thing.

Mostly stock though? Go with OEM replacement.
As mentioned, check out the fuel filter first. If you ran the tank low maybe the pump pushed some crap through to the filter....

#5 ·
I change the fuel filter earlier today. Also filled the tank. Car started up fine. After I let it sit for like 2hrs I went back to start it up and it didn't want to crank first try. It cranked on third try. I think I may go ahead the change the sending unit.. But there super high $$.. Thanks guys for the info

#6 ·
If you put a big pump like the racetronics or a walboro 255 in the Hotwire is needed to keep from burning the pump with the varying factory voltage. As mentioned, if your car isn't heavily modified stock will be just fine.

#7 ·
98 fue pump hard start

ok guys I changed the fuel pump complete sending unit along with the fuel filter. The car still doesn't start right away takes about three tries. It is also consuming alot of fuel. I had it checked for codes and cam sensor code showed up. I just replaced the cam sensor and no luck. Car still acting the same. This hard starting problem happened after I ran it extremely low on fuel. What I noticed when I removed the intake manifold to replace cam sensor was wet intake bolts, spark plugs all four on passenger side only. What could it be? Leaky injectors? Bad connection to sensor/pcm? Any one here with helpful info? Thanks

#8 ·
Could be leaky injectors. Remove the fuel rail from the manifold and then turn the key to run. If any fuel comes out, those are your leaky injectors.

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.