Camaro Zone Forums banner

Car overheating

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  NavyVet 
#1 ·
I really don't know much about cars, but I was driving and noticed my temperature was climbing pretty high on my gauge. I had a friend look at it and apparently my radiator fan doesn't turn on automatically, only if I turn on my air. I replaced the relay module and it didn't help. What could be my problem? I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but the car acts strange when first turning it on, it will be a little shaky and feel like it wants to die.

#5 ·
No it will not for a temp sensor

#4 ·
With the A/C off the low speed fans don't come on until 221° and the high speed will come on at 235° which is normal operation.

If you were moving over 40 mph when this happened, make sure the air deflector is still in place under the front of the car.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Okay. So far I have replaced the relay and temperature sensor, neither has fixed it. I have a question though. My speed odometer stopped working properly, and my cruise control doesn't work either.. would that be my vechicle speed sensor? And also, can this sensor cause my fan to not kick on automatically? Because like I said, if I put on the air my fan works.. What else could cause my fan to not kick on automatically?

#10 ·
Okay. So far I have replaced the relay and temperature sensor, neither has fixed it. I have a question though. My speed odometer stopped working properly, and my cruise control doesn't work either.. would that be my vechicle speed sensor? And also, can this sensor cause my fan to not kick on automatically? Because like I said, if I put on the air my fan works.. What else could cause my fan to not kick on automatically?
How high is the temp getting with the A/c off?

#12 ·
Ok, with A/C off and driving in town, the temp gage will go to almost the red area before the fans turn on.

The stripe ( mark ) in the middle of the gage is 210°
The low speed fans don't turn on until 221°
High speed fans turn on at 235° which is the mark just before the red zone.
If the gage hits the red zone without the fans on, then you have a problem.
If you're driving over 40 MPH and the temp gets that high, then you also have a problem.
How long since the radiator cap has been replaced?
They do fail.

#13 ·
It doesn't climb like that just driving in town like that in my other vehicles though..so I was definitely concerned.
I've had the car for about a year and haven't changed the caps..
Can a vehicle speed sensor cause my car to overheat though? Just out of curiosity.

#14 ·
No, a speed sensor won't cause it to overheat.
It will however cause shifting problems with an automatic if 1994 or newer model year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.