Camaro Zone Forums banner

Dylan's 1995 Z28

7K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  dylanf133 
#1 ·
Bought the car in February for 1900 bucks for a majority of reasons. Mainly because it was a 6 speed and also because it had air conditioning. It was probably one of my worse decisions! However the car has grown on me and I have enjoyed learning a lot about the LT1 platform and car maintenance.
The car had a ton of problems (2 years unpaid tags,CEL,etc.), but also had some really cool bonuses that the seller or myself knew nothing about. When I first brought it home I proceeded to change out all the fluids. They were disgusting to say the least. But while i was under the car I noticed it had sub-frame connectors and a T/A diff cover! Sweet! It also sported a rusty, hole filled flow-master catback :rock: I had the codes read and i believe there were about 12 codes.... it was insane lol. I changed the knock sensor, there were disconnected plugs everywhere, and lastly i actually had to change the computer out for a new one. The PO had left the computer open on the back and water had messed it up. Then i had a hard time getting it to pass smog. I had to change the EGR and also replaced the passenger side catalytic converter. The car then began overheating, replaced the radiator cap and had a bunch of leaking hoses that were eventually replaced. So the car was running again for about a week and the beloved optispark gave out. I was a little low on funds and used an Ebay opti..... gave out 3 months later. So i replaced it with a Delphi opti and then my fuel pump went :mad::mad:out:mad: Changed that with a delphi unit! Changed the power steering pump and hoses....
Now that the car was actually running right for the first time i got an itch to begin adding FUN car parts lol. I ordered Koni strt shocks, Founders performance panhard bar, LCAs and LCA relocation brackets. Also a TSP rumbler catback to replace the stock catback, which replaced the rusty flowmaster... catch my drift?? hahaha. I also picked up Edelbrock TES ceramic coated headers and y pipe with a cat for 100 bucks!:icon_smile: Recently replaced the TPS and also the coolant temperature sensor. O.K. so i apologize for that long intro of reading. I am sure i missed some little bits here and there. I will add pictures of the process shortly!

See less See more
#39 ·
So i installed my headers about a month ago and ever since my car has made this weird whine noise on startup. I believe its smog pump related, because as soon as the car warms up a bit and i hear it shut off it goes away. Any ideas of what i can do? Sorry i know this sounds really vague. I will post a video of it tomorrow!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#40 ·
Pop the hood and locate the sound. If its the smog pump, it won't be too hard to replace. If you don't have emissions tests, you can delete it.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#41 ·
Hey guys never got around to fixing that noise.... but its on my list lol. Today I went for another spirited run up my local canyon. Really weird but my front drivers side tire is rubbing on the fender during sharp turns. It also looks like the drivers side tire sticks out a tad further than the passenger side. I am assuming this is causing the rubbing. Could this be an alignment issue? Idk what else would cause it. It never did it before. Also my airbag light came on tonight as i was pulling into my driveway..... so that sucks too. Thanks in advanced!

#48 ·
Hey guys! I think im going to save up for a 9 inch. I havent decided yet but i do have a question. Did a lot of cars come with a 9 inch and a posi? I was checking prices and the cheapest i found for the whole thing was 1800 bucks roughly(including the actual rear end). Im wondering if i can save by pulling a 3rd member from a junk yard.

#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys! I think im going to save up for a 9 inch. I havent decided yet but i do have a question. Did a lot of cars come with a 9 inch and a posi? I was checking prices and the cheapest i found for the whole thing was 1800 bucks roughly(including the actual rear end). Im wondering if i can save by pulling a 3rd member from a junk yard.

I think the 9" has to be made to specifically fit our cars. Is that what you're looking at?

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app
This! ^^

Dylan: As I am sure you are well aware the 9" was a originally a Ford product. Although, there are companies out there that actually make a non Ford 9" for the f-Body's. Moser and Strange come to mind. Or a Ford 9" can be modified to fit an f-Body. Someday I hope to get a Strange 9" for my SS :D

#49 ·
I think the 9" has to be made to specifically fit our cars. Is that what you're looking at?

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#52 ·
This! ^^

Dylan: As I am sure you are well aware the 9" was a originally a Ford product. Although, there are companies out there that actually make a non Ford 9" for the f-Body's. Moser and Strange come to mind. Or a Ford 9" can be modified to fit an f-Body. Someday I hope to get a Strange 9" for my SS :D
Yes! I understand that part. I cannot do the fab work so i was going to buy the complete rear for our cars. They don't come with a 3rd member usually, but you can get one. They just increase the price a lot. Thats what i was curious about. Can you a get a third member from a JY for cheap?

#51 ·
9 inch mod

I had a friend modify a f-150 rear end years ago to fit in a 78 Monte Carlo race car. He used parts cut from a 71 or 72 Mopar rear end. I think it was a Gran Fury. He cut the axle bearing ends off both rear ends and had a shop weld the Mopar bearing parts onto the ford. He said that the Mopar had a larger bearing than the Ford. Also a C channel iron beam was modified and bent and welded to hug the back side of the 9 inch housing for strength. He did all the measuring and cutting himself then had the machine shop fit it up and get it welded. It turned out great.

#57 ·
Hmmm i wonder if it would be cheaper to get an 8.8 from hawks 3rd gen, just the carrier, and then get an 8.8 center section from a gt or something.

I may go this route, the 8.8 is lighter and holds plenty of power.

1996 Firebird- 3.8l w/ H/C/I/N20
2000 Camaro Z28- LS1 "cam only"

#59 ·
So i was driving back from school on the highway doing about 70 when the car just died. It then backfired really loud. Pulled off to the side of the road and started it up. Was really rough for a couple seconds and then idled high for about 30 seconds and was fine. During the start up the exhaust smelled terrible. Not like sulfur but almost a burnt plastic smell. Any ideas what i can test, look for, etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.