Camaro Zone Forums banner

Dylan's 1995 Z28

7K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  dylanf133 
#1 ·
Bought the car in February for 1900 bucks for a majority of reasons. Mainly because it was a 6 speed and also because it had air conditioning. It was probably one of my worse decisions! However the car has grown on me and I have enjoyed learning a lot about the LT1 platform and car maintenance.
The car had a ton of problems (2 years unpaid tags,CEL,etc.), but also had some really cool bonuses that the seller or myself knew nothing about. When I first brought it home I proceeded to change out all the fluids. They were disgusting to say the least. But while i was under the car I noticed it had sub-frame connectors and a T/A diff cover! Sweet! It also sported a rusty, hole filled flow-master catback :rock: I had the codes read and i believe there were about 12 codes.... it was insane lol. I changed the knock sensor, there were disconnected plugs everywhere, and lastly i actually had to change the computer out for a new one. The PO had left the computer open on the back and water had messed it up. Then i had a hard time getting it to pass smog. I had to change the EGR and also replaced the passenger side catalytic converter. The car then began overheating, replaced the radiator cap and had a bunch of leaking hoses that were eventually replaced. So the car was running again for about a week and the beloved optispark gave out. I was a little low on funds and used an Ebay opti..... gave out 3 months later. So i replaced it with a Delphi opti and then my fuel pump went :mad::mad:out:mad: Changed that with a delphi unit! Changed the power steering pump and hoses....
Now that the car was actually running right for the first time i got an itch to begin adding FUN car parts lol. I ordered Koni strt shocks, Founders performance panhard bar, LCAs and LCA relocation brackets. Also a TSP rumbler catback to replace the stock catback, which replaced the rusty flowmaster... catch my drift?? hahaha. I also picked up Edelbrock TES ceramic coated headers and y pipe with a cat for 100 bucks!:icon_smile: Recently replaced the TPS and also the coolant temperature sensor. O.K. so i apologize for that long intro of reading. I am sure i missed some little bits here and there. I will add pictures of the process shortly!

See less See more
#4 ·
Here was the suspension install! I have not done the front yet but will in a month or so. The rear of the car feels a million times better than before. In case you notice, I did forget to put the metal spacer for the LCA relocation bracket. I went back and fixed that mistake. I lost the pics of when i first got the car but will take pics of the sub frame connectors and what not soon.

Attachments

#7 ·
This is when i removed the stock exhaust and installed the tsp rumbler. The rumbler hanged very low and fell off a couple times. I had to adjust it and actually put a screw where it meets the y pipe to keep it from falling off after a while... lol! I am getting it all welded together with the tips once I install my headers this spring! CANT WAIT!!!! :rock:

Attachments

#8 ·
Last set. This is how she sits now! I actually raised the back a little so it would sit more level. I think i will order some Strano springs soon! I am going to try and complete the body work this month and give it a rattle can satin black paint job. My girlfriend gave me a new front bumper for Christmas so I am motivated again! :D I cant decide if i like the spoiler though. I do some days and other days not so much... also from certain angles lol.

Attachments

#11 ·
Installed this beaut today! Also a new shift ring because mine was destroyed. The shifts feel incredible compared to that stock junk I had before... I went through a company called Core shifters. Its kinda notchy but i love it. Reverse is a little harder to push into also, but i would never go back to the stock shifter. Would anybody like a stock shifter for free? You just have to pay shipping. If not im tossing it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Camaro Zone mobile app

Attachments

#12 ·
That looks good.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#14 ·
I put on a new bumper cover last weekend! I will post pictures tomorrow. While i was under the car i noticed the inside of both front tires are really dry rotted and cracked. I want to replace them soon and was wondering if you guys have any opinions. It has riken raptors on all corners. They are 275/40/17. I would like to stick with that size. Lastly, i want to replace my dash soon since it is all cracked and nasty. Any recommendations there? Thanks

#16 ·
Well i was left stranded at the store just now. Car started like normal and after 10 seconds just died. I checked for fuel at the schrader valve and there was fuel. Weird thing is i took it for a hour and a half total drive yesterday and it ran great... my guess would be to check the fuel pressure. Other than that i dont know. Any ideas?

#26 ·
Alright i changed the ignition control module and the car still isnt starting. My security light has been on since last February when i bought the car so i dont think that has anything to do with it, but who knows. Is that worth checking? Any help is appreciated!

#27 ·
Try the bypass and see what happens.

#29 ·
Yeah, just Google vats bypass.

#31 ·
Installed my front koni strt shocks today. Also replaced the upper control arm with a set from rock auto! Really nice quality especially for 40 bucks! Also installed my front sway bar. I will get the back one eventually.

#33 ·
After a canyon run today the power steering was screaming, smelled like it was burning and it looked low. I didnt see any leaks under the car or around the hoses. It became really hard to steer. I let it sit for 10 min and it was fine again. Still whined but i didnt smell any more burning and it was not hard to steer. Any ideas what is going on? I think it might be that the fluid began to boil.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
After a canyon run today the power steering was screaming, smelled like it was burning and it looked low. I didnt see any leaks under the car or around the hoses. It became really hard to steer. I let it sit for 10 min and it was fine again. Still whined but i didnt smell any more burning and it was not hard to steer. Any ideas what is going on? I think it might be that the fluid began to boil.

From spirited driving, the fluid gets worked and ran through the system quicker, fluid probably DID get hot, not really sure why it went low and is fine now. Being low is why it was screaming. Power steering fluid getting that hot is a sign of moisture in the system. Was the fluid foamy when you checked it? Or discolored? If so, then yes, moisture IS in the system. It's probably time for a power steering system flush.

#38 ·
Look into adding a power steering cooler. Any automatic transmission cooler will work, connected to the return line between the rack and the pump. Make sure the extra hose you purchase is rated for power steering fluid and is pressure rated. Also, TurnOne makes power steering pumps with better ratios for road race type driving. Makes turning into parking spots a little tougher but it is much easier on the pump when driving aggressively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.