Camaro Zone Forums banner

SS Hood Repair and Paint

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  HotRodd 
#1 · (Edited)
2002 Camaro Z28

I found a good deal on an SS hood ($100). It has a little fiberglass damage. And it's not the right color. It's black, I need Navy Blue Metallic. I want to make a project out of this, learn fiberglass work.
1) To repair the fiberglass, would I just apply fiberglass resin or bondo and sand it down smooth to make it nice again?
2) When painting, how much paint will I need to redo both sides of the hood? I don't have a paint gun/air compressor, but I could probably find one to borrow if I really tried. I found my paint code online for $35 in an 11 oz aerosol can. I'm kinda hesitant to use an aerosol can, because I want it to come out really nice. But I've done paint work using cans and been well pleased in the past. Would 11 oz be enough or no?
3) What clearcoat should I use?

Edit: maybe I'll just paint the bottom of the hood black. Rather than putting the expensive paint on the underside. So will 11 oz. cover the top of the hood?

#3 ·
Ok thanks. I actually just picked up the hood. We're on our way back, took my friend's truck. The guy I bought it from actually owns a shop and he does body work and all that. He had some first gen Camaro he did and built, his work was featured in GM High Tech Performance. He gave me tips and I took pictures of the stuff needed to do the job. I'll get pics of the damage when I stop.
Food Tin Ingredient Automotive tire Sports equipment

Fluid Paint Tin Material property Gas

Automotive tire Mouthwash Fluid Paint Tire

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

#6 ·
He had it listed for $200. He never did the work because he never had a buyer who wanted to pay for it. A few people said they would pay for it and the work, but they kept backing out so he just decided to sell it.

#7 ·
He had it listed for $200. He never did the work because he never had a buyer who wanted to pay for it. A few people said they would pay for it and the work, but they kept backing out so he just decided to sell it.

I think the point of his (jhobbins) post^^ ..... Was..... Why didn't the owner of the hood repair it himself. Him being a body shop person.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Camaro Zone

#9 ·
Update: body work came out nicely. Nothing too major, just some little dents and dings in the fiberglass. I used bondo glass and sealed it all up and made it nice. The hood is now painted and installed. It looks good for now, but I need to adjust the fitment a little more.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Plant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.