First Car, First Project: 1999 Camaro 3.8L v6 - Page 2 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > Members Camaros and Firebirds

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
How much did it cost to rebuild the 3.8? Cool project! As for interior cleaning, better to remove it all and do it out of the car.
jeffp1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp1167 View Post
How much did it cost to rebuild the 3.8? Cool project! As for interior cleaning, better to remove it all and do it out of the car.
well, to say the least, it has been a lot! lol i don't have an actual figure right now, i haven't had a chance to compile everything like i promised Superman i would, but i still plan on doing it. What helped was that i did most of the labor myself and provided a majority of the parts (found the best deals i could online). At the same time it wasn't just a rebuild, it was a full on upgrade with lots of performance parts so i'd say i'm in the 3-4k range at the moment. Either way, it has been a hell of a lot of fun!

I am looking at doing just that for the interior, when i first got the car i took a rug doctor to it so it isn't too bad inside but there are plenty of little broken things here and there, nothing major other than a crack in the dash but im not ready to deal with any of that yet haha

2000 Ram 1500 3.9L v6: Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Cold Air Induction System (work in progress)
Jraiderz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #23

Garage
So just a quick update/shoutout... I was contacted by Sam Strano of Strano Performance Parts today in order to finalize my order and go over the details... this guy is AMAZING. Not only does he have a great selection of products at very reasonable prices but he really and truly cares about his customers. He spent about 20 minutes going over every part of the order and ensuring it was exactly what i wanted in order to fit my needs. He also advised me against purchasing a part he didn't believe i needed and suggested an alternative product which he does not even sell but he truly believed would benefit me more (in other words, not trying to up sell me or get as much money out of me as possible but actually caring about what i ordered). He then gave me general tips on each product in terms of care/installation and wanted to be sure everything was clear and i had no questions. He also assured me that as soon as my order comes in and i have the Koni's in hand he will walk me through everything i need to know before the installation process (stuff he doesn't believe is covered well enough in the instructions). This is TRUE customer service and i couldn't be happier to have chosen him as my supplier for my current suspension needs. I will be sure to check back with him first for anything else i will need in the future. He is extremely knowledgeable, honest and caring- overall, 5 stars. Can't wait until the order comes in!

2000 Ram 1500 3.9L v6: Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Cold Air Induction System (work in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #24

Garage
Strano Delivery!

Yesterday and today i received my shipment from Strano Performance parts! Strano performance Lowering Springs, Koni 4/4 sport shocks, and 35/22mm Strano Performance Hollow Sway bars! I decided to spend a few hours this evening figuring everything out and decided to attempt the install of the rear (22mm) sway bar as it seemed like the easiest thing to do out of everything. The installation went well, it was actually way easier than i expected... even to the point of me worrying i was forgetting to do something because it seemed like such a simply process. The new sway bar bolted right on, no problems at all and i IMMEDIATELY noticed an enormous difference in performance handling. the rear was more stable than ever before. Even just driving out of my garage and driveway i could feel a difference. it really began to shine on turns though, i took a couple turns at higher speed than usual, partially to test it and partially because the car actually felt safe to do it in. Over all i am extremely pleased and cant wait to get my hands first tomorrow and install the front bar and maybe even the shocks and springs if i can figure it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-03 10.15.21.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	23464   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-03 10.19.24.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	23465   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-04 15.18.32.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	23466   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-04 19.24.50.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	23468   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-04 21.13.16.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	23470  

Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #25

Garage
make sure you buy new upper strut mounts before you start.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
make sure you buy new upper strut mounts before you start.
will do, thanks for the heads up!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #27

Garage
A couple quick, pictureless (for now) updates! I managed to finish the shock spring and sway bar install this weekend, HOLY CRAP WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This has been by FAR the best ride i have ever felt in an f-body. The Strano Springs/bars in combination with the Koni 4/4 shocks was amazing not only in comparison to the deCarbons but in general. I honestly could not have done the job without the help and advice from Sam Strano, he really made the install go smoothly and definitely saved me a lot of time and money, once again, well worth it and the ride is amazing. The stance is also pretty great now, i love the slightly lowered look, gives it some much needed aggression. I will be sure to post pictures as soon as i get home from work.

I am getting the car dyno tuned tomorrow, i will post #'s etc. as soon as i can, i'm definitely excited to get it done though.

Also, my rear bump stops were pretty much gone, i bought a new pair of GM stops and they too made a huge difference. Once again, i will post pics as soon as possible as well as an update after the tune. wish me luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #28

My favorite thread by far. Its awesome man i had a 3.8 99 Camaro as my first car also, Love the project. Excited to see what that bad boy dynos at. Good luck
XDietikerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDietikerX View Post
My favorite thread by far. Its awesome man i had a 3.8 99 Camaro as my first car also, Love the project. Excited to see what that bad boy dynos at. Good luck
Thanks a lot! its always great to hear the feedback, makes making the thread that much more worthwhile!

A quick update: i didnt forget to post dyno numbers, my car didnt get on the dyno as planned because wait for it... a Mustang Cobra broke down on it and wasted the dyno day! so my car is primed and ready to go and will be done first thing in the morning!

Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #30

I have to make a guess before you tell us what it dynos. Alright stock it should go about 180-200 horsepower. With what you did and as clean and strong as im sure that motor is i have to guess at atleast 235, but im gonna go with 250
Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #31

Garage
I say 225-230, anything more and you would be in grand national territory but without the turbo I say over 230 pretty unlikely but anything more then 200 is better then nothing.

Last edited by jeffp1167; 10-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #32

Garage
Talking Dyno!!!

Alright guys, once again, sorry for the long delays, not only have a i been extremely busy (i recently got hired full time + Grad school) so i havent had much down time to be able to write a post BUT... without further ado, i present you with the results. On the day of the dyno (after the mustang set me back) The Dyno Shop (proper noun, not just capital happy :P) ran a full gambit of tests and inspections to ensure the car was dyno-ready- even though they weren't responsible for it, they certainly didn't want to see it scatter or blow up. After a very long day of testing and tuning (about 4-5 hours off and on) i was given the news... the car did great and passed all of the tests etc and was now "tuned" BUT they weren't happy with it... After further diagnosis they found out that the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator was blown out and thus my car really wasn't performing at its peak. They advised me to either fix it, get it fixed or let them fix it, and they would run it again (no additional charge other than actual time on the dyno with a discount). Nevertheless, the first outcome was 211.5 hp to the wheels (which if i did the math right is right around 250-260 hp at the crank? ). Needless to say i was very happy with these numbers out of a little 3.8!

Also one cool side note... one of the REAL, original, General Lee's came in and got tuned up right next to mine! the car had a plaque along with Daisy's autograph on the dash and the owner had all the paper work with the car. As far as i understand there were about 300 or so General Lee's but to have one actually tuning along side my car was pretty awesome!

So... it took me a while but i managed to get a new psi regulator (had to go to the dealer who, at first, ordered the wrong part). Eventually i got the right part and asked my mechanic friend (same one who rebuilt the block with me) to swap them out. This was a fairly painless procedure and was done within the day (also had my lower ball joints replaced).

Now a few weeks later (took me this long to work out a good time to bring the car back in) i was able to get back on the dyno. The awesome guys at the Dyno Shop got me on, tested it and determined they could do better. After the regulator was fixed, the car was running a little lean and not quite in the right range. So with my approval, they went over the tuning again and about an hour later showed me the new numbers... i was floored...

My little 3.8 was making 221.4 hp to the wheels (which again using the same calculations as above is around 276 at the crank?)! I almost couldn't believe the numbers i was seeing and they were far better than i ever imagined! Now to be honest, i've been trying to make sense of all the different "kinds" of hp people talk about (gross, net, crank, wheels, etc.) but it has only confused me more. maybe someone here can clear that all up for me sometime but definitely see the attached charts for a reference of what my car ran (and maybe make sense of the charts for me too) i know the nuts & bolts but all these numbers just get confusing!

I will do my best to post pics/vids if i can but no guarantees there yet, just wanted to get on and make a quick update before i let the thread completely die again! sorry!

Also as a quick little shout out, if anyone in the southern California area needs an amazing full-service and dyno shop, check out The Dyno Shop in Santee (San Diego). They have amazing customer service, very good prices and they very knowledgeable. Over all i had a 5 star experience there and would highly recommend them to all friends and family with any automotive or performance needs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-16 14.55.08.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	24085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0001.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	24087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0001 (2).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24088  
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VIDEO0014.mp4 (59.38 MB, 0 views)

Old 11-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #33

Garage
Went and got some new tires today, i decided to go with the BFG G-Sport Comp-2's the next thing i am going to do is get an alignment because mine needs it badly. upadate and pics of the new tires coming hopefully tomorrow!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #34

Thats a mean 6 Cylinder. Wouldve smoked my old 99 3.8
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #35

Garage
with a bad fuel pressure regulator did you experience random misses and hard starting?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDietikerX View Post
Thats a mean 6 Cylinder. Wouldve smoked my old 99 3.8
Thanks, i definitely love the thing and am having an amazing time working on it! haha, can't wait to get it to a track sometime!

Quote:
with a bad fuel pressure regulator did you experience random misses and hard starting?
Yes, specifically the hard starting, that was a pretty big problem for me actually. I had random misses but at first it was from other issues and after the rebuild it was still there but it was the same code the cam was expected to throw (p0300) so i didn't think anything of it.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #37

Garage
so also would your fuel pressure drop fast when car shut off, also how did you get rid of the random misses for smogging?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
so also would your fuel pressure drop fast when car shut off, also how did you get rid of the random misses for smogging?
I'm not sure about the actual pressure, i dont have a pressure gauge or anything so i was never aware of the actual fuel pressure, the guys at the Dyno shop realized the diaphragm was blown out when one of their instruments had fuel on it and they looked into it further.

The random misses were not actually occurring, the new oversized cam (ZZP GT1) was throwing the expected P0300 random misfire code due to the new timing/lobe size. this was tuned out of the pcm during the dyno runs.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #39

Garage
have you smog'ed it since? I'm curious if random miss detection is tuned out if it will fail on system pretests.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
have you smog'ed it since? I'm curious if random miss detection is tuned out if it will fail on system pretests.
The car isn't due for smog for another 2 years, I had it smogged by the dealer before I bought it. However, the Dyno Shop ran an unofficial smog test at the shop where they took emissions etc. and just didn't put it into the system, according to them it passed just fine

Last edited by Jraiderz17; 11-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Tags
3.8 v6, camaro, new user, project car