My 70 Camaro Project - Page 3 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > Members Camaros and Firebirds

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 02-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Got a few more hours in today.

In between the compressor coming back to life from the air tools. I managed to accomplish a few things. I did get the driver's fender pretty much all bare metal, passenger is halfway done and the lower valance is halfway done.

Changed the broken/damaged fender on my 63k mile 95 Camaro. Got the New dash pad in as well.

Decided I would dremmel out the Camaro on my tail panel to light it up for my 95 Camaro DD with 190k miles on it, saw it, and thought it would be fun. After all, I am only going to have $20 in this project. 1 Red 12" LED Strip $3 Ebay, plexiglass piece $4 cut to length and $13 for some black primer. Got it to the point I will prime it monday/tuesday. I plan on priming the tail panel with my front fenders for my 70 camaro and the lower valance.

A little more touch up on the panel and it will be in good shape letter wise. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I can get those fenders all stripped in the morning.

Last edited by cferrel4; 02-23-2013 at 09:03 PM.
cferrel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #42

Looks good so far
reece_427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #43

Garage
Got an hour in today. Did some more sanding. Also began taking apart the 95 Z28 for painting it. Mirrors, Lenses and rear spoiler. I had purchased an aftermarket SS rear spoiler on ebay for $185. I decided to test fit it since I could.

It looks decent from a few feet away. The gaps are okay, nothing fantastic, its nice to see the edges are pointed instead of round like some of the others I have seen.

However, the best part to me, is that the trunk supports are not molded correctly at all & leave a huge gap. For the picky and anal person, this can be a problem. But for my purposes of putting it on a race car, I do not care.

In the end, I guess I would recommend this for someone who doesn't care about the gap and is making a DD/race car but wouldn't for a show car. However, for $185, its not perfect. Came with the third brake light lens and wiring.

This week I will get that tail panel primed black and hopefully get the fenders and lower valance also primed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #44

Garage
Sorry for a delayed update. I unfortunately got sick for the past week and have been unable to do work at night. Sooo... I have since got my Camaro light up rear panel primed black and will be hopefully painting it sometime this week or coming weekend depending on if the temperature will ever rise. I also primed my lower valance at the same time for the 70.

I recently got my record player into my house, (was told by my gf before that I could not have it in my own house). So I set it up. Unfortunately it was taking up to much room apparently in the corner... So I have been working on a new cabinet for it, $80 & 6 hours in it so far. Figured I would just throw it up haha. It's oak sides and going to have a cherry or Salted Maple top. I have to go buy it since its going to be a slab of 32" by 20". I should have this little detour project over with by mid week.

Pretty much just got to get a couple swinging doors set up and go get a top for it and I should be in good shape. Just needs to store some of my vinyls on the bottom, receiver in the middle and the player on top with a lamp... What I have to do to please my girl friend...

In other news, I sold that red convertible today, So now I have some money to spend on my 70 Camaro. Just in time for my birthday on the 22nd! Hopefully I will have some pictures for everyone later in the week.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #45
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I've been sick too. Hard to get stuff done when you're not feeling well. Thanks for the update!
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #46

Garage
Well today was really slow at the shop. So, Boss let me leave the 94 Camaro Z28 on the lift and we all got working on it between parts showing up and nothing else to do. We removed the Hooker Cat Back exhaust, currently in the process of putting on a Borla so this engine will flow better.

Also switched out the stock transmission for an FLT Level 3 4L60e. Also installed a Yank 3000 stall converter. After breaking the passenger bottom transmission bolt in the block and drilling it out, We successfully got that transmission in there. What a pain in the *** everything became though. The polyurethane motor mounts do not give and allow the engine to rock, so we had to unbolt the engine mounts. The long tube headers were then hitting the k-frame... And we had to cut the side ears off because otherwise the new trans would not clear due to the long tube headers. Then because the engine would not rock far enough, the driver's middle transmission to engine bolt was only 1/4 inch away from the tunnel, what a crap shoot to get that loose and then taken out one tiny turn at a time with finger tips. I have done this before, and I just wish this had regular engine mounts... so things could rock more... But here are some pictures of the new transmission and what not mounted in it. I did install an aftermarket transmission cooler up front.

Hopefully tomorrow, add fluids, finish connecting and tying up wiring and then run it through the gears. Also adding an LS1 Aluminum drive shaft to replace the stock steel one. Free up horsepower and lessen that extra bit of rotating mass.

Last edited by cferrel4; 03-19-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #47

Garage
On Friday the 22nd, I got a nice birthday present. Got the new 4L60e trans finally done and the exhaust squared away. Drove it up and down the side street, does first and second nicely. I will put up a video of how the new exhaust sounds. The borla system is #14780 on their website. Hopefully this week I will get back onto the 70 Camaro and my light up trunk panel.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #48

Garage
Here is a link to the video of it running with the new borla system at an idle. Sorry for my phone is not the best quality.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #49

Garage
I just realized I haven't posted an update in a week... So a few things have been going on. I have not gotten back onto my 1970 Camaro sadly. I have not finished my cabinet; however, I have gotten my doors mounted (and they need to be trimmed again) and I have gotten my top piece joined. I had to use 2 pieces of Spanish curly cedar. So that project is also going.

I am currently repainting the hood for my old 1995 Black Convertible Z28. Apparently because "his girlfriend forgot to take off her belt". This job has taken priority since the car will be coming out of storage in a couple of weeks more than likely and its already been paid for. Just now its warm enough to paint again in upstate NY.

I also picked up this 2001 Camaro RS for $900 that I am parting out. Already made $615 back on it, should get around $1400 to $1700 in the end for all the parts according to my calculations. So I have begun disassembling it, down to just the interior carpet, dash, doors, engine & transmission to be taken out. Basically one more night and I should be done. Gotta make money to feed the 70 Camaro. Here is a picture of this jewel when I got it, it just said to me "I'm tired and beat."

In other exciting news, that 95 Camaro with the new borla exhaust and trans, I have sent the computer off to get tuned by PCMforless.com. Hopefully I get it back by april 20th, since that is opening weekend at our drag track and I really want to see how fast it goes!

Lastly I discovered/found my father's old 68 Z28 a couple miles from my new house. I was riding with a friend in his GTO and saw this car's tarp blown off of it from winter. Walked up, guy wasn't home, grabbed the vin and a couple pictures. Checked with my dad and its his old car. Here is a couple pictures. I think I'm going to stop and see if the guy will sell it. Apparently its been sitting for 15 or so years... I know the engine was switched to a 383, 4 speed car, and the rear end has 4.56 gears.

Sadly that 68 is in rough shape, but if I could get it running, sure would fun. My brother cried when my father sold it. Maybe I will have to have my brother inquire about it for an emotional tug.

I guess I will just keep posting some pictures and things as I get working on them. Girlfriend only wants me working a couple nights a week on toys so I can spend more time with her... We'll see how long that lasts.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #50
The "other" FI Bird

Garage
Do you go to ny international raceway?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbins View Post
Do you go to ny international raceway?
Sure do, that is where I am planning on being saturday or sunday this coming weekend. Saturday the 20th is supposedly opening day and swap meet.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #52
The "other" FI Bird

Garage
I thought that was the weekend after? I'll have to look at my schedule again. Which car do you race there?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
I thought that was the weekend after? I'll have to look at my schedule again. Which car do you race there?
Its supposed to open this weekend the 20th and 21st unless it is rained out. I keep checking the site to make sure. But we've had a lot of rain...

Last year I brought my 2002 Firebird Formula. This year I'm going to race my 95 Camaro Z28. I may have to bring the firebird on opening weekend though if I don't get my PCM back in time.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #54
The "other" FI Bird

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrel4 View Post

Its supposed to open this weekend the 20th and 21st unless it is rained out. I keep checking the site to make sure. But we've had a lot of rain...

Last year I brought my 2002 Firebird Formula. This year I'm going to race my 95 Camaro Z28. I may have to bring the firebird on opening weekend though if I don't get my PCM back in time.
Nice. I might have to come out this weekend then if the weathers nice.
I only got out there once last year
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #55

Garage
Last year I just went on friday nights test and tune. I would like to do the saturday/sunday races this year too though. I just go and enjoy myself, then drive my car home
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #56

Garage
Been busy with the girl friends Graduation, working on that damn cabinet, opened the pool and a lot of busy work at the shop.

Took my 02 Firebird to the track once for test and tune night. Ran a 13.4 @ 104 mph with 22lbs of air in the tires. Drove it home.

This friday I will be taking my 95 Camaro that is black/grey with the cammed LT1 now that PCMforless finally got me a working computer after sending the one I sent in out to someone else after reprogramming it...

Friday should be a good day. This weekend I should get that cabinet done and back onto the toys.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #57

Garage
Took the black car to the track, added a fiberglass ram air hood for looks & 16" SLP rims with old P255/50r16 E/T streets on them. The ram air intake will not fit though due to my strut tower bar. O'well. I bought it for $200 with the intake box, maf and elbow. Been told my Moroso in it works better than the ram air though by multiple people.

I ran a 12.6 @ 110 mph, where as my girlfriend ran a 12.8 @109mph. I will post up a picture or 2 of our time slips. Here is her in the car at the staging lanes. She ran 7 times and I ran 4. And yes, that saturn vue was there running. The woman driving it always had a r/t in the .500's. Very good at the lights.

We plan on going back to the drag strip friday night for Test and Tune. She told me she is addicted & needs her own helmet.

I managed to get my cabinet for my records finished, looks nice.

Going to paint my Camaro tail panel for my light up mod this weekend, needs to get done, been to long. Also got a new sander so I can do my door jams and edges on my 70 Camaro.

Also: I sold my 63k mile 1995 Camaro Z28 for $3000. Got some money to use towards this project... if I don't buy another car in the meantime.

Lastly: Here's a picture from yesterday in front of the family Garage at 8:30am, was a good day.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #58
The "other" FI Bird

Garage
I literally live and work right down the road from your shop. I'd love to come down and check out your projects sometime
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #59
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Awesome !! Excellent run times !!

Nice cabinet for the "old school" LP's AND Scott receiver..... That is definitely "back in the day". Be careful the receiver don't over heat in that cabinet tho :-)

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #60

Garage
Quote:
I literally live and work right down the road from your shop. I'd love to come down and check out your projects sometime
Tomorrow night a bunch of us are going to NYIRP to drag at test and tune. I keep all my cars at my warehouse right by East High School, that shop is where I make my living. I am surprised, I don't remember seeing a green trans am around to frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercmann View Post
Awesome !! Excellent run times !!

Nice cabinet for the "old school" LP's AND Scott receiver..... That is definitely "back in the day". Be careful the receiver don't over heat in that cabinet tho :-)
That Scott reciever is a good one. Good thing its only on for 30 to 40 minutes at a time. Otherwise, I would have an overheating issue.