Ryan Hardy's 1997 Camaro Z28 Thread - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > Members Camaros and Firebirds

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Ryan Hardy's 1997 Camaro Z28 Thread

So I figured after having my car for close to a year it may be appropriate to create a build thread for it as I get some more upgrade money. I don't plan on doing any major mods currently as I'm a broke college student that's not mechanically inclined in anyway. So here's the deal. I worked and saved for 3 years and then bought it last April for 5k, its got 173k miles, and "supposedly" had the engine rebuilt at 100k miles. The cars from Tennessee, and I drove all the way there, and drove the car the whole way back. During my course of ownership I really haven't done anything major performance wise. It was in need of some aesthetic love when I got it, and it definitely received it! Here's everything that I've done to the car, new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing, slave, and clutch master cylinder. It's also gotten a new water pump, alternator, cap and rotor, and a Hurst short throw shifter. The things it already has on it, are an LT4 hot cam, and intake. Lifters, Pacesetter headers, a diablo tune, CAI, and a complete custom 3" exhaust out of a magnaflow resonator. That's really all I've had/ know of being done to it. Future plans, are a tune up, plugs and wire, plus changing all of the fluids, and a new optispark. I've already got brand new ceramic brake pads, and drilled and slotted rotors waiting to go on in the spring! Other than that, just little by little visual upgrades just for the little details. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the in cabin speakers, and maybe a 10" stealth sub, get a new paint job, and have it actually dynoed and tuned, as I have no idea how much HP it has at the rear wheels. I just figured it was time to make this as I'm getting a little more in my upgrade fund, and it'd be a nice place for me to put all of my questions etc. instead of making a new thread each time. There's albums on my profile, and in my garage, so let me know what you guys think!
August 2013 Car Of The Month
1997 30th anniversary BBM Camaro Z28/SS (clone)
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f14/...thread-185395/
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #2

Garage
I like it! Just remember unless you're super rich it will always be a project, so stay patient as you have. My next maro will be a fourth gen as I feel they have the most potential. Will keep second too though bc you don't ever see them on road.
My 1978 Base Model SBC Camaro.
Flex trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Shit even if you have money it will still always be a project. Once you start a project it's never done. There's always something else to do or improve.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged... changing
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: Sold, bought it back still stock.
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 T/A View Post
Shit even if you have money it will still always be a project. Once you start a project it's never done. There's always something else to do or improve.
Quoted for truth....

Ryan - post pics...too lazy to dig through albums.

OVRKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex trainer View Post
I like it! Just remember unless you're super rich it will always be a project, so stay patient as you have. My next maro will be a fourth gen as I feel they have the most potential. Will keep second too though bc you don't ever see them on road.
Quote:
believe me i know! there's always something! one thing after another! or one thing that just "isn't right"
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
While i dont disagree i have a friend worth $50m that bought a viper first year they came out. Spent about $20k right off the bat and didnt touch again till he sold it. That being said i am not super rich so mine are never done my friend never touhes his. Makes em 7-800hp off bat and just drives them.
My 1978 Base Model SBC Camaro.
Flex trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Garage
it's only letting me do 5 pictures at a time, so that's what i have for now! I've got about 30 photos that I'll eventually end up uploading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5177.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	24209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	24210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5197.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	24211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5198.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	24212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5202.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24213  

LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Last edited by Ryanhardy; 11-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Garage
So just a little update, cars currently been in the garage since around the beginning of November, slowly waxing and detailing it when I have free moments of no work or HW. I found out after letting it run for a little while, that the oil leak that was supposed to be fixed, actually isn't. I had a piece of cardboard on it, and it has fresh oil on it after each time I start it. Second, I noticed I have some lifter noise, and if you put a screwdriver over certain bolts on the valve covers, you can tell which one is actually making the noise. Anyone have any info on what to do? I thought there was a thread a while back that you could just put an additive in your oil and it fix em? I couldn't find the thread though. If i were to replace em, what all would that entail? Just lifters? or are there parts that you should replace in groups? lastly, the mechanic i used that was supposed to replace my optispark decided not to tell me about anything, and instead went to a chevy dealership and bought a $343 AC Delco cap and rotor. So, moral of the story is I'm out a lot of my hard earned money, and still my misfire persists, and I'm still leaking oil. I bought new NGK plugs, and MSD wires, and still plan on doing the optispark. I found an MSD optispark from a guy in Maryland who seems really actually honest and pretty cool. He bought it and used it for 300 miles, and then cracked a head, so he's LS swapping and selling his LTx parts and this is one of them. It looks to be pretty much new! he has it listed for $350, but I plan on knocking him down a little. So, rant over. Any advice on the lifters, and/or if i should trust this guy and buy the opti?
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Garage
Was it hit or something? (front end different)
jeffp1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp1167 View Post
Was it hit or something? (front end different)
nope, just a conversion to the LS style front end since it looks 10x better than the 93-97
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanhardy View Post
nope, just a conversion to the LS style front end since it looks 10x better than the 93-97
i beg to differ

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
i beg to differ
oh no you didn't!!!
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Back in november of 1997 I put in a order for a navy blue color with grey leather 98 after the dealer said it would look identical to a 97. The saw the difference and cancelled my order.

The dealership then did a california search for 97 and they found a arctic white one with grey cloth with all the options I wanted.

The new front end has grown on me since but really didn't like it after seeing 93-97's prior to ordering.

Nice car though will be watching your progress
jeffp1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Addicted Member

Garage
Quote:
oh no you didn't!!!
yes I did!

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #15

Garage
Get a can of BG MOA oil treatment. I can either give it to you since your local or pick one up at a store. I have had some success with mild cases of lifter noise and engine noise in it. You could just be low enough on oil though.

MSD Opti sounds pretty cool! They are much beefer than the stock. I think I may still have a MSD Coil , going to have check my shelves.
cferrel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #16
The "other" FI Bird

Garage
Quote:

Ew no. An ls swap is okay on early 4th gen camaros. Not a front clip swap though
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
yes I did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbins View Post
Ew no. An ls swap is okay on early 4th gen camaros. Not a front clip swap though
hahaha if only I had the money for an LS... although I think it'd be cool to go for the 8K redline turboed LTx.... could be fun If I had to have an early 4th gen it'd have to be black, otherwise I just couldn't do it! Same thing with firebirds/TA I really only like the 98+... I'm in love with meatys although after seeing yours in person Jeff, it's growing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrel4 View Post
Get a can of BG MOA oil treatment. I can either give it to you since your local or pick one up at a store. I have had some success with mild cases of lifter noise and engine noise in it. You could just be low enough on oil though.

MSD Opti sounds pretty cool! They are much beefer than the stock. I think I may still have a MSD Coil , going to have check my shelves.
if I do get it, I'll definitely contact you in the spring about maybe doin the work? I've been screwed multiple times by the mechanic i was using, lost a lot of money, and the way I see it, is even though I bought a chilton I don't think I'd be ready/ willing to risk a mistake when replacing the opti, so why not have a fellow member/ rochestarian benefit?! if you're up for it that is!

Edit: oh and I'll definitely have to check out the BG stuff. I know a few family friends with some pretty serious cars (63 split window lingenfelter, 64 impala with a lingenfelter, 93 viper, 34 dodge street rod etc. etc.) that absolutely swear by it! So far all I've used from them is their fuel injector cleaner after I ran out of gas on accident once. I replaced the filter, and threw some of that in just to make sure no gunk got in from the bottom of the tank
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Last edited by Ryanhardy; 12-11-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: double post
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #18

Garage
I am up for putting in an opti-spark. I don't think its that bad of job, just can be time consuming. If you want to pay the shop to do it, thats cool too, or if you want a hand with it, I could do that too.

My father and several of the engine/machine shops around also swear by it. My father once took a early 90's cadillac that he put the BG MOA in it every oil change and drained the oil and ran it till it quit. (This was a customer's car that was getting junked.) This took about 10 minutes actually. He then took it apart. Found the lifters collapsed. Installed a used set of lifters. Damn thing started back up and went to the junk yard as a running and driving machine. After that, pretty much the only thing my father uses.
cferrel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
I'll be in NY next week visiting my GFs family. If you clowns need help changing an opti.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged... changing
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: Sold, bought it back still stock.
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
I'll be in NY next week visiting my GFs family. If you clowns need help changing an opti.
awh I don't have it yet! Plus, my cars in the garage, and there's zero space there to change it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferrel4 View Post
I am up for putting in an opti-spark. I don't think its that bad of job, just can be time consuming. If you want to pay the shop to do it, thats cool too, or if you want a hand with it, I could do that too. My father and several of the engine/machine shops around also swear by it. My father once took a early 90's cadillac that he put the BG MOA in it every oil change and drained the oil and ran it till it quit. (This was a customer's car that was getting junked.) This took about 10 minutes actually. He then took it apart. Found the lifters collapsed. Installed a used set of lifters. Damn thing started back up and went to the junk yard as a running and driving machine. After that, pretty much the only thing my father uses.
yea I heard that the company actually did a test and got a motor to run 30 minutes without oil. I'll have to look into how I want to go about this, cause I work a ton so I really don't have time, but at the same time I'd like to learn how to do these things and that's probably the best option to start that. I'm also afraid of screwing something up and costing myself more money
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

Last edited by Ryanhardy; 12-12-2013 at 12:40 AM.