94z28 won't start - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 06-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

94z28 won't start

Is there any way doing a head gasket could affect timing? To start off, when we went to start car the first time I ended up getting hydro locked. Diaphragm in fuel regulator went bad and was dumping fuel through the manifold from the vacuum. Removed plugs and got all fuel out of cylinders then replaced plugs. I now have strong spark on each wire. Pulled injectors and have good fuel, and I have air. Checked the timing on #1 with a timing light and that looks good as well. The car will crank all day but doesn't try to fire. Every once in awhile I will get a loud backfire. I've ran fine since replacing to a new msd opti and haven't touched it since. Also checked all fuses and grounds and don't think I'm missing anything. Next step is to test compression but I'm very comfortable with setting it to zero lash and turns nice and easy. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
skyman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

The only thing that has changed ignition wise is the coil and icm because they were stolen. Had icm tested and was told it's good but don't know if it's truly sending the right signals

Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman44 View Post
Is there any way doing a head gasket could affect timing? To start off, when we went to start car the first time I ended up getting hydro locked. Diaphragm in fuel regulator went bad and was dumping fuel through the manifold from the vacuum. Removed plugs and got all fuel out of cylinders then replaced plugs. I now have strong spark on each wire. Pulled injectors and have good fuel, and I have air. Checked the timing on #1 with a timing light and that looks good as well. The car will crank all day but doesn't try to fire. Every once in awhile I will get a loud backfire. I've ran fine since replacing to a new msd opti and haven't touched it since. Also checked all fuses and grounds and don't think I'm missing anything. Next step is to test compression but I'm very comfortable with setting it to zero lash and turns nice and easy. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance

No, replacing the head gasket will not cause the timing to go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman44 View Post
The only thing that has changed ignition wise is the coil and icm because they were stolen. Had icm tested and was told it's good but don't know if it's truly sending the right signals

Was the ICM tested multiple of times to guarantee it heats up?

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercsaudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercmann View Post
No, replacing the head gasket will not cause the timing to go out.

Was the ICM tested multiple of times to guarantee it heats up?
it will if you have leftover pushrods when you're done.

it almost sounds like you've got a valve issue. What did your compression test show?

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #5

yes the icm was tested multiple times for heat. Maybe the two things I threw away were push rods 😉 I have not had the time to test the compression yet I will get back to you guys.