94z28 won't start - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skyman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 69
Thanks: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
94z28 won't start

Is there any way doing a head gasket could affect timing? To start off, when we went to start car the first time I ended up getting hydro locked. Diaphragm in fuel regulator went bad and was dumping fuel through the manifold from the vacuum. Removed plugs and got all fuel out of cylinders then replaced plugs. I now have strong spark on each wire. Pulled injectors and have good fuel, and I have air. Checked the timing on #1 with a timing light and that looks good as well. The car will crank all day but doesn't try to fire. Every once in awhile I will get a loud backfire. I've ran fine since replacing to a new msd opti and haven't touched it since. Also checked all fuses and grounds and don't think I'm missing anything. Next step is to test compression but I'm very comfortable with setting it to zero lash and turns nice and easy. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance


Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
skyman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Junior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skyman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 69
Thanks: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing that has changed ignition wise is the coil and icm because they were stolen. Had icm tested and was told it's good but don't know if it's truly sending the right signals


Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
skyman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Ercmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Okaloosa, Florida
Posts: 11,466
Thanks: 48
Thanked 675 Times in 617 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman44 View Post
Is there any way doing a head gasket could affect timing? To start off, when we went to start car the first time I ended up getting hydro locked. Diaphragm in fuel regulator went bad and was dumping fuel through the manifold from the vacuum. Removed plugs and got all fuel out of cylinders then replaced plugs. I now have strong spark on each wire. Pulled injectors and have good fuel, and I have air. Checked the timing on #1 with a timing light and that looks good as well. The car will crank all day but doesn't try to fire. Every once in awhile I will get a loud backfire. I've ran fine since replacing to a new msd opti and haven't touched it since. Also checked all fuses and grounds and don't think I'm missing anything. Next step is to test compression but I'm very comfortable with setting it to zero lash and turns nice and easy. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance


Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
No, replacing the head gasket will not cause the timing to go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman44 View Post
The only thing that has changed ignition wise is the coil and icm because they were stolen. Had icm tested and was told it's good but don't know if it's truly sending the right signals


Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
Was the ICM tested multiple of times to guarantee it heats up?
__________________

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercsaudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
96firephoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,674
Thanks: 58
Thanked 131 Times in 119 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 96firephoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercmann View Post
No, replacing the head gasket will not cause the timing to go out.

Was the ICM tested multiple of times to guarantee it heats up?
it will if you have leftover pushrods when you're done.

it almost sounds like you've got a valve issue. What did your compression test show?
__________________

A.J.
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5 swap RIP 3-31-11
It lives on: Engine and trans from ^ are now in v
1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, T5
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #5
Junior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skyman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 69
Thanks: 11
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes the icm was tested multiple times for heat. Maybe the two things I threw away were push rods 😉 I have not had the time to test the compression yet I will get back to you guys.
skyman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Won't start RJ1994 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech 6 09-04-2016 02:18 PM
Won't start chet1185 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech 10 06-15-2015 11:27 AM
Won't start please help southwoodcustoms316 3rd Gen (1982-92) Camaro and Firebird Tech 20 03-18-2014 12:08 AM
94 won't start Sicmaggot 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech 37 11-28-2011 03:40 PM
SS won't start now yachtnutz 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech 9 09-21-2009 05:34 PM


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © CamaroZone.com

CamaroZone.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by General Motors or Chevrolet.