Blowing Bulbs - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 06-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
ZFL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Blowing Bulbs

A few weeks ago one of my front turn/running lights burned out I had several 3051's so put one in instead of 3151 which is what's supposed to go there. A week and half to 2 weeks later it burned out put another 3051 again couple of weeks or so burned out. Does that slightly less resistance in 3151 to make brighter running light make that much difference? It is blowing them hard frosting bulbs.
ZFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFL View Post
A few weeks ago one of my front turn/running lights burned out I had several 3051's so put one in instead of 3151 which is what's supposed to go there. A week and half to 2 weeks later it burned out put another 3051 again couple of weeks or so burned out. Does that slightly less resistance in 3151 to make brighter running light make that much difference? It is blowing them hard frosting bulbs.
Check the connector (plug)….. any signs of also being burned? If so, replace the connector (plug) with a new one and make sure to coat inside of the plug (terminals) with dielectric grease. Also, is moisture getting in the housing? If so, this could cause the burning issue. The housing "must" be completely sealed, water/air tight to prevent moisture.

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercsaudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27/...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
ZFL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Had a rear go out because of water (the back up lens separating thing) had to replace socket because bulb rusted in. Have seen water causing it in many other kind of cars too. I found cause of my front failures I think, noticed all burned bulbs had circular cracks, noticed when installing felt like wasn't locking in right, I assume because you have to reach up in there blind and put in by feel has been wallowed out allowing bulb to vibrate. Put this one in as tight as possible will see if it lasts, if not then will try wrapping a little tape around bulb socket to wedge in tight. Replacement housing is cheap but have to remove so much to get to it will be my last resort. I'm in central FL you better bet I always use dielectric grease on bulbs. A link for people looking for 93-97 1/2 Camaro rear turn signal socket. https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f15...55/#post681153

Last edited by ZFL; 06-26-2019 at 08:06 PM.
ZFL is offline   Reply With Quote