Both Fog Lights Out - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Both Fog Lights Out

A couple weeks ago both of my fog lights appear to have gone out at the same time. Without checking the bulbs (yet) I assumed a fuse blew or something. So far I have checked the 15A fuse as well as the fog light relay under the hood. Both appear tob e working, as swapping them out for another one didn't do anything.

I may have to trace the wires all the way and see if something is shorted out or what, but what's the next thing I can check? These are not the factory original lights, but I wired the aftermarket ones into the old wires so they are wired exactly the same. The switch still illuminates in side, as well, just no lights.

I'll be checking the bulbs, and the wire connections directly behind them, but both bulbs going dead at the same time seems weird without a fuse blowing from some power surge.
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

Garage
Found a useful thread for troubleshooting. I've done some of this but not all. Also, they never found a solution (hence why I'm asking the question...) Our cause may be different, but both involve both lights being out.

https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/fog-lights-174213/
Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Garage
Check the bulbs next. Its unlikely that they went out at the same time, but could easily happen.

Sent from my LGL41C using Camaro Zone mobile app

98 z28 artic white. ls1, auto, free mods, slp lid, ¡egr, ¡air, ls6 intake manifold, walbro 255lph fuel pump, ceramic coated pacesetter longtube headers, pacesetter ory, magnaflow catback, 4.10:1 gears. 9.03 1/8th mile with factory 2.73s and 30psi fuel pressure.

02 firebird sunset orange metallic. v6, auto, slp lid, zzp tubing, port matched upper and lower intake manifolds.

98 z28 build thread.
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f14/...-build-182636/
94z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Garage
I had 2 break lights go out at 1 time . I thought the same as you but I already had extra bulbs and checked that first. Haven't had a problem since. Happened 2 years ago 2 years ago .
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Korndogg
My guess would be the relay

Korndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
My guess would be the relay
I tried swapping relays, and they didn't work still, so no change there.

Didn't get a chance to check the bulbs last night due to having to return another vehicle to a friend, but hopefully it's that simple. I now have another issue I have to deal with now - my turn signal clicker broke! Don't want to get this thread off-topic though, just saying, I'll have to fix that too. (I think 'Emily' knows my truck is about to get her new engine and is getting jealous, lol.)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

Garage
Burnt. Out.

Yep. Well, one of them was at least. I checked as soon as I got home today, and strangely, the left light started working. The right side was clearly burnt because part of the filament was shaking around inside the bulb. I'll replace both, and then I need to just check the wiring, maybe one of the wires rubbed through from road vibrations (freak chance) or my duct tape job is finally wearing down. Sheesh, I installed these like 10 years ago when I was in college, and having freshly moved from Missouri I was still one of those "duct tape fixes everything" guys. I had some crazy ideas back then. Still do sometimes...