Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News (https://www.camarozone.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech (https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   Changing rear speakers (https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f15/changing-rear-speakers-174923/)

Covert 909 10-06-2011 09:42 PM

Changing rear speakers

Stupid question but how do you get off the back seat plastic grill things to get to the speakers without breaking them. And while you're at it the front ones to. And I have a mtx 800w amp I'd like to hook up to the regular speakers. Is that a good move and where should I put it and how do I connect it?

Nick V. 10-06-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covert 909 (Post 371177)
Stupid question but how do you get off the back seat plastic grill things to get to the speakers without breaking them. And while you're at it the front ones to. And I have a mtx 800w amp I'd like to hook up to the regular speakers. Is that a good move and where should I put it and how do I connect it?

i dont have the answer but dont feel stupid. I cant even get the front off w/o breaking them

99camarogirl 10-06-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covert 909

Mine for lack of a better word mine pop off on the sides and to connect it I'm not sure

CincyBird98 10-06-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covert 909 (Post 371177)

The ones by the back seat just pop off. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The front speakers require the door panel to come off to access them. As for the amp question...no not a good idea. Stock speakers are only made to handle the 500 watt monsoon amp and even then they still blow all the time. That's if your car was even equipped with the monsoon system.

Covert 909 10-07-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick V. (Post 371180)
i dont have the answer but dont feel stupid. I cant even get the front off w/o breaking them

Thanks.

As far as the amp goes I just ordered some new pioneer 300w 3 way speakers for the front doors, I have no idea if I have the monsoon system cuz the person I bought the car from had a good system but took out the door speakers and put some 4 inch polk ones held on by 2 screws so it's time for an upgrade and I feel my amp would be beyer than the stock.

I also have 2 kicker 10's in the upper section of the trunk facing inside for less rattle of the lights etc. and a 1000w amp to power those. My small amp wild be for the highs and mis on the regular speakers. where is the original located?

phantomknight321 10-07-2011 01:23 AM

well, the only issue with the amp is it powers all speakers in the car, if you have it.

only way it would make sense to get the amp replaced is if you replace the 6.5s in the back seats and the 4s in the hatch as well as your front doors.

Unless you dont have the monsoon, in which case as long as all your speakers are aftermarket and you have an aftermarket head unit then it should be no problem

Covert 909 10-07-2011 01:58 AM

The head unit isn't stock and I'm switching out the door speakers as soon as they get delivered. And I can pretty much guarantee the rear ones aren't stock but I'm not positive. And where are these 4 inch ones?

phantomknight321 10-07-2011 02:15 AM

IF you have the monsoon system then they should be behind the rear seats, on the left and right side of the hatch.

If you dont have those then you dont have to worry about it, and if you dont have those then it didnt have the monsoon from the factory.

http://www.mp3car.com/attachments/sh...whord-rear.jpg

see the ones on the left and right of the trunk? those are 4s stock

Covert 909 10-07-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomknight321 (Post 371238)
IF you have the monsoon system then they should be behind the rear seats, on the left and right side of the hatch.

If you dont have those then you dont have to worry about it, and if you dont have those then it didnt have the monsoon from the factory.

http://www.mp3car.com/attachments/sh...whord-rear.jpg

see the ones on the left and right of the trunk? those are 4s stock

Ok yea I dont have those but what is that at the base of the picture? I just have a lower hole there.

phantomknight321 10-07-2011 02:42 AM

its a custom sub box im assuming, its aftermarket

looks like 2 12s to me

Covert 909 10-07-2011 02:54 AM

Thats so cool.

So since I dont have the monsoon setup it seems does that mean I dont have a stock amp? Where would it be so I can look.

phantomknight321 10-07-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covert 909 (Post 371243)
Thats so cool.

So since I dont have the monsoon setup it seems does that mean I dont have a stock amp? Where would it be so I can look.

it would normally be located behind a plastic plate in the fender well behind the spare

and that pic came from google lol, if i didnt have t-tops i would so get that kind of setup

Covert 909 10-07-2011 03:34 AM

So are you saying I dont have one though? Do I access from inside or outside the car? Driver or passenger side?

phantomknight321 10-07-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covert 909 (Post 371253)
So are you saying I dont have one though? Do I access from inside or outside the car? Driver or passenger side?

nope, dont have one, though it might work if you wanna mount an amp there or something. Access from the inside, where your spare tire goes, which is on the right side of the hatch, beside the trunk hole at the back. Should be a plastic plate, behind it is where the amp WOULD go on a monsoon, but since you dont have it, idk if there will even be a plate.

Covert 909 10-07-2011 03:40 AM

Ok so if I wanna put my amp in i'll put it there. Wonder if theres room for my big amp cuz i'd like to hide it.

phantomknight321 10-07-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covert 909 (Post 371256)
Ok so if I wanna put my amp in i'll put it there. Wonder if theres room for my big amp cuz i'd like to hide it.

might be, just check it out. Pretty much anywhere behind that plastic side that comes off should be enough room, so check it out and be creative :D

Covert 909 10-07-2011 03:54 AM

I just dont want it rattling around. There wouldn't be a spot to secure it to

floorit 10-07-2011 09:54 PM

you could set up a piece of plywood or something to mount the amp to and attach that to the monsoons mounting points. Thats what I'm planning on doing at the moment anyways :D

Covert 909 10-07-2011 10:38 PM

Oh yea I could do that but daaaaamn does it sound like a b**** to move all my wires around and everything. And I dont think I have the monsoon mounts

Covert 909 10-19-2011 06:20 PM

Only bumping this because it's relevant again. I took off the rear covers and just need to know if there are supposed to be bezels back there cuz just like in front the speakers are screwed right to the metal. Thanks

Covert's 97 3.8 v6