Engine swap 97 z28 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-21-2019, 04:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Engine swap 97 z28

Alright y'all, so I've come to a point where I know my current engine is pretty tired at around 200k miles, and I'd really like to get some more power (currently about 340 rwhp, and would like to end in the 5-600 range) trying to decide what way to go from here as far as an engine swap goes, and I have 3 different options currently.

1. Buy an LS1 for cheap, build it back up and throw it in the car after some tasteful mods. This is the one I'm most concerned about, as the car came with an LT1, and I'm unsure on how much would have to change to get an LS in it, or to get it to the power level I want

2. A guy local to me has a decently built LT1. 1997 2 bolt main block with 1995 Lloyd Elliot LE2 Ported Heads/custom cam. Cam is a 235/243 .579/.597 110lsa
Block was tanked/blasted/bored/honed at McQuillens in Leroy, still have the receipt. Bottom end is a scat 4340 forged 383 crank with 6" compstar rods and forged aluminum 16cc dished Mahle pistons. Rings were never gapped for nitrous.
Heads were milled .020" when ported, and 3 layer metal head gaskets bring compression to 11:1. Ls7 lifters and chromolly pushrods. Self aligning 1.6r roller tip rockers. Still has stock intake and throttle body and needs a tune so there is plenty of power left on the table for a N/A setup.

the only thing I would really change to this is adding a torqhead setup. He's looking to get around 3k for this motor, but seems like he could be moved some.

3. This guy lives in canada fairly far away, but nothing awful. He wants about 5k for this motor, it has 24x conversion, but it'll need an intake, damper, and was on a twin turbo setup. Mine is a built 357ci, converted to 24x and 9:1 compression. It has a custom LJMS cam for a single turbo but it'll work with a blower also. It has AI TFS 215cc heads, forged crank, Lunati pro-mod rods, Diamond pistons, splayed 4-bolt mains, ARP everywhere, etc...

maybe you guys can help me make a decision here. The 5k price tag is a little more than I'm looking to spend, but im not opposed to it! thanks in advance for your help guys!
August 2013 Car Of The Month
1997 30th anniversary BBM Camaro Z28/SS (clone)
LT1, T-56 340 RWHP
LS1 front end swap

*Daily Driven*

https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f14/...thread-185395/
Ryanhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
What’s up man ??? Been along time !!
I would stick with the LT1. An LS1 swap is doable.... but requires a lot of work and $$$. Asking 600 hp form an LT1 is asking a lot, Naturally aspirated. Heck, that’s asking a lot from an LS1. Especially doing it reliably. A stroked and built LS1 can get you in the ballpark. ...... but, this would also require the expense of “the LS1 swap”. May want to go with a power adder. Although those aren’t cheap either.

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote