I'll have two motor mounts with that oil change! - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
I'll have two motor mounts with that oil change!

Oil change day today: 182,866 miles and still shaking and rolling. While I'm at it, my motor mounts are in need of replacement. I've been having to throw it in neutral (automatic) at stoplights because it shakes so bad when the idle goes down with the brakes holding it, so after looking at the rubber and seeing that it's cracked/worn I figure I'll just replace them this weekend.

Currently jacking up the car and looking for a place to hook onto the engine with a cherry picker. Anyone happen to have a good spot on a 3.4?

I'll get a before & after pic and post an update later.
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoaRyan View Post
Oil change day today: 182,866 miles and still shaking and rolling. While I'm at it, my motor mounts are in need of replacement. I've been having to throw it in neutral (automatic) at stoplights because it shakes so bad when the idle goes down with the brakes holding it, so after looking at the rubber and seeing that it's cracked/worn I figure I'll just replace them this weekend.

Currently jacking up the car and looking for a place to hook onto the engine with a cherry picker. Anyone happen to have a good spot on a 3.4?

You can always jack it up from the bottom.

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercmann View Post
You can always jack it up from the bottom.
I was thinking about mentioning that method but wasn't sure how many other people would recommend it either..
cjlorenz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

Garage
I may give that a try first, less pain definitely. I just worry about denting the oil pan or something, but I'm using a 1x4 block of wood about 10" long, so it spreads out pretty well. I'll see if I can get to the driver's side bolts and loosen it.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
CZ Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlorenz81 View Post
I was thinking about mentioning that method but wasn't sure how many other people would recommend it either..
Quote:
I may give that a try first, less pain definitely. I just worry about denting the oil pan or something, but I'm using a 1x4 block of wood about 10" long, so it spreads out pretty well. I'll see if I can get to the driver's side bolts and loosen it.
Yes, jack placement is definitely something you will need to think about, just make sure you use a spot that will not break or dent anything.

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Garage
If you don't have a cherry picker but 2 bottle jacks, some wood, chain and a tough pipe, you can lift like this...

Bottle jacks had planks of wood between their point of contact and the motor mounts.

Sent from my XT1060 using Camaro Zone mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459024215153.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	34376   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459024227305.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	34377  
SergheiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
The "Senior" Member

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,092 Posts
Garage
Quote:

Tranny mount is probably bad also.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 217k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles. Total repaint 193k Miles
26PPH injectors.
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #8

Garage
Current status: had some trouble getting angles & combinations of extensions to get at all the bolts, no major issues just time consuming so I took breaks. i'm taking one of those breaks right now and then I need to get the center hole to line up better - can't get the long bolt through. Hopefully after my arms rest I'll be able to make it happen then call it a night.

The passenger side will be a little more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
Tranny mount is probably bad also.
Yeah I just got a look at it, and it's still intact but definitely bad, deformed. So that'll be next!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergheiS View Post
If you don't have a cherry picker but 2 bottle jacks, some wood, chain and a tough pipe, you can lift like this...

Bottle jacks had planks of wood between their point of contact and the motor mounts.
Wow, now THAT's some determination, lol! I've had to invent a few contraptions over the years, especially with my truck project. Sometimes you've just got to find a way to make things work!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Garage
Sheesh! Finally I got that bolt through there, had to poke the hole with a stick.. er, a metal stick. It looks like a QC failure at the factory that makes these, but whatever, I'm good on the driver's side now. This is what was stuck inside preventing me from pushing the bolt through (EDIT - don't have that pic yet but here's something else, a bolt that was rattling around after somehow getting stuck between the clamshell and the mounting arm:

I cleaned up and went for a test drive (last night). Even with just one new mount the difference is substantial, I can't wait to get the other side. Sitting at a stoplight has gone from a micro- chair massage to almost smooth, and it just feels smoother overall accelerating. You may be able to tell from my excitement this is the first time I've changed a motor mount.

Last edited by FoaRyan; 03-27-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Image description
Old 03-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #11

Garage
Here's what was stuck inside.