New guy with 95 camaro 3.4 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1993-97) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 12-27-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

New guy with 95 camaro 3.4

Hello all. New guy here!
So I just picked up a 95 camaro with a 3.4 5 speed.
Seems like a good car. Its very stright and clean. Less then 70k miles.... one owner.
Hood paints faded - small ding at the lr brake light panel. Starts - runs and drives!
I picked it up for 700$
The only issue with the car is - the water pump weeping.....
Just to be safe I ran a complete Diag on the engine - leak down looked perfect - compression kinda high but all within 90 percent of each other - block/headgasket test appeared normal...

So I got ideas running lose in my mind.....
A few years ago I built a 03 3.8 mustang - cam - skat crank - Dome pistons - heads - long tube headers - cat and egr delete - 373 locker rear end.... kinda went over bored - end up in deep 12 sec territory n/a.

I'm not wanting to go crazy hear but I would like to pick up a few horses...
I was thinking that since half the front of the engine has the br pulled - maybe I should do a cam install with some roller rockers and long tube headers......

So before I dive off into this.
Anyone ever done a cam swap with the engine in the car?

I know dyno tuning is best for best results but are there hand held tuners for these cars? What's my options ?

Also will the car run on the stock ecm? The mustang did but evently I had a hand held tune programed for the new cam - sct....

Anything I should know about these cars? Anything there prone to doing (like cracking heads or such)

I don't wanna do a ls or LT swap at this time. I'm just looking to make a good rumble.

Are there any special tools I'll need? Harmonic balancer puller - puller for the power steering?

Thanks guy!
LeanNboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Honestly Id change the waterpump and leave it alone. The 3.4 is not a power maker, its great for daily driving. There are very few performance parts made for that motor and the tuning support is weak to say the least. I've done cam swaps on LS and LTs in the car which have less space to work with than the 3.4 so space shouldn't be an issue if you do dive off into this. You will have to remove the radiator, fans and A/C condenser though.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged... changing
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: Sold, bought it back still stock.
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the information bud.
I get what your say. I know this isn't the best package car to build loads of horse power...
I'm not really looking to make tonz of power.
I'm mainly after that good ole lopey sound.
If I manage to pick up 10 or more hp at the wheels I'll be happy.
I'm just wanting to build that - good looking - good sounding ride.
Anymore advice? Thanks again T A!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Believe you can swap the upper intake with a later model 3400 series intake from a FWD car. You'll have to shave it a little to fit under cowl, but as I recall it's a direct bolt on otherwise and flows much better than the y-shaped plenum.

I glanced at a cam when I had a 3.4, but it seems like there was less than a handful of options.

There are no long tube headers for the 3.4 that I'm aware of. You're basically looking at Pacesetter shorties or a custom set. They won't give you a lope, but they'll provide a few HP if you get rid of some other restrictions in the stock exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone
Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK047 View Post
Believe you can swap the upper intake with a later model 3400 series intake from a FWD car. You'll have to shave it a little to fit under cowl, but as I recall it's a direct bolt on otherwise and flows much better than the y-shaped plenum.

I glanced at a cam when I had a 3.4, but it seems like there was less than a handful of options.

There are no long tube headers for the 3.4 that I'm aware of. You're basically looking at Pacesetter shorties or a custom set. They won't give you a lope, but they'll provide a few HP if you get rid of some other restrictions in the stock exhaust.

Awsome info BK! Man I appreciate that bud!
So I'm now on the hunt for a later mode 3400 intake from a pontiac grand am or grand pre.
I'll run with some shorty headers.... from what I have read there just as good as long tube if done right.

If you think of anymore info let me know
Old 12-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

If you're simply looking for rumble, I'd recommend a high flow cat, and glass pack right under the seat, then pipe the rest of the exhaust right out the back. It may sound crazy, but it completely turned around the sound of the 3.1l camaros I've had. It's my go to for the V6 cars.

As mentioned, intake modifications are interesting and can give you the input of air that the modified exhaust pulls. I'd recommend K&N FIPK for the intake. Remove the TB and get out the Dremel and have fun for a few hours. Remove manifold, and polish and port the TB opening. That's about all you can do to the upper, but the lower is much easier to get to with hand files, and dremel tools. *Note all gaskets will need to be modified slightly*

Apart from the easy, cheap options. I highly recommend you do not dig too far into the engine. You'll do a munch of work and never be fully satisfied by the results. I've listed cheap, or free ways, to get the most without being dissatisfied. Good luck!
egbandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 AM   #7

So just a fast quick note on the cam....
I talked with comp cams and they said about the best they can do is 212/212 440/440 with a 110 lobe separation. Anyone know the stock cam specs? Price is 325 for the complete kit.
16-233-4 comp cams.
Anyone got a clue what kinds lope I might get out of this? Thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:10 AM   #8

This Jimmy don't sound to bad! Supposably the same cam! https://youtu.be/hi8HiGus9mQ
Old 12-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The 3.4 is basically a CAI from factory. The K&N will help but they're $250 as I remember. You could simply replace the ribbed piping with smooth-walled pipe to cut some turbulence. I've actually seen it done on a budget with hi-temp ABS and rubber/silicone elbows.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanNboosted View Post
So just a fast quick note on the cam....
I talked with comp cams and they said about the best they can do is 212/212 440/440 with a 110 lobe separation. Anyone know the stock cam specs? Price is 325 for the complete kit.
16-233-4 comp cams.
Anyone got a clue what kinds lope I might get out of this? Thanks guys!
All I'm saying man is for that $325 you can get the same gains, more reliably, and increase the sound factor, without pulling the motor apart. Not to mention, if you're deciding to sell and buy bigger, swapping a cam is just way to much work for a throwaway car, when you can spend the same or less money and get equal or greater results.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by egbandman View Post
All I'm saying man is for that $325 you can get the same gains, more reliably, and increase the sound factor, without pulling the motor apart. Not to mention, if you're deciding to sell and buy bigger, swapping a cam is just way to much work for a throwaway car, when you can spend the same or less money and get equal or greater results.

Um no. The mods you mentioned will not provide the same results as a cam also porting a lower intake with hand files while still installed on the car is begging for engine damage. You won't get the same performance or sounds results as with a cam.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged... changing
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: Sold, bought it back still stock.
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 T/A View Post
Um no. The mods you mentioned will not provide the same results as a cam also porting a lower intake with hand files while still installed on the car is begging for engine damage. You won't get the same performance or sounds results as with a cam.
the 3.4 can't handle a cam that would give any more power that the mods I recommended. I mentioned way more than porting intake, not to mention, never would I recommend porting anything while still being on the car.....

now for some real numbers. The 3.4l V6, having indirect injection, and 160 bhp.
If ideally a cam gains him 10 rwhp, how can you honestly say that an optimized exhaust, optimized manifold, and intake, wont get him the same 10rwhp? Most performance muffler companies claim 10% gains. pessimistically, let's say the entire exhaust must be swapped from manifold back. A local exhaust shop can custom build you an exhaust with high flow cat, glass pack, and straight piped to the back for less than $300. the 10% gain from all of that (pessimistically remember) is a 16 hp gain. Factor in 20% loss to the wheels, 13hp gain to the wheels. Now, he spent less money, and got a higher gain, and hasn't touched the intake yet.

Porting the manifold (can't believe I have to clarify) outside of the car, should yield around a 5% gain on the 3.4. Another 5% gain with optimized intake piping, and high flow air filter. Spend another $75 and you're right close to the $350 mark he claimed the cam would cost. another 10% increase. Another potential 13 rwhp gained.

Total of 26 RWHP gained from spending nearly the same amount of money, and more than double the requested HP gains. I personally delve into these cars regularly. And have had that same exhaust setup on several cars, and have heard the sound improvements that this exhaust setup can make.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #13

Garage
Has anyone addressed the fact that the heads are severely limiting on the 3.4? What are you going to do with all that intake & TB if the heads can't pull any more air through? A cam with more duration will help some, but like egbandman says you'll maybe see 10 hp out of it.

Also FYI the K&N kit for this car (which I have) advertises somewhere around 15 hp of improvements, but if you look closely at the dyno that's on a 5.7.

There ARE things you can do with a 3.4 but there's a reason GM switched to the 3.8 in 95, and also why the 3400 motor has different heads. What I'd really like to see is the same intake plenum, ported, with better heads on the same block. Then a cam & some exhaust could be more fun...
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote