Camaro Zone Forums banner

Engine replacement noob

7K views 80 replies 12 participants last post by  SergheiS 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am currently attempting a top pull of my engine on a 2002 3.8 Camaro, anyways, never done this, stupid questions lie ahead. I've warned y'all.

First question, this black support, I took the bolts out of it, now how do I wedge it out from between the mount? This is near the black flexplate cover.

EDIT: Forgot photo, but nevermind, managed to find my way in and got the torque converter bolts off.

Anyways, bellhouse bolts, any special way to get those out?

Sent from my XT1060 using Camaro Zone mobile app

#49 ·
A V-6 at idle shakes because a cylinder doesn't fire every 90 degrees of crank rotation like a V-8.

#54 ·
My 3.8 doesn't shake much at all at idle. I mean to the point you hardly know its running.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

#57 ·
I just know it shook a bit when I started it up warm, but then went away when I tapped the gas. I managed to do this here a few times, but now it starts rough even cold and giving it some throttle doesn't help anymore, so I'm guessing this is an inherited issue.

#60 ·
Whatever it is I'm gonna just let the mechanic figure this one out for me since I'm in college and don't have much time to handle it, need my exhaust manifolds done properly as well while it's there, the valve covers are fine turns out it was just a nasty leak.

#61 ·
What's wrong with your exhaust manifolds?

#62 ·
Remember how I had to cut and drill new holes in the exhaust manifold to reconnect it to the y-pipe? The bolts are too small and let small bits of exhaust into the bay. At first I thought it was my valve covers smoking till I tightened it, but I guess that's still not enough...

#63 ·
If its before the o2 sensor that's probably your shaking problem

#69 ·
So I'm just wondering, what would be considered "over hearing" on these? Because my temperature gauge sometimes goes towards the end of the white 210 mark (only in city traffic though), but never over it. Is this ok? I'm gonna flush the system soon, but wanted to ask if this is normal.

#71 ·
So I'm just wondering, what would be considered "over hearing" on these? Because my temperature gauge sometimes goes towards the end of the white 210 mark (only in city traffic though), but never over it. Is this ok? I'm gonna flush the system soon, but wanted to ask if this is normal.

Forgot to post, it sometimes goes to the right side of that mark but again, never over it, just more on it.

Yes, that is normal, especially for city traffic. Keep in mind, the low speed fans don't come on until 221° and high speed fans @ 235°, unless the a/c is on.

#72 ·
Iirc in the later 3.8s its actually a dummy gauge, so that's probably normal. My 02 bird just hangs out around there, unless there is a problem. Hptuners is showing lower than 210(usually around 190ish) but the gauge always stays there.

#73 ·
Well, I suppose final question, but code P0332- how long can I expect to keep driving on a bad knock sensor, even though the car feels fine and as usual?

Also, while I'm waiting on my set of crow's feet to come in, what's a good way to reach the one on the passenger side?

#77 ·
But it should give you the ability to move around under the engine in the area more-
It is Directly above the Kframe under the head. So i found taking the tires off I was Able to reach more things in harder area's such as this.
I should have been more descriptive :/

#78 ·
Well, either way, access aside, how long can I survive like this, even if the car runs as usual?
Knock sensor is kind of important, but if it's not knocking then it's hard to say the severity of how bad the sensor actually is...

If it'll be a little bit before you can get to it, just make sure you keep your foot out of it...don't make it suddenly need to advance itself faster than need be...in other words, accelerate slowly...

#81 · (Edited)
So this just fell out randomly...one end matches the knock sensor connection, but both knock sensors are plugged in... And I'm not sure where the other end goes...anyone have any idea what this is?

In other news, replaced the sensor now, so lets see if it clears...

UPDATE: cable probably fell out of a box and I dragged it under with me, but I replaced the sensor and cleared the OBD, so let's see if it pops back..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.