intermitent service engine light - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Send a message via AIM to adio
intermitent service engine light

while driving my 94 camaro the service engine light randomly comes on and then will eventually go off. it is a 3.4 v6 5spd i only comes on while driving its never on at start up. I was thinking it might be an o2 sensor what do you guys think?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
CZ Supporter
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Send a message via AIM to whitdog54
Possibly, know anyone who can scan it? Does it drive fine?
2000 Firebird- Pacesetter headers & y-pipe | catco 3" CAT | slp factory dual exhaust | whisper lid w/ K&N filter | aluminum DS | GU6/G80 | 1LE sway bars | LCA Relo's | SFCs | FTRA | 3" E-cut out | 1/4: [email protected]

2000 Camaro Z28- SLP lid/smooth bellows | SLP LM1 | UMI SFCs/STB | 2.73s | [email protected] | 321HP/327TQ
whitdog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Ambitious, but Rubbish

Garage
Watch it closely. If the light clicks on after you let off the gas, most likely your EGR Valve. Mines been going off for a while now, just haven't fixed it yet. It's a quite common problem with our 3.4's (and quite a few other engines as well since they all use the same type).

New they're somewhere around 150 bucks I believe. Easy to install as well. Just a couple bolts.

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Rocket 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #4

cool ill try to keep an eye on it thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
when i bought my car that same problem was happining. took it in to have it checked out and ended up spending about $300 on a major tune up and then it was fixed. and rides great ever since. they told me it was an engine misfire.

2001 Firebird V6 - 5spd, T-tops - SOLD
1988 Firebird V8 - auto, T-tops, Flowmaster - SOLD

= = = = =
fbody01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbody01 View Post
when i bought my car that same problem was happining. took it in to have it checked out and ended up spending about $300 on a major tune up and then it was fixed. and rides great ever since. they told me it was an engine misfire.
I wont get started into this, but if someone says "Engine Misfire" it just means they dont know what exactly is wrong with it besides its misfiring. Be very careful with shops that want to fix a 'misfire'.

When something like that goes wrong, dont instantly let them talk you into a tune-up. That is a general term, and is different for every technician. Get them to accurately diagnose the problem and fix it. Many times, "tune-ups" will just be them replacing a list of items that dont need to be replaced.
Phate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to camarobuff88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
I wont get started into this, but if someone says "Engine Misfire" it just means they dont know what exactly is wrong with it besides its misfiring. Be very careful with shops that want to fix a 'misfire'.

When something like that goes wrong, dont instantly let them talk you into a tune-up. That is a general term, and is different for every technician. Get them to accurately diagnose the problem and fix it. Many times, "tune-ups" will just be them replacing a list of items that dont need to be replaced.
thats exactly right "phate" because i work at a parts store like advance auto parts, napa, autozone, carquest etc... i listed since i guess rule books say not to tell where you work... but when you go to a mechanic shop and say "i need a tune-up" you mine as well get down on your knees and get whipped by you mechanic and expect a minimum of a 500$ "REPAIR"

answer to you problem it could be a bad knock sensor and and under normal driving theres a certian amount of vibration and the worn/ bad knock sensor is oversensitive or sending the wrong signal
camarobuff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

it seems like the more i drive it the less it comes on
Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket 442 View Post
Watch it closely. If the light clicks on after you let off the gas, most likely your EGR Valve. Mines been going off for a while now, just haven't fixed it yet. It's a quite common problem with our 3.4's (and quite a few other engines as well since they all use the same type).

New they're somewhere around 150 bucks I believe. Easy to install as well. Just a couple bolts.
i think this is the right answer

Tags
1994, 3.4l, camaro, egr, ses, ses light, valve