Radio and Subs not working - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > V6 Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Radio and Subs not working

To start out I have a Sony head unit and a Rockford Fosgate punch 125.2 amp with 2 8" subs. Over the past year or so, during long drives the subs will quit for 5-30 min. Recently they would work for up to 2 minutes after starting and turn off until I restarted the car. Now they don't turn on at all and the radio won't find any station. CD player and auxiliary cord works along with door and back seat factory speakers. With car on I see a red bulb on the amp that I assume is a power light but it is also not on. Swapped out outside car antenna and looked at fuses on driver side. Anyone have any input? Cause my speakers don't.
grant04nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
CZ's Turbo Gawd
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Sounds like the head unit is crapping out. Hook the signal wire to a 12+ and see if the amp comes on. Vehicles I had aftermarket radios in usually have to replace the unit after 4 years or so.

-1994 Trans Am Gt: caged... changing
-2011 Camaro SS convertible: Sold, bought it back still stock.
94 T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 T/A View Post
Sounds like the head unit is crapping out. Hook the signal wire to a 12+ and see if the amp comes on. Vehicles I had aftermarket radios in usually have to replace the unit after 4 years or so.
Depending on the unit, it could be bad. lower end brands. mainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant04nav View Post
To start out I have a Sony head unit and a Rockford Fosgate punch 125.2 amp with 2 8" subs. Over the past year or so, during long drives the subs will quit for 5-30 min. Recently they would work for up to 2 minutes after starting and turn off until I restarted the car. Now they don't turn on at all and the radio won't find any station. CD player and auxiliary cord works along with door and back seat factory speakers. With car on I see a red bulb on the amp that I assume is a power light but it is also not on. Swapped out outside car antenna and looked at fuses on driver side. Anyone have any input? Cause my speakers don't.
Could be a hack job install. if the installer didnt know what was being done, the amp could be wired wrong, radio wired wrong etc. you would be amazed at what i have seen.
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Radio and Subs not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant04nav View Post
I will assume the head unit is powering the main speakers and the amp is powering the 2-8" subs.
Being a 2 channel amp, I will guess it's wired 1 sub per channel?
I have owned many RF amp's in the past and they are pretty much bullet proof if treated right. Amp's have a remote turn on input that connect to the head units "remote turn-on lead" (wire). This wire is blue or blue/white stripe. This wire also has to be connected correctly. If this wire is losing connection and connecting for some reason the amp will act like it is now, going on and off.
Yes, the red LED is a power "on" light.
Sounds like the amp is loosing power, OR, going into "protect" mode. Protect mode meaning:
1) it's seeing too low of an impedance (resistance, ohms) load, being an RF amp, this is unlikely.

2) amp is getting too hot. Again, probably not, RF amp's produce a lot of heat (not very efficient), but I have never had an RF amp shut down from heat.
3) speaker or power short. This "could" be the issue. Speaker wires shorting or power wires shorting. This will cause the amp to go into protect mode, but, there should be another LED indicator for this. The RED power LED shouldn't go out. The amp would just go into protect mode and light up a different color LED ( yellow?).

As for the radio station tuning / antenna issue. When you replaced the antenna, did you connect it correctly? A stereo having issues finding station is an antenna problem. Or maybe the antenna isn't good enough (short stubby).

Go through and check all connections to make sure they are connected correctly.

If you can't figure this out on your own and live in the USA, you can call me and I will assist you with this. I won't be able to do this til Saturday though. If you want to call me, PM me and I will will PM you my number. My number is also listed on my website. I am a Vendor on here "ercsaudio.com" .. Which is short for Eric's Car Audio.
I will assist you in any way I can. Just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Camaro Zone App

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/

Last edited by Ercmann; 01-14-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 T/A View Post
I think you're right. I took the head unit out and checked the wires in the back but I didn't have a 12+ on me so I put it back. When I turned the car on they started working but the radio is still out. Maybe the head unit needed to get reset or the wires were loose. Radio might be a different problem but I'll probably replace the head unit if I get any more troubles from it. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Garage
Sorry if this is really late but it turns out the battery was the problem, I had a friend replace it when it died when I was away for a couple months and the one that got put it didn't have the required number of CCA that my car needed. So I'm guessing that why it would at first cut in and out and then not work altogether once it got weaker with age.

Tags
amp, antenna, radio, speakers