98 Z28, o2 sensor connectors? + free car story - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

98 Z28, o2 sensor connectors? + free car story

My question is where are the 4 oxygen sensor connectors?

I'm installing the stock exhaust manifolds/cats with 4 sensors and removing the headers that only had 2 connected. So I know where the main connectors are but I can't find the rear ones!

If you care, here's the backstory:

I'm a VW / BMW / Honda guy my whole life. The only American thing I've had is my Ford truck I use for towing race cars and motorcycles to the race track, and I work on the Ford as little as possible.

But a few weeks ago I got a 98 Z28 auto with 80k miles from a friend. The car has been sitting in his garage for 10 years. It's been sitting ever since he spun a rod bearing (I guess that's a common problem?), and then rebuilt the bottom end and installed headers with no cats.

Even though he fixed the car, the problem is that we live in California--land of the smog nazis. So after his header swap, the next time he had to register the car, he couldn't smog it so he couldn't register it.

He never did anything else for some reason, and so it sat in his parents garage for 10 years. Eventually they told him it had to go because it was taking up space. So he gave it to me, knowing I could and would fix it up.

Yay free car!

The first thing I figured out was that the motor turned over fine with a wrench, but then would only start when I cranked it if I was spraying carb cleaner down the t-body. Obviously a fuel problem.
The next check was to check for fuel, so I jumpered the fuel pump and it would not run.
I did some research and found out you have to drop the damn fuel tank to even touch the fuel pump.

The car was still on the trailer at this point because it didn't even run enough to unload it and move around my driveway.

I didn't want to drop the tank, so I cut the trunk access hole to reach the pump from the top. Once I pulled the pump out, it was obvious that it wouldn't run because it was basically a huge ball of rust and it was disintegrating in my hands.

The whole inside of the tank was disgusting with rust too. Fuel sitting around for 10 years will tend to do that. It also turns out the 98 Camaro is the only year with a metal tank....

This is just some of the rust chunks I scooped out

Needing a new pump, I bought a $230 Delphi pump/sender unit.

After that I siphoned out the tank (accidentally spraying my friend in the face with nasty old gas lol) and I scooped out and vaccumed out as much rust as I could get to from the top.

I then installed the pump, a new fuel filter, put some gas in, and it fired right up!!

I took it off the trailer, then I drove it around and thought "Damn this thing is fast and loud, even with the automatic" (I hate autos)

Anyway, knowing it was a matter of time before the fuel pump screen and fuel filter both clogged with the rust I wasn't able to clean out, I took the car to a shop and told them to drop the tank out and clean and reseal the tank.

I had read on some forums (probably this one) about how difficult it is to drop the tank, and without my own lift, I'll happily pay someone $600 to do that process for me.

After the tank was cleaned and reinstalled it was running great. Now I just needed to smog it and register it in my name. So it was time to install the stock manifolds and cats.

That brings us to today where I've just bought some old stock manifolds and a stock y-pipe with cats from Craigslist. I'm gonna install them and get the car to pass smog.

So my friend and I removed the headers today (what a BITCH to remove, plus I broke a spark plug in the process of banging the headers around).
Now we're ready to install the stock stuff tomorrow.

But I notice that now there's 2 extra o2 sensors that weren't on the old headers and I can't find the plugs for them to plug into. Can anyone help with this?

Also, can anyone identify these headers that came off the car? I don't know what brand they are (click for big) And how much they are worth? I'm probably going to sell them.

Last edited by aventari; 01-08-2017 at 01:31 AM.
aventari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,092 Posts
Garage
The two heated sensors are before the catalytic converters the two unheated are after the converters.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 217k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles. Total repaint 193k Miles
26PPH injectors.
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
The two heated sensors are before the catalytic converters the two unheated are after the converters.
Are the connectors identical?
aventari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
The "Senior" Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,092 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aventari View Post
Are the connectors identical?
No, the heated are 4 wire and the unheated two IIRC.

96 T/A, Black/Graphite Leather, T-Tops, 6 speed, 10 speaker Delco/Bose "Monsoon"
Original owner, 217k miles and counting.
Total engine rebuild at 187,020 miles. AIR delete, bored .030 over.
Comp cams Xtreme Energy LT1 266HR-14 street cam and springs.
Custom leather interior at 190k miles. Total repaint 193k Miles
26PPH injectors.
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:42 AM   #5

Thanks, aventari nice sharing, two heated sensors are before the catalytic converters the two unheated are after the converters. I am also using the same truck for towing roadside assistance nyc, and working fine for me and very happy with the performance.
martinbrown179 is offline   Reply With Quote