Shocks - Page 2 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 4th Gen (1998-02) Camaro and Firebird Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #21
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai View Post
Okay, so I was looking at cincy performance, and was wondering what the difference between KYB GR-2 1993-2002 Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am Front Shock and KYB Gas A-Just 1993-2002 Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am Front Shock was, other than the price.
GR2 is non adjustable and the valving isn't as good as the KYB AGX. I'm guessing the GR-2 is an updated version of the Gas A-Just? They'll work if you're looking for a slightly better than stock option. Much better than Monroe or Gabriel or Bausch & Lomb or whatever $20-a-piece people have been recommending...
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #22
Addicted Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Send a message via AIM to R6Biker
Apparently not everyone has as thick a wallet as you Zex!

98 Camaro 3800 Black Ram Air
99 Camaro SS SLP LPM #4554
R6Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #23
Token Firebird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Biker View Post
Apparently not everyone has as thick a wallet as you Zex!
Says the guy with 2 F-bodies! I've got shock and spring swaps down to a science, as well as picture-perfect cotter pin installations . Gabriel, Monroe, Bausch & Lomb, Hewlett Packard, General Electric, or Kirkland Signature shocks don't go anywhere near a car that I will be upgrading.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-26-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I think I looked at the GR2 for the hell of it, and they are usually marketed as a "low pressure gas twin tube design" as seen here: KYB GR-2 - Shockwarehouse.com I'm no expert either, but I feel like most reviews I read on GR2's labeled them as a mediocre improvement when you can spend another $80-$100 and get the AGX's.

The KYB AGX seem to be a very nice mid-range alternative to stock since you can adjust them to your liking--I'm considering them myself when my ship comes in. Bilstein only markets their HD shocks for F-bodies now, and I understand that they can feel a bit too stiff for some people. Gabriels and Monroes tend to be OEM style (or "slightly better") shocks, so if OEM's what you have now and you don't like them, you'll probably want to steer clear of those too. On the plus side for adjustable shocks, they're, well... adjustable. So, if you don't like them right away you can try different setings until you find something you do like.

Of course, if you're like me and aren't racing or doing a lot of performance driving, you probably want the better shocks for a smoother ride and a little better handling on Interstate ramps and curvaceous country roads and such... I definitely wouldn't shell out $900 for a set of KONI (though I hear they're better than sex) but I wouldn't waste $100 on some off-brand crap either.

Basically, it depends on your price range, how important they are to you (and your car), and how much longer you intend to keep your car: 5 years? Sure, drop $500 on some nice ones because you'll keep wishing you had. 5 months? Eh, not so much.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
Addicted Member

Send a message via AIM to R6Biker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Says the guy with 2 F-bodies! I've got shock and spring swaps down to a science, as well as picture-perfect cotter pin installations . Gabriel, Monroe, Bausch & Lomb, Hewlett Packard, General Electric, or Kirkland Signature shocks don't go anywhere near a car that I will be upgrading.

haha, I'm just teasin ya. I agree. If you've got the money to upgrade to the Konis, Bils, then absolutely get em. He just didn't state his initial budget so a couple of us just provided him the "just to get on the road again" option. Btw, it's a mirror trick, I've only got one F Body! lol

98 Camaro 3800 Black Ram Air
99 Camaro SS SLP LPM #4554
R6Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #26
Texas... F'k yeah

Send a message via AIM to Battousai Send a message via Yahoo to Battousai
Okay, im pretty sure im gonna get the KYB AGX ones, but what would you recommend for the lowering springs?
Battousai wins the "best explanation ever" award.
Battousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #27
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I haven't necessarily used these, but I know what's good and what sucks. I don't have it down to a science, but I'm not totally lost. Zex, you recommended Koni's, but have you ever used them in your car? I was just trying to tell him what would be good in all price ranges. And I was right. Konis are the best, they're also the most expensive...

EDIT: Oh yeah, Monroes do suck. (Though currently they're better than the stock shocks. that were nearly completely worn out) Trust ME on that one

Last edited by SnIpEr; 01-26-2010 at 03:16 PM.
SnIpEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #28
Token Firebird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnIpEr View Post
I haven't necessarily used these, but I know what's good and what sucks. I don't have it down to a science, but I'm not totally lost. Zex, you recommended Koni's, but have you ever used them in your car? I was just trying to tell him what would be good in all price ranges. And I was right. Konis are the best, they're also the most expensive...

EDIT: Oh yeah, Monroes do suck. (Though currently they're better than the stock shocks. that were nearly completely worn out) Trust ME on that one
If you are going to go through the trouble of installing new shocks and/or springs, you should do it right the first time. It is not cheap to pay a shop for just the labor to install them, and it is not easy to do it yourself if you don't have somebody helping and have not done it before. Installing cheap ass shocks in a car you may intend to keep & mod is the wrong thing to do, but you let it happen to your car.

I have installed Koni's before on F-bodies and a BMW M3 and have ridden in cars with them installed. Over time I have installed on my car: KYB AGX, Bilstein HD, Edelbrock, and as far as springs: stock V6, stock 93-96 V8, Edelbrock/Eibach, and Hypercoils. On other cars I have installed Tokico, Koni, KYB AGX, and stock. You paid a shop to install the cheapest possible shocks. Anything is better than worn out stock ones, but only a few are better than BRAND NEW stock ones. Monroes and Gabriels aren't really any better than new OEM ones.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-26-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #29
Call me... MR. SnIpEz

I meant trust me that Monroes suck, not that theyr better thean OEM. And I didn't pay for the shocks. I hadjust bought the car about 3 days before and knew NOTHING about F-bodies. I didn't even know what type of engine the v6 was, let alone what shocks were best. I've learned quite a lot since then, and I did NOT walk into the shop thinking that I'll waste time and money on crappy shocks. If I made that mistake now, that would be unacceptable, but owning the car for 3 days let's me off the hook, methinks. And do you disagree with what I said earlier? KYB are good shocks for a good price, Bilsteins are better, Konis are best?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #30
Token Firebird Owner

Quote:
KYB are good shocks for a good price, Bilsteins are better, Konis are best?
Blanket statements like that are why I mentioned your posts in the first place. Valving-wise for stock springs, yes. For lowered applications, it goes Bilstein -> KYB AGX -> Koni because like I posted earlier, the regular Bilstein HD's are not designed for lowered vehicles, and the only difference with the SLP Bilsteins is firmer valving and internal bump stops to prevent increased damage over time. If the OP plans on lowering the vehicle, off-the-shelf Bilstein HD's or Monroes or Gabriels will be a poor choice. Everybodies situation is different and you can't just make blanket statements, especially without knowing the details of your own blanket statement.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-26-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #31
LS Swap It Brah!

Garage
To bad ya have to go lower, I love my Bilsteins HDs. Such a firm but smooth ride. Installing the shocks on a Fbody are quite easy, esp the rear. With the fronts the nut on the top of the shock might be rusted to shit and forcing you torch it off so you can salvage the spring. Hopefully yours isnt rusted like mine was.

96 LS1/T56
07 Yamaha R1
96 LS1 Swap Write Up
COM March 2013

Last edited by AmorPatriae; 01-26-2010 at 06:22 PM.
AmorPatriae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #32
Call me... MR. SnIpEz

^^ I just assumed he was keeping stock height cuz he provided little to no detail. Also, most of what I know about shocks comes from AIM conversations with you Zex :P
Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #33

Garage
i have the KYB AGX's on mine and i love them..with the stock tires i have them all set on the softest setting.. With the vette rims i put the back on the highest and it pretty much eliminates any rub.. i recommend them
DecencyxDefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #34
Texas... F'k yeah

Quote:
When i get them, I will probably be getting lowering springs at the same time.
Quote:
Okay, im pretty sure im gonna get the KYB AGX ones, but what would you recommend for the lowering springs?

Quote:
^^ I just assumed he was keeping stock height
So... What would you recommend for lowering springs?
And for the Install, I have replaced my friend's shocks a couple of times, so I'm not paying anyone to do it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #35
Slow'erAss

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Luos
If you are getting AGX's....don't lower it.
The AGX aren't valved to handle higher spring rates. They will be better than stock shocks, but they will still wear out VERY fast.

If you are going to lower it, save up the coin for the Koni's. Most all shocks are designed for the stock spring rates of the stock springs.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds
Mr. Luos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #36
Texas... F'k yeah

Okay, so using that information, if they wear out really fast with the lowered springs, and I really don't have enough to pay for Koni's and springs, I will keep it the stock height.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #37
Slow'erAss

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Luos
You can lower it with the AGX's.

They will perform better than most other shocks. But they are still going to be a bit rough, and the high spring rates will beat on them and wear them out.

Koni's are pricey, but offer so much more. Don't even need springs to lower the car 1/2" or so with the Koni's. Can use the lower perch setting on the fronts and do the heater hose trick to drop the back.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds
Mr. Luos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #38
Token Firebird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass View Post
If you are getting AGX's....don't lower it.
The AGX aren't valved to handle higher spring rates. They will be better than stock shocks, but they will still wear out VERY fast.

If you are going to lower it, save up the coin for the Koni's. Most all shocks are designed for the stock spring rates of the stock springs.
Where did you hear/read that? AGX's are very reliable for use on a car lowered up to 1.5", with any of the various off-the-shelf F-body aftermarket lowering spring rates (550/150, etc.). The AGX at setting 1 (the softest) is 10% stiffer in compression AND rebound than OEM deCarbon shocks. The AGX knob at 8 (stiffest) is 80% stiffer than deCarbon. If you do not properly match the shock stiffness setting to the stiff spring rate they will wear out prematurely from compensating for excess loads. They are by far the best option out of any aftermarket shocks aside from Konis & Strange. I know plenty of people who have been using them on their lowered cars for a long time, and I haven't heard any complaints aside from them wishing they could afford Konis.

P.S. This is hopefully my last post in this topic.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-27-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #39

I have AGX's on my car and it's lowered. I put them on just over 3 years and I've never had any issues... Have them set on 5. After everything I've read I'd say these are what you want. If you're like me then you'd like to have the best but it's just not practical at this time, but like Zex has said if you're going to change them you might as well make it worth the time.
J.White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #40
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Korndogg
Quote:
Korndogg just said today he's never buying anything from them again.
No I'll buy from summit again. I won't buy summit BRAND parts again.

Korndogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shock, shocks, suspension